Parkway re-opening! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Parkway re-opening!

May 15 is the date set for the re-opening of the Parkway north of Asheville. That will allow us to avoid the long superslab detour to reach Mt. Mitchell and points north. Yeehah! Just in time for some great spring trips to the Grandfather Mtn./Boone region.

I've got a new seat testing buddy for the Vee - he's not too impressed with the job - thinks it's too hard for his tender butt.

From yesterday's local loop - it's a short (about 80 mile) ride that offers up a lot of variety. Flatlands, twisty, steep climbs, deserted watershed riding, rolling Piedmont farmland, a big mountain lake, steep cliffs, small villages and a final dash through apple country to check out the longhorns at the Camp. It's a good way to start the day.

View out over the lower Green River Valley, looking north towards the high peaks of the Black Range.

The previous shot was taken from the distant peak in this photo - that's Tryon Peak, near Tryon and Columbus, NC. I'm standing by Hwy. 9 to get the shot, between Mills Springs and Lake Lure, NC. This is a cool country highway, roller-coastering over the hills and rivers of the upper Piedmont before entering the mountains again at Lake Lure. It was a blue sky day that seemed to have everybody in a great mood - even the numerous cops along the way waved as I passed by, and one even stopped while I was shooting these shots to talk biking - he was a nice fellow that was really interested in the adventure biking theme.

Lake Lure - part of the Dirty Dancing movie was filmed at a camp on this lake. (Ok, it was a long time ago, but not a half bad movie.)

Don't believe it - the longhorns are a bunch of laid back *****cats! That's the healthiest looking, most contented herd of bovines that I've ever encountered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Always a pleasure visiting your threads!!!!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Always a pleasure visiting your threads!!!!
Pleasure? PLEASURE?!?
The envy/jealousy is blackening my soul...
Is it wrong for me to hate you for your good fortune whilst I suffer in my own little swamp a full day's ride from any decent pavement worthy of my V?

Glad to hear the Blue Ridge is open again. I wasn't happy last year when we had to take the detours. (Though there was one nice twisty bit on 80...)

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!er

I really enjoy this forum - it's very well run with a great bunch of people visiting. It's been a terrific source of info for me since I got the Vee - and I've met some terrific new riding buddies as well.
One thing that I'd like to ask - there's a lot of folks in other countries that might not post because they feel that they're not that familiar with the English language. For my part, that doesn't matter at all. I love the reports from other parts of the world and it's the ride that counts, not how well the words are put together. I think that a lot of times, the different ways of saying things add something to an account that might be missing otherwise. Not only that, but if they can speak any of more than one language, they have my full admiration. I've struggled for years to pick up a little German and Spanish and still can't carry a conversation in either. So - if you're out there and have a tale to tell, or photos to share, lay 'em on us. I especially enjoy photos from other countries, such as the ones that were recently posted from Poland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode