Hurricane Gap ride near Hot Springs - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hurricane Gap ride near Hot Springs

Good ride with Jenny, Jon, Neil, and others last Sunday over near Hot Springs, NC. We found some mud, lots and lots of mud, a few dusty backroads, a truck on the wrong side of the road, and some good twisties between the Parkway and Hot Springs. Excellent ride with one major exception. Hope that all is well with the Beemer - that's the only Beemer that I ever think that I'd like to have.
We met at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville on a perfect blue-sky day and headed north to Bull Gap. From there we cut down the mountain and over to Banardsville, passing the Vance birthplace historical site along the way. Just outside Banardsville, we picked up the Beech Glen road and rode over to Mars Hill where we picked up old Hwy. 19/23. I have a favorite route from 19/23 over to Hot Springs that twists and turns through some good back roads along Big Laurel Creek.

Here's a shot from last fall from alongside the Big Laurel Creek road. I'd like to get the group back on that one to set up some good riding shots.

Neil, when we turned off the Big Laurel Creek road at the church to climb over the ridge towards Hot Springs, the pic above shows what it looks like if we'd continued going straight towards Walnut Creek and Marshall. That's a good ride in its own right, with a big climb and some great smooth sweeping turns. The downside is that it comes out right at Marshall instead of linking up with the Hot Springs region. I use that route sometimes when I'm coming back from the Erwin region of Tennessee and I'm in a hurry to get home.

A few miles east of Hot Springs, we turned off onto the Hurricane Gap road (the start of that one is at the cutoff just below the point where the Appalachian Trail crosses Hwy. 25 east of Hot Springs.) The Hurricane Gap Rd. travels over Rich Mtn, crossing at the Gap where the AT also passes by. Descending the other side of Rich Mtn., we dropped down to Paint Creek. There is an intersection there - going downstream, a small paved lane takes you down to Paint Rock by the French Broad River below Hot Springs. Going straight puts you on a tiny paved road that leads you over to Hwy. 107 on the Tennessee side of the border. I think taking that one was what might be considered a 'fateful decision.'

Been covered up this week and haven't had much time to get a report together, plus I found some missing pix from the wet ride that Jon and I did a couple of weeks ago. Gonna slip out between storms now to get in some miles down in the Green River area, but I'll try to get some more stuff together later today.
Neil, have you ever ridden the Pigtail down into Green River Cove below Saluda? There is a terrific loop to be ridden using that to connect on the lower end of the Cove near Lake Adger with the Holberts Cove road that brings you back up the mountain to Saluda. Or... instead of the Holberts Cove road, you can ride on over through Mills Springs to Columbus (great TexMex restaurant on Main St. there) and then up the Skyuka Road for some great high views of the Cove that you just rode through.
I'm going to hope for enough dry road today to get some photos down in the Cove and up on Tryon Peak - that's great riding at this time of the year.

Jon running the bogs on Rich Mtn., not far below Hurricane Gap on the Paint Creek side of the mountain. I think that it was somewhere on this stretch that his fender extender fell off - luckily, sharp-eyed Jenny saw it bouncing away and snatched it up and saved it for him. The mud packing beneath the fender probably squeezed it off the fender.

Here's Neil wondering why I'm stretched out in the weeds beside the road on Rich Mountain...

I have some more pix from the trip here -
http://griztrax.net/backroads/MudBug/HurricaneGap.htm

Hey Jon! The green Vee in this pic look familiar? That's your ride on the day that it was un-crated at MR, waiting for you to take it home. Anybody know the guy on the red Vee? He's an Asheville rider and convinced me to make the Vee my next ride. You can see my old red Ninja over towards the end of the line of bikes.

Hey, anybody that is unhappy with the seat on the Vee (as I am) should check out the mods that Neil made to his. He did the work himself and having had the chance to sit on the new seat, I've decided to make that my next big project. I put some links into some detailed tips about do it yourself seats here -
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=3457

Having seen what Neil did, I know now that it can be done, and it can be done without spending the big bucks for an aftermarket saddle.

Last edited by VeeWNC; 05-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 04:42 PM

Well Done!

Great trip report!

I guess that settles the question of the off-road capablities of the Versys!

Monte
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

They do well

Yep, the Vee handles dirt very well. Both Jon and I were running street tires, but were still able to slip and slide through the pudding, albeit with a bit of acrobatics at times. I don't plan to do any single track myself, but I do want to get better tires for dirt roads. I like flat-tracking on smooth dirt, but the stock tires are just too squirrely for that kind of fun. A good set of Distanzias will no doubt help out a lot. What the bike needs most is better bite up front - the stock tires tend to push out in loose stuff.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Mornin Dave.

As to be expected, another superb trip report and photo op from you! VERY cool shots and writeup over on your griztrax page. You are one riding MACHINE! Get that seat fixed and you'll be even harder to stop. I've got some shots of the seat mod that i've been 'meaning' to post up. I'll fire them off to you directly.

I actually washed the V after that ride. I'm usually one to let it clean itself on the next ride or in the rain, but the mud was a bit much to leave. Jenny came through sore as hell the follow day or so, and a small scratch on the helmet, but other than that she's all good. Hopefully new tubes will fix it. Incredibly, the lowers don't look bent, and the lower left took the direct hit of the jeep's front bumper. I'm impressed with the build quality of this little GS. I don't think the Versys would fair as well

Did you get in to the rendezvous? Two weeks!

The other red V in the pic above is Hacktracker (Don, in person). We've logged some days on the road and evenings in the bar.

btw...pack your 'Toggs today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode