VT Mad River Twisties Video With a Moose - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
VT Mad River Twisties Video With a Moose

I won one of those flip flash memory video cameras a while ago, from pepsi. I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I found a sports mount for it and strapped it to the handle on my V35 bag. So I decided to see how it works on the twisties going over the mountain right next to the Mad River Ski Area. I think it turned out fairly well but the camera was a bit loose. On the return trip I stopped and grabbed some video of a moose. I didn't want to get to close to this beast so the video quality is rather poor. I've embedded the first 2 parts. If you want to see the rest including the part with the moose check out my you tube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/brothercannon

No Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by brothercannon; 05-13-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Just tweaking the post a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Nice. I've got a Flip also. I've been playing with mounting it on the handlebars. I like your clips. I'll have to get over there and go for a ride.

-Alan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

I think they don't make the mount I got any more. It secures with velcro that wraps around what ever you can think of. I'm thinking a cross bar on the handle bars would the the perfect place. This is what it looks like.

I just moved here in the beginning of the year so I'm still finding the good roads. I should take some video of "the Notch". It's the pass between Stowe and Smugglers Notch. It's a pretty crazy road with blind turns, no yellow line and huge boulders on the sides.

Last edited by brothercannon; 01-11-2010 at 07:16 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Great video! What kind of brake/clutch levers and hand grips do you have on your V? I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to add-ons. IT looks like the brakes are attached to the bar-ends. Am I seeing this correctly or have my college days finally caught up with me?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

aaah...thats the barkbusters attached to the bar-ends!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

You are correct. The aluminum backbone of the barkbusters attach to the handlebars through the bar-ends. The thing you can't get away with using the stock bar-ends because they are too long. If you are planning on getting barkbuster hand guards you should get their Versys specific bar-ends. This does ramp up the cost a bit. My main beef with the barkbusters is that they are designed to be installed with out bar-ends. Because the Versys requires bar-ends it pushes the wind protection out where you won't place your hands. Other than that I think they are great.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
You are correct. The aluminum backbone of the barkbusters attach to the handlebars through the bar-ends. The thing you can't get away with using the stock bar-ends because they are too long. If you are planning on getting barkbuster hand guards you should get their Versys specific bar-ends. This does ramp up the cost a bit. My main beef with the barkbusters is that they are designed to be installed with out bar-ends. Because the Versys requires bar-ends it pushes the wind protection out where you won't place your hands. Other than that I think they are great.
Out of curiosity, why does the Versys REQUIRE bar-ends? There are other fixes if the answer is vibration - fill the bar with silicone'n'BBs, etc. That'd keep the wind protection where it's needed.

OTOH, I've been keeping my hands warm for years with electric gloves without any wind protection. I ran the math for the battery draw on the Versys a few months back, when Motorcycle Consumer News had an article on accessory power. According to that, my Warm'n'Safes shouldn't be a problem theoretically, and in practice (460 mile trip home after purchase & a number of cold-weather commutes since) there have been no issues.

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?
She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."
- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure if you got creative it would be possible to not use the bar-end weights. I've been trying to find the thread that lead me to believe that they were required but I've had no luck. I've been reading some more and I'm pretty sure I could just remove the barends.

Last edited by brothercannon; 04-30-2009 at 05:00 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM

Nice videos. I really like the location of the camera neat to see the V cursing down the road. Speaking of roads that one sure looked fun!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I think they don't make the mount I got any more. ... I just moved here in the beginning of the year so I'm still finding the good roads.
Neat mount; I haven't seen that before. I'm using some pieces from the RAM mount system.

Have you heard of the New England Riders? It's an "un-club" of motorcyclists here in New England. We have a website at http://www.newenglandriders.org and there is an active forum on Delphi (link on the website). There are some cool pages with routes and rides listed on the website -- some of the NERds know some really good roads in the area. Check it out.

-Alan
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Word guy thanks for the info on NER. It looks like something I'll be getting into. Sure enough I found the section of road that I used for the video on one of the routes.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I'm sure if you got creative it would be possible to not use the bar-end weights. I've been trying to find the thread that lead me to believe that they were required but I've had no luck. I've been reading some more and I'm pretty sure I could just remove the barends.
I installed the Buel wind deflectors on my V last night. It was easiest for me to leave the V bar end weights off. I did my first test ride in to work this morning (50 degrees F). So far, I did not notice any difference in vibration in the handle bars. They seemed to keep alot of wind off my hands, but I will have to do more testing and adjusting to know for sure. I was amazed at how well they fit the V! I only needed one addtional part, a 6 mm x 80 mm full threaded bolt and 4 nuts, for the left deflector mount.

Bar end weights also provide some "tip-over" damage protection, so I may eventually either mod my stock ends to fit, or mod some after market ones. The inside lip of the stock weights interfere with the "side returns" of the Buel deflectors, where they bolt into the end of the handle bars.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM

They have great info on the area. I've lived in New England my whole life but I don't know half of the great roads the group does. Sometimes I'll use a posted route as an "instant ride plan". If you sign up to visit the NER forum on Delphi, post up an intro and say hi. I'm "Tbirder" over there.

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bike camera, twisties, vermont

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode