Versys in BRP and Tellico - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys in BRP and Tellico

Last weekend the Versys and I had a meeting down in Tellico Plains, NC at the western end of the Cherohala Skyway and near Deals Gap (The Dragon). The idea was to meet a bunch of old Honda V4 cronies down there at Hunt's Motorcycle lodge but first ride the ol' Blue Ridge Parkway down to Boone, NC and stay at the Willville Campground in Meadows of Dan, VA.

Both campgrounds are great and worth a visit if you're in the area. Twisty roads are everywhere and the cops are minimal (except on the Dragon of course).

Anyway, here are some pics if you're interested. I may post the GPS tracks later but I expect many of you have already been on the BRP, Cherohala and Dragon.

First lets start with some Versys overlook pics!

In Virginia, much of the vistas look like this and get a little more dramatic in North Carolina.

And on the BRP, much of the roads look like this. VERSYS HEAVEN!

There's no doubt the V is a great bike for twisties and an extremely competent all rounder...

...especially when farkled out for touring.

Once at Hunt's Lodge in Tellico I met up with a bunch of old V4 cronies and we did the usual croning and consuming of beans, BBQ and inebriating beverages.

Let not forget good times around camp-fires!

and talking to the wee hours...

Beautiful stars that evening as well. As a matter of fact, the weather couldn't have been better on Friday and Saturday.

---------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

The next morning, the crew got up and prepped to ride the hills and mountains of NC and TN.

A scrumptious breakfast which consists of eegs, biscuts, gravey and cheese potatoes is served to get everyone kick started.

If you haven't been to these places to ride yet, GO. Lots of great people and terrific roads to get your lean on. The Cherohala Skyway is about 46 miles of beautiful sceenery and perfectly smooth sweeping turns cutting through thick forest.

This could be you!

Of course it doesn't take too long before the Sport bikes and motards come on the scene.

But now for perhaps the most famous and well known of twisty roads in the US... Deal's Gap, US129 aka: The Dragon.

This road has collected it's fair share of spills and wipe-outs as the "Tree of Shame" attests to.

The road sports over 300 turns in 11 miles and attracts all kinds of tricked out vehicles besides bikes. Apparently there was two GT40's there scaring the hell out of the motorcyclists the day before I arrived.

- IMAGE FROM US129PHOTOS.COM -

Hi performance cages aside, bikes of all kinds ruled the road and I was lucky to get one spot where I could photograph the traffic. Every good available turn suitable for pictures was taken by local motographic entrepreneuers.

This dude in the new VMax and color coordinated outfit was doing some major peg scraping up and down the dragon.

Last edited by CrazyCarl; 04-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

And speaking of color coordinated suites! Many of the riders there were sporting their bling and trying out for the League of SuperHeros on Bikes.

- Knee Draggin' -

And let's not forget the ladies riding pillion having a good time!

Then there's the ladies riding up front, having probably an even better time!

But after a full day of riding and photography, it was time to head back to the ranch for more delicious eats. BBQ and Motorcycle cakes!

Unfortunately the next day it was time for everyone to pack up in the rain and head home. It was an 11 hour wet day in the saddle to get from Tellico to Northern VA but managed to get and stay ahead of the serious rain.

Good times had by all and now after my first real trip on the Versys I gotta give it a triple thumbs up!

I think I'll be holding on to her for quite some time.

Ride Safe Ya'll,
CC

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM

What a great ride review. Makes me want to ride for sure. As a matter of fact, I will be riding the Skyway in a few sleepless hours and I can't wait! Thanks again for sharing, that was awesome!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
I work with the guy in the first pic in the 2nd post with the silver Blackbird. Said you were a real nice guy. Great pics and awesome website.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Sounds and looks like a great time. My wife and I loved it when we "discovered" the area last year and can't wait to get back. Loved it so much if we can find work we'll be moving there ASAP.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Really great pics. on the Dragon and just to let you know those photo motographic entrpreneuers make good money. And your pics. really are better than most of theres.
Maybe a carreer change is in order.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys and sorry for taking to long to respond. It really is a fantastic place not only to ride but also hang out. Coming from the DC area I enjoy the different pace of life down there, not to mention the good food!

If anyone has any questions or would like to have some GPS tracks, let me know!

Paz,
CC

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhewitt3 View Post
I work with the guy in the first pic in the 2nd post with the silver Blackbird. Said you were a real nice guy. Great pics and awesome website.
Hell yeah, he was there with Ken n' Kin. I spent a few minutes sitting on that BBird and man are those nice bikes! Maybe if you come to our next meeting I won't be the only Versys there!!!

CC

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
what a great ride review. Makes me want to ride for sure. As a matter of fact, i will be riding the skyway in a few sleepless hours and i can't wait! Thanks again for sharing, that was awesome!
well.... Howd your trip go???

cc

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYES View Post
Really great pics. on the Dragon and just to let you know those photo motographic entrpreneuers make good money. And your pics. really are better than most of theres.
Maybe a carreer change is in order.
Jer,

Thanks for the comments on the pics. I take motography very seriously and hope other people do it. Bike take us to such wonder places where we meet such amazing people that is seems a shame by not doing them justice by properly recording and sharing the experience. Like riding, photography is a lifetime of learning and extremely useful on and off the bike. Put them both together and you've captured some great moments for you and the folks you love and respect to appreciate for a long time!

I actually ordered a couple images of myself on the Dragon from one of those companies... and there sure are a lot of them!!! I think lucked into the last available corner to take decent pics. They basically do good job of getting everyone but when operating at that scale (quantity) and turn around time, you know something has to suffer.

As far as career changes go, plenty are in the works. Still trying to promote my film and develop some new and interesting photo/video projects. If you got some interesting ideas, I'm more than happy to hear them. Gotta keep the creative juices flowing you know!

CC

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM

I spent 5/7 through 5/10 doing the same area. We ran up and down the BRP on Friday (5/8)...no LEOs and alomost no cars...it had rained hard earlier in the day. It is absolutely awesome...the runs on the Dragon are fun, but the BRP is just so much fun with those smooth sweeping curves. There are just some many great roads in that area.

We stayed at Docks Motel in Townsend, TN. They owners (Sharron and Bill) are great. They took great care of our group.

Here are my pictures from the weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3595536...32364153/show/

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I agree, Deals Gap is fun but the BRP has almost no traffic and lots of wonderful sweeping turns. Looks like you had the rare weather with a layer of clouds between the mountains and got that "sea of clouds" effect. Wonderful stuff!

How'd the V do with all those VFRs?

CC

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Hung tight with them for three days and wore out a rear tire!!! The only time I couldn't quite keep up was heavy acceleration (passing cars).

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 05-19-2009 at 06:42 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 05:49 PM

I am into photo taking also just have not really put the effort into it that I need to. I have aways wanted to get on a couple of the corners on 129 and take some photos just never have. I have a problem that when I start going I just cant stop.
But that was one of the reasons I bought the bike; so I could do some lite touring and take photos. I have seen some really nice pics and places on this forum and it makes me want to get going even more. Right now I have to deal with work. But sometime this summer I want to go to either Savanna GA. or the Big Easy. Really looking forward to it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I get started and just don't want to stop. I see all kinds of things I would like to shoot, but there either isn't a good place to stop or I am just having too much fun to stop.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

The compelling inertia to stay in motion is great. There are more than a couple (hundred) shot I should have stopped to record but didn't.

Try planning shorter days and making yourself stop. If you know you'll arrive too early, you'll be more inclined to stop and smell the roses. Only problem is, the Versys is so much fun to ride!

CC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode