Which have you ridden? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Which have you ridden?

I was browsing the web and came across this: http://www.forbestraveler.com/advent...er=yahootravel. It is a list of some of the most dangerous stretches of road in the United States.

What I thought is it might be interesting to see who has ridden what, and some of their tales from them. Or, if you can come up with any other stretches of road that you find particularly dangerous, add them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRimaging View Post
I was browsing the web and came across this: http://www.forbestraveler.com/advent...er=yahootravel. It is a list of some of the most dangerous stretches of road in the United States.

What I thought is it might be interesting to see who has ridden what, and some of their tales from them. Or, if you can come up with any other stretches of road that you find particularly dangerous, add them in.
Rode 16 in WVA many times,Us 50 Utah section,Tail of the Dragon,IMHO none were scarie,16 is tight but if you know how to ride NBD,the worse part of the dragon is the line crossing squids.26 in WVA is a tad scarie,the coal buckets will run you down if they wide a turn

AMA EAA STN
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
Rode 16 in WVA many times,Us 50 Utah section,Tail of the Dragon,IMHO none were scarie,16 is tight but if you know how to ride NBD,the worse part of the dragon is the line crossing squids.26 in WVA is a tad scarie,the coal buckets will run you down if they wide a turn
I always thought the worse part of the Dragon was supposed to be the line crossing Semis. Of course, I could be getting this from the line crossing squids....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Ride WV 16 at least a couple a dozen times a year. As long avoid you it during the week when the coal trucks are working it hot and heavy, it's tons o' fun. When coal is booming (not too much danger of that these days) and you ride it during the week, it is indeed a scary sumagun.

WV 10 (a former Forbes scariest) and VA 16 from Tazewell to Marion are no slouches.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM

HWY 1/PCH wasn't at all scary. Traffic was annoying, that's all.
Did the saddle road and TX-170 in a car and found them unremarkable.
Haven't tried Independence Pass, Dalton Hwy, or Hwy 50.
Tail of the Dragon is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. Or with my clothes on. Or maybe even more fun than I've had with my clothes off. It's that good. A downpour in the Smokies soaked me completely through my gear, but I was still grinning from ear to ear for the entire 11 miles.
Haven't been on WV-16 or the Beartooth. Beartooth looks good but my bandit hated altitudes over 10,000 feet and I once got a sudden nasty sinus headache riding up there.
Moki Dugway was the scariest road I've ever ridden. Almost needed a Dr. to remove the seat from my puckered sphincter. I don't know who photoshopped that picture, but I swear it was steeper, taller, and narrower than the picture implies. I don't think I ever took it out of first gear going down, and I idled and braked for most of it. Free range cattle on the top of the Mesa were a threat, and free range horses in the valley below took out one of bikes riding with us.
I-15 is an interstate, which all generally suck. I have never had an enjoyable ride in any sort of vehicle on any interstate in California. Not so much scary, just terrible.

As for other rides, the park road at the top of crater lake was spooky. It was wrapped in a low visibility snow cloud at the time.

666 in Pennsylvania was scary in that it isn't really a road, just a rough contiguous bunch of potholes in various states of disrepair. The fear is that the bike and/or rider will shake itself apart.

190 through Death Valley is scary if you attempt it in July. I've chickened out twice and put the bikes in a U-haul to cross this desert.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode