Apache Trail - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Apache Trail

First off... I'm sorry I don't have pics...
but... I did the Apche Trail run yesterday.
Starting from Scottsdale
A nice set of twisties up to Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flat (had a great lunch in this 6 person town), then about 30 miles of dirt road past Apache lake (one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!), and onto Rooselvelt Dam (Thie biggest mason dam in the world), then followed the pavement up to Miami and, finally took the 60 back home (a nice set of twisties here too, though they was road construction ).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.439453&z=11
It was a great run, did it two up with the GF. Used nearly a full tank of gas, so something around 200ish milles (as I still had about 3/4 a gallon left when I got back).
The bike handled just fine on the dirt roads (they were mostly hard packed gravel and sand, with a few soft spots), once I let some air out of the tires. Once the front tire did dig into a nice patch of sand though and the front dropped about 5 inches, almost fell over with the bike, but I got out just fine.
A great run, if any of you are around AZ, I can point you in that direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Here's a few pics I found on google, just to give you an idea of the roads...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 AM

I bet Arizona provides some great riding on a bike. How was the ride for your GF? Curious on the 2 up ride.

thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

She enjoyed it. The Versys handles fine, and she has never complained of being uncomfortable. I added the backpad to my topcase, and since then she's been asking me to take her for a ride almost every weekend!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Not only wow, but WOW! Looks like a great place to ride!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Looks like a great ride!

I love the desert country. If there is any way possible, I hope to take KawasiMoto to the Four Corners region before the end of the year. It would have been terrific to have taken the Vee over the Burr Trail before the local government ruined it by making it Winnebago friendly.

Hey, you mentioned your gas mileage. I seem to be getting a little better than 50 mpg on most rides. I usually fill up when the guage is down to the last bar but it rarely takes more than about 2.9 gallons to refill. That would leave about 2 gallons in reserve - might not be really accurate, but I like having the cushion in there. Here in the east, it would be hard to find a place that is more than 50 miles or so from a gas station, but I'm prone to pushing my luck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Nice pics AZ. Should hang on to that GF, 200miles on the back is true love

Next time we hook up, lets try that one. I've been up to TFlats for lunch (had my first burger in about 5 years there-excellent) and all round there.

I assume that 'off' road stretch starts immediately after the TFlats bar? How far can you go-is the sand soft?

Looks like I might be in Scottsdale for Xmas this year with the Versys-maybe you'll have some time around then.

Machog

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Nice pics AZ. Should hang on to that GF, 200miles on the back is true love

Next time we hook up, lets try that one. I've been up to TFlats for lunch (had my first burger in about 5 years there-excellent) and all round there.

I assume that 'off' road stretch starts immediately after the TFlats bar? How far can you go-is the sand soft?

Looks like I might be in Scottsdale for Xmas this year with the Versys-maybe you'll have some time around then.

Machog
Yeah the dirt stretch does start almost immediately (a few miles) after T-flats, and it goes about 25 miles up to Roosevelt Lake, along Apache Lake. An awesome ride really. The road is easy, it's maintained by the state once a month, on the 25 miles I rode I only found 1 soft sand patch, and it was easy to get out of.
I will more than likely be aorund here in december, that's one twelfth of my prime riding season! Defenitly let me know when you're around again...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode