First moto camping trip (I hope) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First moto camping trip (I hope)

I'm hoping to do my first motorcycle camping trip this summer. It may or may not happens, depends on the Wifey's plans. The trip I want to do is SF to Sequim, WA, probably 4 days each direction, 250 - 400 miles/day, preferably on the lower side of that range.

I'd like to pack no more than my Givi V35s, V46, and a few things (e.g. tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, small camp chair, maybe small duffle) strapped to the pillion.

I'm thinking I can save some space by not carrying food, I'll carry some snacks, maybe instant oatmeal, but mostly plan to pick up whatever food I need along the way and eat out here and there.

I'm thinking I'd like to take a small camp stove so I can heat up water for coffee, maybe soup, etc.

Thoughts on "must haves", "definitely nots", and "would be nice"?

I'd like to pick a couple of other comfort items for the ride, like an airhawk seat, maybe highway pegs. I finally got my RAM mount and power supply installed. A mesh jacket would be nice, especially a Hit-Air jacket or vest.

Thanks!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash

Last edited by BaileyMan; 05-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Put all the lightweight stuff in the trunk. Put the stuff you are going to strap on the pillion in a dry bag.

For camping I carry:
2 person self standing tent with fly and footprint
thermarest self inflating mattress
mummy bag
jetboil stove
mountain house freeze dried meals
oatmeal
coffee
cup
spoon
matches
flashlight
For bike travelling I carry:
First aid kit
flat tire repair
minimum tools
ROK membership with roadside assistance
chain lube
zip ties
duct tape
rain gear
one change of clothes
toiletries
quick dry towel
sandals for around camp
etc.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I'm thinking I'd like to take a small camp stove so I can heat up water for coffee, maybe soup, etc.
I never do, because you can go so much lighter without taking that crap. For me all meals can be taken care of either via food I buy along the way, or cold food I carry. Some people gotta have hot stuff in the morning though, and don't mind the extra weight/bulk of the cooking kit.

I don't know how it works in Oregon or Washington, but in California you must get a California Campfire Permit to use a portable stove at a lot of camping areas. Probably doesn't apply if you stay in campgrounds. But it does most other areas you might want to bivy. More info here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/lp...telprdb5193333

FWIW I was camping in the mountains this weekend (slept around 9000' both nights), and my camping gear fit into one of my Givi E360 side cases. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, bivy bag, and camping pillow--definitely optional, as my jacket would have worked, but I had room.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Sounds like fun. I'd like to try MC camping sometime, unfortunately when the wife and I go camping we completely fill the bed of my little truck with gear, so I don't have any useful advice. I will be following this thread with interest in trying to cut down on our load.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Get a wee tent if you don't have one. I have a marmot 2p and love it! Light, sturdy, the fly is awesome, and best of all IT FITS BACK IN ITS BAG!!!!

As far as heating up water what prevents you from doing so using a campfire?

+1 on the mummy bag. While it isn't a full comforter set that makes you feel like your sleeping on a cloud. It WILL keep you warm and take up minimal space on the bike.

Bike camping is all about taking the minimals. As for me, it's the tent the mummy bag, clothes, 1st aid kit, and a lawn chair if it comes to it... And a fishing pole if I'm camping near a lake .... And I'm sure a couple other things I can't think of, but point being its about an 1/8th of what is bring in a car

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 PM

Anti-Bigfoot mace might be good too, being the Pacific Northwest

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM

cyclesarge, when you and your wife go it sounds like you want to setup house outdoors. Perfectly valid thing to do, and a lot more practical with the truck than with a bike.

But if you're on a road trip on the bike, maybe the place you bivy is just that: a place to sleep. And all you need are the things to help you sleep comfortably.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM

have you already purchased camping equipment? if not, dxhFZ's advice about tent size is important. a 2-person is good for you plus your gear. check the packed size of the tent before your buy, make sure it fits in whatever (waterproof) duffel you have, or are gonna buy (ortlieb).

use a smaller duffels or backpacks as saddlebag liners; anything you have lying around will serve the purpose. pack your clothes and crap into the liner, then you can just grab that bag when you unload, instead of carry an armful of individual items.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 05-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM

I went on a 19 day ride last summer - camping most nights. Here is what I took with me campsitewise... To me they are all must haves... but that's just me.

- Jetboil Backpack Stove and one spare fuel (Never needed the spare fuel)
- Instant Coffee and a small container of creamer (I don't use sugar)
- Coffee Mug
- 3 or 4 backpack meals (Walmart) if I get peckish after pitching camp - although most of my meals were on the road, prior to pitching camp. (I used them all just because it was cool to cook and eat at the campsite.)
- Bottled Water - as much as you think you'll need for coffee/meals/etc. Can always replace after use from daily fuel stops.
- Long Plastic Spork for mixing/eating backpack pouch meals.
- Small, cheap Walmart tarp. Used it for lots of different things and it folded up small and compacted nicely. Just to give me a clean tent entry patio area was worth having.
- Cheap Walmart cycle cover - covered the bike each night just to keep the dew and prying eyes off of it. Have a couple of bungees along too to rig the cover to keep it from flapping all night.
- Flashlight
- Weather Radio for those nasty weather times - Nothing replaces information!
- Map of each state you'll be in (both of these - map/radio - came in handy one evening when nasty weather was obviously moving nearby and I had to figure out where I was... where the weather was... and where it was headed. Saved me from breaking camp late in the evening and heading for a motel.)
- I used a one-man tent if I had no trees
- I used a cheap Walmart Hammock with a homemade fly sheet if I did have trees.
(I liked the hammock much better and did used it much more than the tent.)
- Big Agnes sleeping bag with air pad. (Used this when in tent)
- Camp-Tek Microburst Inflator
- Cocoon CoolMax Travel Sheet (used this when in hammock)
- Flashlight
- Toiletries (I took a small container of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and used it for everything - including my showers).
- Oh yeah... Huggies Baby Wipes!!!! You'll thank me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct846o9.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	22666   Click image for larger version

Name:	u908PmQ.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	22674   Click image for larger version

Name:	fADZatt.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	22682  

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-28-2013 at 08:17 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Minimalist approach

Survived recent 2,700-mile, 10-day camping trip from Myrtle Beach to Oklahoma City and back, with minimal equipment. My financial adviser and comptroller of the purse strings despises camping, so I have to justify every dime.

FWIW - JetBoil is far more elegant, but I got by with Stanley Stainless Steel Cook Set ($15 at Walmart), which includes two plastic cups. Heated water for morning beverage (usually tea) using Coleman Max Micro Stove ($29 at Walmart) and a couple of canisters of fuel ($5 each). Slept in Koppen Lokal 1-man tent ($90 at Dick's Sporting Goods.) Side entry offers easier access (I don't bend as well as I once did) than end entry. Carried water-repellent bike cover and stowed gear on the bike rather than in tent overnight.

www.stanley-pmi.com/collections/adventure
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Pe...-Stove/4722923
http://www.koppenoutdoor.com/product...-17273376.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanley Steel Cook Set.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	22690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman burner.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	22698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130430_175336_082-1.jpg
Views:	2650
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	22706  

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Survived recent 2,700-mile, 10-day camping trip from Myrtle Beach to Oklahoma City and back, with minimal equipment.
SV: Hot Springs, AR??? I stayed in just about the exact same spot on my trip... on my way back to Panama City, FL.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Arkansas campsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
SV: Hot Springs, AR??? I stayed in just about the exact same spot on my trip... on my way back to Panama City, FL.

Indeed, that is Site No. 36, Gulpha Gorge Camground, Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas. Burbling stream offered soothing sounds going to and waking from sleep. Wish I could have spent more time there.
Attached Images

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 AM

San Fransisco to Sequim in the summer. No mention of route, but if you were staying coastal some versatile cordura gear would be better than mesh.
The best map of Oregon- http://www.imusgeographics.com/listitems_67/oregon-map
The yellow roads are the ones you want. He also has a great one for the Sierra Nevada.
As for riding in Washington, you can't beat Destination Highways.
http://washington.destinationhighway...touring_WA.htm
It might be overkill for a few days in the evergreen state, but really that's probably all the more reason to buy the book- you don't have time to ride bad roads, Ride like a local!
They also have one for NorCal that you could use every weekend-
http://norcal.destinationhighways.com/

Last edited by Baron650; 05-28-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fixed a link
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Fantastic info guys! Thanks for all your suggestions on gear and routes.

As for routes I'm thinking the Sierra route on the way up and coastal route on the way back. This is only a rough draft. I want to balance good roads with the time I have for the trip.

http://goo.gl/maps/9ShQC (sorry, couldn't get the map to embed).

I'll definitely check out the books you mentioned Baron.

I'm getting excited! Now I just have to wait until the wifey decides on her plans...

2011 Imperial Red

Last edited by BaileyMan; 05-28-2013 at 11:07 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Had my first trial run...a one night trip up to Salt Point, along the Sonoma Coast, beautiful part of Cali! Some friends were up there for a few days hitting up some good bouldering spots.

What I have so far:

Slumberjack trail tent 3. I wanted a 3 person so my wife and I could use it for some car camping too.
Thermarest pad (found used on Craigslist for ~$20)
Mummy bag Not the smallest one out there, but it's what I have and is comfy. Better suited for car camping than motorcycle camping, but these three things fit really nicely on the pillion and made a nice little back rest too.

Collapsible dishes (4 oz and 16 oz). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y3I0SI I'll probably only bring the two smaller dishes as that should be enough for food and coffee. Although I wish the 4 oz cup was more like 8oz, but it's all good. The small one fits nicely in the big one for storage.

I'll need a handful of other campsite things, small essential things. I have a handful of things that would be great to have, but might not be able to swing it. I would love a small axe to help with chopping up wood for kindling for building campfires. I'd love a thermarest trekker chair kit, but it's pricey for a little bit of webbing and cloth and that turns me off.

I'm trying not to spend too much money on these things, but as this is new to me I realize that I'll need to get myself set up but even entry level stuff adds up. I'm a fan of having the right tools and doing things the right way. It's much easier, much less frustration.

Tent, pad, sleeping bag on pillion. Backpack with clothes and a little food in top case. Climbing gear and 3L camelback in one side case. A few extra warm clothes and lunch in the other side case. Bike felt nice with the extra stuff on there. I dialed up the re-bound on the rear shock two clicks and it felt great.

I hope to do a 2 night trip down to the Santa Cruz Mountain area in the next couple of weeks for some more camping and climbing. I plan to have a little more of my gear in order and we'll see how it all works out with space and packing and such.

2011 Imperial Red
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Great follow up! Keep us posted.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Prep update

Here's an update of my prep. I was feeling a little overwhelmed about all the things I wasn't sure that I need/want and space, weight, comfort, and cost. It helped a lot to do a practice pack of most everything I would bring. I didn't include food, but I'm keeping that to a minimum and some other small stuff that I made sure to have the room for.

I'm packing 4 days worth of clothes (i.e. socks, tee's and skivvies), plus what I wear, for 5 days total of clean clothes (with the exception of pants and shorts). I thought for organizational and ease of use that packing these in gallon size ziploc bags would be great. It'll help keep clean clothes separated from dirty, make organizing and access easy, and help reduce a little bit of space. I'm packing all my clothes in a backpack. I'll be able to do laundry when I arrive in the Seattle area (where I'll be staying for about 5-7 days) and again before I leave.

Backpack also has toiletries, utensils, maps and other small essentials. It'll go in the topcase, where I can also store my cook items, cool weather gloves and a few other small things.

One side case has sleeping bag and jacket liner. I may get a compression sack so I can get a little extra room in there.

The other side case has my camelbak and pillow (memory foam rolls up pretty nicely, I think I'll get a little stuff sack for it). I should probably put the camelbak on the bottom in case it leaks. A wet pillow would suck. Maybe a waterproof/resistant sack would be the way to go for the pillow.

Tent and sleeping pad on pillion. There's definitely room for a small camp chair.

What I have left to consider are:
Hatchet
Chair
Dry bag

Question for y'all, even if I'm camping in areas that don't get rain during the summer, is a dry bag of some kind still recommended?

Will likely get a kidney belt and airhawk2 cushion.

Feeling really good about how everything is coming along!

And Happy 4th to the US folks here!

2011 Imperial Red
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Question for y'all, even if I'm camping in areas that don't get rain during the summer, is a dry bag of some kind still recommended?...
YES! Sometimes weather... just happens...!

Quote:
...Will likely get a kidney belt and airhawk2 cushion.

And Happy 4th to the US folks here!
Get the kidney belt - don't leave home without it!

Happy 4th!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Here's my rig...

Leaving next week for my 5th 7-day camping trip from San Diego to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP.

I have Happy Trails panniers and an old CorTech bag that I strap onto the back of the seat.

CorTech bag - Things that I don't mind if they get wet and things I need easy access to. Tent, small power strip, small camping dish set, headlight, sunscreen, first aid kit(in waterproof bag), Kermit camping chair, duct tape, velcro, etc....

Happy Trails Panniers - Sleeping bag, self inflating REI pad, one compression sack containing one pair of light pants, one pair shorts, 3 pairs underwear, 3 pairs socks, one pair thermal underwear, one pair trunks, one small towel, 4 t-shirts, one compact Patagonia jacket. One pair walking shoes, one pair flip-flops, bag containing GoPro w/all accessories and chargers, one small bag of bungie cords, one small bag containing MSR WhisperLight camp stove with gas, one small battery powered lantern, extra pair of riding gloves and jacket liner.

I always keep my wallet, cell phone and MotoGP tickets ON ME.

Tool kit and tire repair kit under seat.

Hasn't failed yet......Have fun!

Last edited by tenover; 07-07-2013 at 10:28 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a great little setup there Tenover. Not too dissimilar from what I'm looking at. I like the idea of putting clothes in the compression sack...

Have a great trip up for MotoGP. Sounds like a blast. I think I recall reading your post about it last year.

2011 Imperial Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode