Natchez Trace Byway! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Natchez Trace Byway!

Tacked on another ~700 miles of riding over the last few days and got to ride up the Natchez Trace Byway from near Starkville, MS to Nashville, TN, and what a beautiful ride it was! There are tons of cool little pull-outs with historical/scenic sites. They don't allow commercial vehicles on the road, so it was free of big rigs and other big dangers. I was surprised at how little traffic there was. The 50 MPH speed limit was fine because I was in no hurry.

I also ended up getting the best MPG I have ever seen with my bike! Side cases loaded and a full backpack and I got 60 MPG on the way up (Friday), making a lot of stops. When I came back down today, I made far fewer stops and ended up doing 238 miles with 3.7 gallons... 64.3 MPG. I was really blown away! Glad to know this bike has a very strong range when driven carefully.

Without further ado, here are a few pics from my ride up:

In the background is a 2,000+ year old native burial/ceremonial mound. There are other sites like this and it was neat learning about them!

Lots of beautiful scenery.

One of the stops had a cave with a spring in it. Such a cool place!

Got to ride on the "Old Trace" for a few miles, part of the original byway. It's in rough shape but provided an escape off into the woods for some cool scenery. I'm thinking my V felt like it was a real adventure bike for a bit.

Old Trace

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the pictures; they resurrect memories of similar journey of the Trace. Great road, wonderful history. Pretty straight until the northernmost 30 miles or so, then it becomes much more fun.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very nice

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Looks like a beautiful ride.

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Did you pick up a T-shirt at the trading post in Natchez, MS?

They have a T-shirt with a map of the half of the trace on the front and the other half on the back.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I actually started this ride up near Starkville, so I never made it that far South. My next long day trip I'm planning will be to start again where I did last time, but take the road down to Natchez. I'll have to get a shirt when I do go.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Did you stop in at the Lovelace cafe just off the north end of the parkway?

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did you stop in at the Lovelace cafe just off the north end of the parkway?
Lovelace biscuits should be a controlled substance. Worth the stop.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode