A bit more Texas... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A bit more Texas...

Went on a good ride today (mostly to try out the seat after Spencer reworked it)! Destination was Ghost Road which is situated in the piney woods of east-ish TX. The road used to be an old railroad approximately 8 miles long...nowadays, it's a packed dirt road that is purported to be "haunted" by a mysterious light. Naturally, there are several spooky tales attributed to the light...all I cared about was that the "light" didn't have any kind of grudge against motorcycles. Anyhoo! On to the pics:

A few wildflowers along the way:

At the entrance of Ghost Road:

AND THEN IT HAPPENED...a bright light caught my attention in the dense underbrush...kidding! But I did sufficiently spook myself (in broad daylight, no less) enough to turn around about 3/4 of a mile onto the road. My rationalization: I wanted to take a few pics of the irises a few feet from where I started:

The Trinity river on my way home:

And no pictorial essay on Texas would be complete without the obligatory Longhorn:

Yes, I had made a wrong turn.

All-in-all, the V did great! She's actually been sitting in the garage for about 2 months...but she started up and performed without skipping a beat!

Ride safe,

Jen

p.s. The Spencerized seat is a big improvement...the forward slope is almost entirely eliminated and the new foam kept "sore butt" at a minimum. Well worth the $75!

Last edited by Boiler97; 03-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM

What the? Pics don't work. Fail!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Gah! What the??? They worked yesterday...damn technology...I'll try a different hosting site, I guess!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Ok, now how do we get there?

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Don - how do you get to this ride? Is it out towards Canton?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Nice, pics! You got good weather out there this time of year!

Like the others mentioned...where is this road?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Here's the route I (mostly) took:

This area is NE of Houston...Ghost Road is near Saratoga just as you turn left onto 787. Here are a few websites about the road:

http://www.texasescapes.com/Ghosts/B...host-Light.htm
http://www.bigthicketdirectory.com/ghostroad.html

Jen
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 PM

They work now... I revoke my fail. Nice pics!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Around the Big Thicket, haven't been there since the 70's as a kid. Nice area down there. To far for a afternoon drive.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 PM

This is almost right in my back yard, I'll have to try it sometime. Talk to me about the "Spencerized" seat. Is there a thread for this somewhere?

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Took an Easter ride here today. Only put about 100 miles on the bike in doing so. Went up 2025 to 2666 to 150 to 223 to 787 and then U-turned back. I only went about 1/4 mile down the ghost road. It was still a bit wet after this morning's rain, but it is packed firm so that wasn't a problem. The area was pretty swampy and strewn with trash, so we looked at the first tourist info marker and headed back for pavement.
I used the low seat today, it still feels hard as a rock. I may put this one up for sale and look for a used stocker to send to Spencer.
I have finally put enough miles on my V to have some fun. I rolled on the throttle from 65 in top gear and took it up to 115. It pulled pretty steady for most of that and there was still more on tap when I rolled off. I will say that the acceleration rate does start to taper off after 110. I would also recommend staying ducked down behind the screen at speeds over 100.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode