N.E. New Mexico - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
N.E. New Mexico

I'm planning on loading up the trailer with Versys, golf clubs and kayaks and head to Angelfire/Taos NM this summer to escape the TX heat. Anybody have a fave route in that area? Maybe an overnighter from Angelfire into CO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Colorado 550 from Durango north is SUPPOSED to be an excellent ride, and in fact I plan to ride it when I get back to AZ in October. And IF you head that direction - Monument Valley and the Escalante Staircase NM in UT!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Colorado 550 from Durango north is SUPPOSED to be an excellent ride...
You are absolutely correct, sir. I rode it southbound back in July... Grand Junction to Great Sand Dunes National Park on that particular day.

Here is am on Hwy 550 in Ouray, CO.

Further down the road:

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 05-06-2013 at 04:18 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Maybe I should go visit my buddy in SLC.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgeezer View Post
Wow! Maybe I should go visit my buddy in SLC.
The day before my Hwy 550 ride was SLC to Grand Junction... It took me through Dinosaur National Park country. It too was a great day riding.

Map of my 17 days - You can see my SLC to Grand Junction and my Grand Junction to Sand Dunes National Park - Days 13 and 14...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM

If the Durango, CO area is not too far, I would try to get there....maybe check out Wolf Creek Pass to the east (Pagosa Springs area), and then into Durango to head north on 550 - "The Million Dollar Highway"- towards Ouray and Silverton. Silverton is a great place to stop, have lunch, and walk around town.

...and so gratified to see the Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah mentioned in a previous post. It is most likely too far for you from NE New Mexico, but put it on your future rides list. The stretch from Bryce Canyon to the Grand Staircase Escalante and on through to Capitol Reef is a great ride.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Definitely ride the Million Dollar Highway (US550) if you get a chance. I rode it this past Saturday as part of my return trip to Minneapolis from Pheonix. Also US 160 east of Durango is fun. I rode that section on my way to Pheonix from Minneapolis 2 weeks ago. Lots of fun roads in the mountains of Colorado. Eastern Colorado not so much.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Garage
I also think the ride from Durango out to Cortez and Mesa Verde would be a good ride, especially taking a couple of hours (or most of a day) to tour through Mesa Verde and see some of the cool sites there!

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM

You can always head south towards Los Alamos and Bandelier National Monument. Some very nice riding in that area. US 550 from Grand Junction is an awesome ride. Durango is a nice town too.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Pagosa Springs is not all that far from Taos. I'm thinking I need to get on the bike and ride for a while to see how long I can go comfortably before I make plans for a very long ride. I've got the typical aches/pains of a 51 year old thats spent too much time on dirt bikes. How long do you guys usually ride before taking breaks? And whats the cruising distance on a tank of gas?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Pagosa Springs is not all that far from Taos. I'm thinking I need to get on the bike and ride for a while to see how long I can go comfortably before I make plans for a very long ride. I've got the typical aches/pains of a 51 year old thats spent too much time on dirt bikes. How long do you guys usually ride before taking breaks? And whats the cruising distance on a tank of gas?
I was 65 last July when I did my cross-country... with all the normal aches and pains of being a dinosaur. If you click my map link above you'll see each day I had planned and the miles for each day. My longest was 464... and once I got into the mountains that dropped down into much lower miles per day... and miles per hour. I liked to stop and get settled for the night pretty early - with a lot of sunshine left... so most of my days were ended around the 5:00 - 5:30 point of the afternoon... early starts, though - between 7:00 and 8:00 most mornings.

I found that running the tank nearly dry to get the most mileage between stops wasn't what made me feel the most secure (even though I had a spare 1 liter bottle of fuel with me). Because my entire route was back roads and highways, I always stopped at the first station I came to once I hit around the 160 mile mark. Sure, I could have gone another 40 to 50 miles... but on a long, long day... through the middle of nowhere... miles and miles away from an Interstate highway... I found that sweating it, hoping to run across an open gas station, took a lot of fun out of the day. So... 160 miles was where I started seriously looking to fill up again... although, depending on the location - sometimes much earlier than that. Mostly I calculated where I'd be in two or three hours time - and used that to tell me when it was wise to stop and fill up. (Yes... one day I broke my rule because I thought I was getting such good mileage, I pressed on, even though I could have topped up easily in Trinidad, CO and ended up souring two good hours of riding because I was sweating bullets... Thank goodness for DesMoines, NM where I would have been happy to pay $10 a gallon that day.)

A side benefit was that those more frequent stops got me off the bike and walking around for a few minutes... and most stops ended with me telling lies to a local or two about what the heck I was doing with all that junk strapped to my bike... and explaining why I chose those big ugly aluminum boxes for "saddle bags".

I'd estimate most of my riding days were in the 8 to 9 hour range of actual saddle time... I had an Airhawk pad on my stock seat and on top of that, I had an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. I was pretty darn comfortable behind my stock windscreen at it's stock setting. I didn't hesitate to take a leisurely lunch break... or sometimes even a breakfast break during the day.

It was HOT in July... Especially getting from Florida to the mountains of Colorado. I had a Geigerrig on my back and drank from it regularly (after the first day - when, at the end of the day, setting up camp, I came to the realization that I should have been drinking a lot more that I did, that day.) Once I got into sucking that bladder dry during the day, the better I was overall. If I needed to top it up, I'd do that at a gasoline stop with cold bottled water from the station's convenience store. I also used a FrogToggs Chilly Pad around my neck that I kept wetted with the Geigerrig's ability to squirt its contents, if needed.

Mileage from a tank full? I get around 215 around town before my FUEL indicator starts flashing... and end up filling up around the 225 to 235 mark where it takes 4.5 to 4.6 gallons to fill her to the neck.

On my trip, days where I was doing 40-50 mph through the mountains with no particular reason to travel any faster, I was getting over 60 mpg... but those days where I was tearing it up to get to those slower days, I was getting in the high 40's.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Nice! Great information. You should write a journal for all us new guy's. Thats great inspiration!

I think I'm going to start taking small trips next week after work to get acclimated to it. Maybe to Waco and back, or Wichita Falls, etc. Around 100 miles, and without the GF. Then I think I'll have a better idea of whats reasonable. And living in North Texas I've learned that it's just too damned hot to ride in the summer. Trailering it up to NM will take the ass whipping out of it.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 AM

genehil, Great post! The things you mentioned/described are exactly what riders who have not done a long tour need to know. Yeah, I am a dinosaur too....will be leaving in a couple of weeks on a 8000 mile tour.

In parts of the west stopping for gas around the 160 mark is prudent - always being happier standing there filling up the tank, wishing I was riding, than riding on and wishing I was standing at a pump filling up the tank as the fuel gauge blinks-blinks-blinks.

...on the road I try to mix up the big-mile days with the small-mile days, with a layover day thrown in just in case I want it/need it. This next trip will have some 600+ mile en-route superslab days, and a low of 67 miles in a day (Red Lodge, MT to Cody, WY via Beartooth Pass - not a bad 67 miles!).

Folks, once you hit your "target area" you are a fool if you don't slow down and stop at the various points of interest. The idea that you will stop "next time" is a self-deception. Also, I try to plan a pre-arranged maintenance stop in the itinerary somewhere for an oil change - which also serves as an excuse to have another set of eyes look the bike over.

Like you, I am in the habit of starting early and stopping early - setting up camp sure helps to get the kinks out of the skeleton.

Your post should help a lot of riders attempting big miles.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Another good post. Thanks, Ixion. Please carry on....what are some of the basic rules of touring that I haven't or won't think of?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post
This next trip will have some 600+ mile en-route superslab days, and a low of 67 miles in a day (Red Lodge, MT to Cody, WY via Beartooth Pass - not a bad 67 miles!).
Yep... I did the Beartooth Pass on my trip too...

Then it was on down through Yellowstone - where I ran into a bit of a traffic holdup...

BTW ixion... where abouts in the Florida Panhandle are you?

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM

mxgeezer, The following are quickies that immediately come to mind...and I don't think they are unique...but are meant as simple reminders I use when I tour:

I endorse what genehil said about water - carry some on the bike, as by the time anyone realizes they are having a hydration issue he/she is already approaching possible trouble.

I wear obvious rider identification data on my wrist that states basic medical and emergency contact information. At present I am using a velcro bracelet from RoadID.

If you use a rain-suit instead of waterproof riding jacket and pants, put on the rain suit before you ride underneath the downpour. I may be the only person in the world who needs this reminder, but I would consistently bank on the chance that the road and I would somehow avoid the rain...and then would wind up wet beside the road, dancing into a rain suit, effectively locking the dampness next to my body. Stupid!

Safely stop and check map references over at the first suspicion that you may have missed a turn or otherwise lost your way. Routing errors seem to beget other routing errors...at least, that is what my riding history illustrates.

Erratic riders/drivers nearby? Get well out of the way if/when you can in a prompt, clean manner. I always feel better when if they are in front of me rather than behind me, and I will spend 10-15 seconds out of day of touring to make that possible.

Take a decent camera and take 4 times as many photographs as you think you need. Figure out a way to get yourself into a good number of those photos.

I always set a destination goal for each day of riding, along with some intermediate goals for that day. So I review my maps each evening on the road. Sometimes the goal is a motel or campground...sometimes it is just a number of miles . If it is miles, I aim for that and take a break there to decide if that is where I want to stop for the day or if I can do another 100 miles. Almost always I can do the additional 100 no matter how much I might be hurting...I tell myself each "extra" hundred gives me more time to loaf later at a destination of choice rather than necessity: 3, 4, or 5 "extra" hundreds can add up to a whole free day on the road.

Write down your itinerary even if it is in rough form, make a copy, and leave that copy with someone at home. It is good for their peace of mind and your own, and who knows...it could turn out to be useful if something "happens".

I remind myself every day on the road that this tour just won't be any good unless I make it home in one piece, and so the promise to remain safe and do every mile - including the final turn into my driveway controls my riding approach just as much as road and weather conditions.

Keep your bike clean wherever you are!

Send postcards or texts or e-mails that carry photos from your ongoing tour to friends, family, and acquaintances. Your exploits will entertain some and mystify others - giving both groups a better idea of who you might really be.

Yeah - nothing really new here...but these are some of the things I do, and they have served me well over the years.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I carry a 1 gallon can of gas (my camp-stove ALSO runs on gasoline), so IF I need it, I can count on AT LEAST another 50 miles. Usually I look for gas around the 200 mile mark, depending on WHERE I am. As far as pictures - I suggest you get a small tripod and carry it on your gear, so you can be included in pics.

I'm in the "start early, finish early" group, and I carry my copy of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" on my 'adventures', then read some in my tent before I go to sleep.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
And living in North Texas I've learned that it's just too damned hot to ride in the summer.
My take is that it is never too hot in NM to ride - just make sure that you keep moving (to keep the evaporation going) and hydrated (to keep the evaporation going). It can sure seem like it is no fun, however.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon

Last edited by Mursili; 05-21-2013 at 09:39 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM

There's some good riding in the Taos area - head to Sipapu, north at Mora, through Eagle Nest, through Red River and then a great little road to Questa, then south back into Taos. Be sure to indulge at Michael's Kitchen in Taos, best breakfast burritos and bakery on the planet! ok, maybe not on the planet, but darn near!

If you do go to Durango and then north to Ouray, continue north and do the loop through Ridgway, then west to Placerville and south on 145 to Dolores. Beautiful! Pull off in Telluride and go to the end of the valley - worth the time.
From Dolores, go south to 184 to cut across to Mancos, then east to Durango.

Deb
CO

So many bikes, so little dinero
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Deb - for the 'heads-up' on Ridgway to Dolores. I'll DEFINITELY add that when I head up there in October.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode