First Versys Weekend... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First Versys Weekend...

This past weekend in the Washingtoone DC area was first to have two consecutive days about 50 degs and sunny so I headed for the hills... or really, mountains of the Blue Ridge. Total for the weekend was about 350 miles and I gotta say the Versys just about lives up to it's name.

I think the shocks were set up for a heavier rider because it could have been a little more compliant in the real twisties but felt great for two-up. Givi winscreen is a great improvement over stock but I think would be ideal for people say between 5"6 and 5"10. Wind buffeting made it so I had to keep the visor shut or it would vibrate so badly I could hardly see out of it (Symax2). Motowerks loweing pegs are great. I think people who complain about the saddle must be coming from ST's, Goldwings or something too comfortable. Could really use those stainless lines. Buzzing sucks, but will tackle that same time as fuzedistrblock.

I could say more, but won't so will just get to posting a couple of Versys pics taken between the Rt211 and Rt33 portion of Skyline Drive. Still plenty of snow and ice up there but none on the roads. No shortage of small gravelly rocks and park goers though!

- Angles of the Versys -

Versys =

Miles of Smiles,
CC

---------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Thumbs up

Great pics Carl...One thing that attracted me to the V was its great styling and thanks to this forum I get to look at pics of it all the time. I have one in the garage but still dig lookin at everyone else's...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Contractor,

Thanks for the compliments on the images. A couple years ago when the word first got out about the Versys, it drew a bunch of mixed opinions in the riding community and still does. Part of it was how they initially marketed the bike as a "dual sport", which its not, and that it's really not quite like too many other bikes out there... well at least of the Japanese models anyway. If you ask me, it's more of a Ducati super-mo inspired design.

Taking it for what it is, I think it's a brillient design and beautiful in it's own right and I've always thought so from day one (mind you my taste for querky designs). I think the A-10 Warthog is beautiful too for quite a similar reason. If you put the Versys up against something like this...

...well there's no comparing, it's simply not what the V is supposed to be and thank goodness for that!

Anyway, more pics to come as she get's farkled out. I'm slowly getting used to the lines and angles of the V and next time I'll use the DSLR. I'd really love to have a photo studio with backdrops and rotating center platform like the image of that black Versys from Spain! Motos and Photos go so well together!

CC

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 AM

Here is my next bike...Love the V and will ride it for a few years but this bike really blows the hair back also. But @ 12+ large my lottery tics are going to have to get, very lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger (2).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	2099  

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Kudos on the Triumph -- that is one sexy bike.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM

Carl, looks like you had a good ride. I did about 180 miles on Saturday. Left Warrenton, met some friends in Front Royal, then into Strasburg, then the back way to Winchester. Lunch, Rt. 50 east to the top of the mountain before Paris and took Rt. 601 across Weather Mountain. (Rt. 601 is a GREAT road on the summer when it isn't wet with tons of gravel on it.) Rt. 7 back into winchester and then back out rt. 50 east again. Made a right from 50 onto very fun back road with lots of steep short rolling hills. Ended up crossing a low water bridge and coming out in Linden. Rt. 55, Rt. 17, Meetze rd. and I'm home again.
I had a great time. That's the first real ride I've taken on the Vs. and must say I'm impressed.
Oh, Carl, that pic you posted with the old dead tree in the background looks alot like one I took a few years back.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Motocox,

That's probably because it's the same dead tree! I'm surprised it hasn't fallen over yet! You've really got to get waaay down the BRD to take some original pics but it's still a beautiful road and I enjoy seeing people out having fun in nature.

Hey you happen to have a map of the route you took this past weekend?

CC

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics, Carl! The snow adds a nice touch. I can almost feel the cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Here is my next bike...Love the V and will ride it for a few years but this bike really blows the hair back also. But @ 12+ large my lottery tics are going to have to get, very lucky.

Mine too. I love that color! I was looking at the black, buy that is just dead sexy!!!

("Borrowed" from Contractor's post above. Hope you don't mind!)

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 02-09-2009 at 03:59 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:59 PM

That tiger is damn sexy!
anyone know how reliable Triumphs are though??
I have this tendency to think that only the japanese make reliable products... hmm, maybe I'm wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 PM

Can of worm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
That tiger is damn sexy!
anyone know how reliable Triumphs are though??
I have this tendency to think that only the japanese make reliable products... hmm, maybe I'm wrong.
Well, you just opened a big can of worms and will end up with a big wide range of answers...

The general answer, there is nothing like JAPAN Vehicles.

A Versy will be more reliable, more practical and much more inexpensive in every sense, to buy, to maintain and to repair...

What JAPAN doesn't offer is the Legendary Legacy of owning an European vehicle and for some people that feeling is above everything and for them, the feeling of firing up a Triumpth, Ducati or BMW is worth every extra penny and any other inconviniences... The same goes for Harleys, kind off...

Almost anything that is not JAPAN would be consider high maintanace which means high cost to own and keep up.

Now, most Euro machines are high maintanance because they are high performance vehicles and it order to maintain the performance they require frequent services, but that is not the same and not to be confused as to un-reliable which is what applies to Harleys. Just had to make that distintion there...

Now, we can go into an inch by inch battle, but at that point who cares, it goes way beyond what you ask for...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM

VStrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Nice pics, Carl! The snow adds a nice touch. I can almost feel the cold...

Man, that is a beautiful bike...

But if memory serves me well, I don't recall the Tygers resemblying so much the VStrom in the past, is that the new model Tyger for 2009, it looks just like a more muscular version of the VStrom... Uhmmm
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 AM

Hey brother SV...Didn't mean to open a can (unless its a beer)....What I'm talking about is passion...Same reason I bought the V...Didn't even give a thought to reliability... Nice that it is though... The Tiger and about 10 other bikes do the same for me and they all would be sittin in my garage if I could print money...But they all have one thing in common, they all blow the grey strands back. Hmmm, like the Honda Trans Alp...I can sit in my garage with a bourbon and soda and look at my V for 3 fingers of my drink, that's what scoots do to me.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM

I think the triumphs are pretty damn reliable...have 40K miles on my 955 tiger and it's been rock solid apart from a few niggles bound to show up as things wear out. the 1050 is supposed to be around 40# lighter, and feels like it, too, but it's not as nimble as a V, and that's what puts a smile on my face. If only triumph made a 675 tiger cub....
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Yep, that's a great looking bike.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:15 PM

I was checking the triumph site and realized... the tiger has a 17" front like the V...
hmm... I thought it was supposed to be a tad more DS then that...
but it is a nice looking bike for sure, especially in that burnt orange they offer on the 09 model.

but... to be honest, if I were gonna make a triumph my ride, I think I'd go with the Scrambler. It even has a 19" front and comes with knobbies stock! A cool throwback, and I believe it would do fairly well on dirt. I highly considered it before settling on the V (the whole Japanese reliabilty, affordability got ot me...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by amir_zwara; 02-13-2009 at 07:19 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The scrambler is a pretty cool bike, but its too small for me. I do like the way it looks, though. I don't care about the DS stuff or a 19" wheel or I wouldn't have bought a Versys. The older Tiger had a 19" wheel, I believe, though...

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 PM

I'm pulling up this post from the past.
I found Carl's tree. But it was getting dark and raining like crazy.

I was fun/scary blasting it down the straights then braking into the turns.
This pic is on top of the Skyline Drive, between 33 and 211.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Great picture!! Very 'artsy'...

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM

My hands were soaked to the bone and I still had another 40 miles to go. Rode in hard rain all the way home. Once you get wet, you gotta make the best of the situation. Don't think I have ever talked to my self more, than this ride home.

09' Green
06' CR 250
08' CRF 230L
95' VFR 750 <-4 sale
88' Hawk GT
03' CRF 230f
05' TTR 50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode