Gravel Sucks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gravel Sucks

I took a long ride through north Georgia and southeast Tennessee. Georgia uses gravel on icey rodes which isn't very motorcycle friendly after the rodes thaw. (mountainrider needs to call someone and have the sweep the rodes) Tennessee (or at least around Copper Hill and Ducktown) salt the rodes which just leaves a white residue...I don't think salt is as bad for cars these days since they are all plastic.

There was gravel on all the best mountain rodes. The main roads weren't bad, but 60 had quite a bit of gravel north of Suches.

There were also quite a few revenue collections officers out...and I got to make a donation!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

No pics of said collection event? I saw quite a few out today, as well. Must be the weather...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Or they are supplementing the city/county revenue. I probably saw eight on 515 heading back from Blue Ridge ti Atlanta. He caught me fair and square and was good enough to write it up for 10 mph less, so I shouldn't complain.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 AM

The gravel just makes it a little more exciting. Been several wrecks on 129. After a while you just get used to it and stay close to the center line or the white line. People who do not ride dirt bikes have a harder time. It is better now but there are still some bad spots here and there. That is when it is the most dangerous. People get to thinking the road is clear and then all of a sudden wham you are side ways in a corner. Just be carefull and pay attention.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

After the first unexpected encounter with gravel my butt cheeks are clinched so tight it is tough to enjoy the ride. Of course there are those gravel driveways along some of our favorite routes that provide plenty of surprises too.

How long does it take for most of it to get knocked off of the roads?

Steve

Now I have four!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM

It takes some really hard rains. We had one last week but need a little more.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Maybe it will wash away tomorrow!!!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
How long does it take for most of it to get knocked off of the roads?
Maybe it's a good thing you do not ride in Oregon. We have gravel from November to April...

Like MR said, you get used to it. With the upright seating position you are in at a significant advantage when you need to adjust your line and riding position to correct for it. Another reason the squids have no chance of keeping up.

Gustavo
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 PM

A good ground soaking would do wonders.

High powered sportbikes are at a great disadvantage on gravel.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:42 PM

When you say gravel do you mean GRAVEL or sand? I'm a born and bred New Englander and the idea of throwing rocks on an icy road to get a bit of traction isn't registering. Are we talking rocks, like you'd use to make a road bed?

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Here they use a salt and gravel mixture. The gravel is like thousands of marbles. Pretty crazy.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Those damn squids!

Steve

Now I have four!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 AM

Yeah, Gravel?!? that's a new one to me...
they use salt here in AZ... but GRAVEL!!! Eff' That!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

We have a lot of granite in Georgia and they grind it into small pieces. Much larger than sand, but still pretty small and it is really dangerous for motorcycles. When it is on top of asphalt or concrete instead of ice you get zero traction. It gets pushed to the center of the lane and the center of the road, so you have to stay in the tire tracks. You also get a lot of build up in curves and at the bottom of hills. Once you hit a small patch it can really freak you out.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey mountainrider, did the rain this weekend clean up the gravel?

Steve

Now I have four!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Beware the salt!

The stuff is hell on your bike - the Dragon had drifts of the stuff when I was through there a couple of weeks ago. Even though I rinsed the bike really well with cold water when I got home, the Vee is showing some corrosion here and there. I need to really detail it as soon as possible. Most of it came off with WD40, but the exhaust got hammered around the connections.

Note how the front of the bolt in the pic has some rust, but not the back where the salt didn't get on it.

Lots of good rain over the past 3 days and the roads are looking great. Warm weather returns tomorrow, so I'm hoping to drop off the Blue Wall and get some photos of springtime heading north towards the mountains. Maybe do a loop down into Tryon to get some shots of Hogback Mtn. with (hopefully) some peach orchards in bloom at the base. Then, if time permits, I might ride over to Columbus and Mills Springs to catch the ride back up through Green River Cove from Lake Adger - love the Pigtail out of the Cove.

I think that I'll take a 3 day weekend this week and do another road trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode