Ct to Deals Gap NC, looking for route tips. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ct to Deals Gap NC, looking for route tips.

I'm planning a trip this spring from Connecticut to Deals Gap, North Carolina. Reading all those stories about the Tail of the Dragon has made it sound to good to pass up!

I will head out, and make a stop in Philly to see relatives. Then hit Washington D.C. to see some of the sites. From there though, I am looking for attractions that will be motorcycle friendly, both there and back.

Will probably take dif route home then out.

What do you guys think? Any roads that should not be missed? Any friendly places/ watering holes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Briar Rabbit, there is a lot of great riding between you and the Dragon.

Squirrel Spur - N36 37.409 W80 28.334
This is a connector road onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's short, but there are some really good twisties, a couple of full switchbacks and some really nice views of the the surrounding countryside from the edge of the mountain. It's a local favorite.

US64 Between Franklin & Sapphire - N35 05.282 W83 09.804

I missed out on this road on a trip back from the Dragon, but it looks great on the map. I'm told it's really good.

US28 Between Franklin & Lauada - N35 16.332 W83 25.805

We stumbled upon this road on the way home from the Dragon. There were some really good twisties and a pretty good roadbed.

Blue Ridge Parkway - N35 27.549 W83 07.189 (just one point along long road)
You probably don't need me to tell you about this one, but it's definitely one you need to check out. There are some sections that are better than others, but any of it is worth a ride if you're near by. The NC section has a lot more tunnels than the VA part. Be careful because a lot of the curves are not sloped properly for riding. The road was designed by architects to highlight the surrounding beauty, not by civil engineers to maximize safety (true store as told by park ranger stationed there).

When are you coming through? If you need to stop for a rest or to service your bike, my house shouldn't be too far out of your way. I'm in Winston-Salem, NC. PM for contact info if you want to have someone semi-local to help out if you need it.

Ride safe.

Chris

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM

i'm in roanoke va. 10 min. off the parkway.....good road, no heavy traffic, just watch for deer......been thinking of the same ride myself in spring.....maybe a group might be interested in joining?? feel free to contact when your time is near of if your in the area...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM

If you'll let me toot my own horn, Briar Rabbit, take a look at my Rider article on the region. In addition to the roads that Dragon Breath mentions, you can pick many of the roads that go from low elevation up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, like NC215. My story mentions a number of others by name.

As far as getting there, my advice is to leave Philly and go inland. There's nothing of interest to a twisty-loving motorcyclist until you get away from the population centers near the coast. Central PA, West Virginia, and western Virginia have great roads. The Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are nice if you can tolerate the slow speed limit and active enforcement.

Get a detailed map and piece together a route on "thin lines" and you'll have a blast.

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Consider making your way from DC (US 50) over to US 219 S to Lewisburg, WV and then US 60 W to US 19 S to the New River Gorge Canyon/Bridge. 19 S to Beckley, WV area then WV/VA Rt 16 S (every bit as technical as the Dragon) to Marion/Volney, VA then 58 to Damascus, VA, 133 to Shady Valley, TN and run "the Snake" US 421. Choose from dozens of options (Boone to the BRP for example, though I would choose Roan Mtn) to get farther south to the Dragon. Run the BRP north towards home. Twisties and sightseeing all the way!

Montani Semper Liberi
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM

spklbuk, that sounds some really good info. I think I might steal that list and put together a little weekend loop departing from W-S, NC and tying into your route in western VA. Thanks.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Keep us updated and maybe we can make a show of Versys power somewhere along the way...There are quite a few of us in the SE.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

DragonBreath,
Those roads will not disappoint. Don't skip the WV portion of 16 to Beckley if it's w/in your range...it ROCKS! Unlike the Dragon and the Snake, weekends are actually better on WV 16 though due to the much reduced coal truck traffic.

Please for to give me a shout, I haven't run the Snake on my Versys yet.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm in Raleigh, NC. I did the Dragon this fall. I'd highly recommend the Cherahala Skyway (look it up on one of the dragon sites). That was my favorite part of the trip (moreso than the dragon). I hit the dragon with a buddy at sunset and everyone was going for their last ride of it...made for a lot of traffic...not to mention a wreck on the tail. I would also recommend NC 80. ZERO traffic, ZERO cops, and it leads up from highway 220 in NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What weekend are you coming to NC? I'm looking for an excuse to hit up that area of the state again this spring (several times actually).

David

_____
Little Rock, AR (previously Raleigh, NC; Morehead City, NC; and Virginia Beach, VA)

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Bought in May 2008 and have 58,000 miles on it as of July 2014
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM

I did the Cherahala last summer and it is awesome...nice and wide, with great pavement (at least in Tennessee).

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Alright!!! This is great guys!! google earthing all your routes. Keep them coming!!!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Not sure which weekend I'm gonna make the trip yet. I want to do it at end of May. As far as I am concerned, the more the merrier!

Bones: I liked your article. Do you have any more out there for our reading pleasure?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Rabbit View Post
Bones: I liked your article. Do you have any more out there for our reading pleasure?
Thanks. You can click
Reading Material
here or on my signature.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 PM

I can tell you this if you use route 16 in WV Thu the Tazwell gap, run US Thu shady valley TN(AND BACK) its called the snake ,it will not disappoint.Also out of WV,rt 39 the goshin gap is excellent,It can be easily accessed from us 219,the area around Sparta (just off the blue ridge there is a great motel there the Allegheny Inn 366-372-2501)and Boone NC is loaded with excellent riding.If you run 219 to 60 east when you get to Buena vista Va take rt 501 over the mountain,its like an alpine switchback fest,follow to Big Island Va and then you can use 122 and 43 to rejoin the BRP.some photos for you of the area
Part of the Tazwell gap

A view along Rt 39 aka the Goshin gap

Along 421

Shady valley

Twp note if you go to US 19 and the bridge in Summersville WV it is a SPEED TRAP and I mean 3 MPH over no bull google it. Second on the brp the rangers enforce speed the speed is 45 or slower,the fines can be unreal

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 01-28-2009 at 04:14 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
Twp note if you go to US 19 and the bridge in Summersville WV it is a SPEED TRAP and I mean 3 MPH over no bull google it.
The bridge is just north of the town of Fayetteville...and should he be coming in on US 60 from the west would access US 19 well south of Summersville.

BTW, the two brothers who were nearly singlehandedly responsible for the speed trap in Summersville were fired a coupla years ago and were subsequently rehired by the town of Gauley Bridge (not on suggested route) and now ply their 3-over trap there.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I Passed thru in sept,on the way to the carnafax battlefield,and gauley dam,glad I didn't get aperformance award on the way to the dam

AMA EAA STN
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM

heres a good way to see if its a speed trap too,site is decent
http://www.speedtrap.org/speed-traps/find/

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode