• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Went for a 260 mile ride yesterday....

The AZ weather forecast for yesterday was mid-70s, partly cloudy, altho' the morning WAS chilly.

I decided I'd take a trip down to the SW area of AZ, so I 'hit the road' at 1000, my heated grips ON as well as my heated jacket liner, thankful for the warmth! The route I usually choose for that area is via Casa Grande, then S on "Indian Rd 15" taking a few minutes to look at a 'cave' that has bird-poop along a wall, kind of looking like an old car (a '36 Ford...?).

P1241317 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P1241316 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P1241318 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Seems that an owl (or SEVERAL!) perch above that rock outcropping, and let loose every now-and-then forming the deposit you see in the three pics above this.
weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

From there, I continued S 53 miles to the intersection w/ AZ 86, turning W onto 86. Some 39 miles later, 86 intersects w/ AZ 85, and you can turn S to "Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument" probably an hour and a half ride to see the sights, plus an hour back to Way. I decided that 'doing' the Monument would have me riding in the dark towards the return home, so I had lunch (a bagel and orange) across from the buildings at Why.

IMG_0282 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0283 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Then mounted up and rejoined AZ 86, now heading E.

IMG_0287 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I stopped to take pics of several different stands of cacti, these being "Joshua Trees",

IMG_0284 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0286 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and these "Organ Pipe". ONE of these days I hope to get to, and view, Organ Pipe Monument, but that day WASN'T yesterday!

IMG_0289 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I stopped for the usual 'gratuitous' Versys pic

IMG_0288 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then resumed 86 till I again joined the Indian 15 Hwy, heading N.

Riding in this area of AZ it's easy to see volcanic rock outcrops, as well as OTHER rock types.

IMG_0291 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I don't know if these road-side 'monuments' are the result of car accidents, or just memorials to loved ones now passed on, but I figure I saw AT LEAST one per mile for most of the ride, and here's a representative sample!

IMG_0293 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0294 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Along that portion of Indian 15 I passed thru an ICE immigration check-point twice, heading S and then again heading N, but I did NOT try for any pics as I believe the agents might take exception to THAT...., but this is what the road generally looks like.

IMG_0295 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I stopped in to visit friends in Casa Grande, then continued, arriving home after 260 miles and 6.5 hours of riding.

Maybe NEXT time I'll get to the Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument...!

weljo2001, Duffy, Glenn21 and 1 others like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice report, the riding looks terrific. A treat to see the cacti, won't be long and the desert will be in bloom. Here in the Shuswap the snowdrops are in bloom, but it'll still be several weeks before riding season begins. Bring some of that warmth up with you when you return!

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut

Last edited by Glenn21; 03-05-2020 at 08:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I stopped for the usual 'gratuitous' Versys pic

IMG_0288 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

then resumed 86 till I again joined the Indian 15 Hwy, heading N.

Riding in this area of AZ it's easy to see volcanic rock outcrops, as well as OTHER rock types.

IMG_0291 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0292 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I don't know if these road-side 'monuments' are the result of car accidents, or just memorials to loved ones now passed on, but I figure I saw AT LEAST one per mile for most of the ride, and here's a representative sample!

IMG_0293 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0294 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Along that portion of Indian 15 I passed thru an ICE immigration check-point twice, heading S and then again heading N, but I did NOT try for any pics as I believe the agents might take exception to THAT...., but this is what the road generally looks like.

IMG_0295 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I stopped in to visit friends in Casa Grande, then continued, arriving home after 260 miles and 6.5 hours of riding.

Maybe NEXT time I'll get to the Organ Pipe Nat'l Monument...!

Nice ride Eddie, thanks.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 11:07 PM

You turned on Cockleburr street.

When I was visiting my daughter in Virginia last year I ran across this similar street.

Lots of burr's out there these days...Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191028_134138.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	167539  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
"I don't know if these road-side 'monuments' are the result of car accidents, or just memorials to loved ones now passed on, but I figure I saw AT LEAST one per mile for most of the ride, and here's a representative sample!"

In Arizona a lot of time the small displays are for victims of car wrecks but when we drove through Baja my son and I saw large monuments along the road out in the middle of nowhere, some looked like mausoleums that were probably on family owned property right next to the highway.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Garage
Man I love the desert but I've never had the chance to ride through one. Nice pics!!!

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode