4Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloFrom2012Versys650
  • 1 Post By Gerharz14
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wisconsin rides

Details on a couple of Wisconsin rides I took last summer. Apologies to Wisconsin residents for another FIB on your roads but there are just so many awesome places to ride!

Road America is a 4 mile road race track just south of Elkhart Lake Wi. It is nestled in the glacial Kettle Moraine area with the track following the ups and downs of the terrain. Superbike races are usually held the last weekend of May/first weekend of June. Itís crazy watching the super bikes blast by at such insane speeds. Riding your motorcycle to Road America is ideal since the track is so huge. Makes it very easy to get around to the many viewing areas. Very cool checking out the other motorcycles. Most of the riders I end up talking to are friendly Ė usually end up learning a lot about other bikes. Make sure to grab a brat and beer while there! From the south, taking route 67 to Road America is the slow but, for the most part, scenic route.
https://www.roadamerica.com/

Another multi day ride takes me through southwest and western Wisconsin. First stop is usually in New Glarus. Quaint little town with a strong Swiss ancestry. Very beautiful area featuring lots of bicycle trails created from former railroad routes. Route 39 west of New Glarus is an awesome motorcycle road that features lots of twists, turns, hills and fairly light traffic. From there make my way to route 56 (north of Richland Center). Going west, route 56 ends at the Mississippi river. It is an extremely beautiful ride, especially as you get closer to the Mississippi river. The road winds through river valleys hills, farms etc. Very remote with little traffic. For those traveling with your significant other, make sure to stop in the ďcityĒ of Romance (actually itís just a bar but still very cool). Route 56 goes through a small town called Viroqua. For you Foodies out there make sure to check out the Driftless Cafť. Itís been featured on the Wisconsin public television show Wisconsin Foodie. https://driftlesscafe.com/ One note of caution, route 56 (close to the Mississippi) was under construction (summer 2019) and was gravel the last few miles. No big deal on a Versys but could be a bit nerve wracking on a bigger/heavier bike. Not sure if itís still under construction.

Route 35 (The Great River Road) follows the Mississippi river (both north and south). The views are amazing with many places to pull over and view the river. The Mississippi is almost 2 miles wide at various points. Take the Great River road north to La Crosse. La Crosse is so much fun. Part college town (UWL) part mid-sized Wisconsin city. The surrounding area, both on the Wisconsin and Minnesota sides, are intensely beautiful with many, many awesome riding roads. The bluffs really make the area. La Crosse has a vibrant downtown area that features lots of great places to eat and drink (college town!). I like staying in the downtown area right along the river. Easy access to bars then walk back to the hotel. Not cheap but not too bad if you pick a quieter weekend. Make sure to go hiking at the Great River Bluffs State park (in Minnesota), take the paddle wheel boat tour on the Mississippi, walk around the UWL campus, visit Grandad's Bluff and finally check out Rosieís! Itís an old time diner Ė looks like it was ripped from 1970 (or even 1960!).

On the way home I take route 33 east from La Crosse. Goes through all sorts of valleys, farm communities, Amish areas (watch for the horse and buggies!) and goes right through Wildcat mountain State park. Doesnít last long but the twists and turns are a blast!

Happy riding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCrosse_riverfront.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	166707   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCrosse_Raddison.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	166709   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadAmerica_BeerAndBrat.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	166711   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewGlarus_CenterOfTown.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	166713   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCrosse_lookingEast.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	166715  

Name:	RoadAmerica_afterTurn5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	166717   Click image for larger version

Name:	GreatRiverRoad.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	166719   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCrosse_UWL.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	166721   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt33_WildcatMountianStatePark.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	166723   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewGlarus_SwissMotel.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	166725  

Name:	GreatRiverRd1.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	166727   Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCrosse_Rosies.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	166729   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadAmerica_turn14.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	166731   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt56_WestOfRichlandCenter.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	166733   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadAmerica_BikeParking.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	166735  

weljo2001 and chachi2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Another multi day ride takes me through southwest and western Wisconsin. First stop is usually in New Glarus. Quaint little town with a strong Swiss ancestry. Very beautiful area featuring lots of bicycle trails created from former railroad routes. Route 39 west of New Glarus is an awesome motorcycle road that features lots of twists, turns, hills and fairly light traffic.
Happy riding![/QUOTE]

GREAT! Another FIB...... Kidding.. sort of. Go Pack Go

My business is not too far from New Glarus (Oregon WI). You need to visit in the fall with the colors changing and the crip air, nothing beats the fall with a cold spotted cow! Also taking the scenic roads in the great north along Hwy 2 is a great ride from Superior to the UP.

Ill keep my eye open for your yellow V650 with FIB plates

Cheers!

Last edited by Gerharz14; 12-16-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Gerharz14

Promise I'm always on my best behavior! You should be happy, Packers spanked the Bears twice this year.

That was another beautiful trip - Hop on the SS Badger from Manitowoc Wi to Ludington Mi, make our way to Traverse City Mi, hang out for a couple of days then North to Mackinaw City Mi. Spend a day on Mackinac Island. Next day take the Mackinac bridge into the Upper Peninsula (UP), follow route 2 back to Wisconsin. Not a whole lot of civilization in the UP!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If near Fennimore check out the Fenway Hose. 19th century hotel that has been updated. The Silent Woman restaurant inside has a wonderful menu and has some awesome decor. Also check out the back bar in the lounge.

I used to overnight there quite often for work when I lived in Minnesnowta.

A lot of pretty decent riding in SE MN, SW WI, and NE IA on roads that are usually almost deserted. Do watch for tractors and buggies, though.

Almost forgot, y'all ever do the Mindero Cut east of LaCrosse? They have a pull off at the top with an info board. Cool stuff and a rocking road.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I saw the title "Wisconsin rides" I'm thinking, hey it's winter wasup wid dat?

Dude must have studded snow tires, heated everything, and probably heated cast iron balls too!

My flying jobs have taken me to the upper mid-west many many times. Sure is pretty in the summer months but this time of the year...well think I will stay with shake and bake California.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I tend to agree w/ Tim - hawkerjet!

Ridin' TWELVE months a year - - - - - -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could say I ride all year round but unfortunately donít. Below 40F and Iím pretty much done (although Iíve read others on this blog who have ridden in much colder weather Ė hats off to you!). The motorcycling bug bit me hard when I was quite young and hasnít let go some 45+ years later. If Iím not riding my motorcycle then Iím probably thinking about them. Since my bike is currently in its 5 to 6 month slumber I was going through some ride pictures from last summer, which is what was posted below. The post was intended to share some ride ideas for those who live in this area and do something cathartic for me! I also really enjoy reading, and viewing others ride posts, especially those fortunate to live in warmer climates!

Best to all!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloFrom2012Versys650 View Post
I wish I could say I ride all year round but unfortunately donít. Below 40F and Iím pretty much done (although Iíve read others on this blog who have ridden in much colder weather Ė hats off to you!). The motorcycling bug bit me hard when I was quite young and hasnít let go some 45+ years later. If Iím not riding my motorcycle then Iím probably thinking about them. Since my bike is currently in its 5 to 6 month slumber I was going through some ride pictures from last summer, which is what was posted below. The post was intended to share some ride ideas for those who live in this area and do something cathartic for me! I also really enjoy reading, and viewing others ride posts, especially those fortunate to live in warmer climates!

Best to all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I tend to agree w/ Tim - hawkerjet!

Ridin' TWELVE months a year - - - - - -

I'll ride as long as there isn't ice... This was early this year when I first got my '17 Versys 650 with 0 miles this year I will have my heated gear, I have my bigger windshield... It will be a whole different ride
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bike 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	166769  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
I'll ride as long as there isn't ice... This was early this year when I first got my '17 Versys 650 with 0 miles this year I will have my heated gear, I have my bigger windshield... It will be a whole different ride
Didn't want to, but "Day 4" in this RIDE REPORT includes riding on ice (which we HAD to do.)

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ast-again.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Garage
Go Packers!

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode