Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

California Winter Ride

822 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Duffy 
#1 ·
After a week of rain and gloom that o'l hay maker popped out in full shine yesterday. Add to that temps in the low 60's and you have a recipe for that little voice in your head to say: "Hey lets go for a ride!" to which I replied "Yea buddy that sounds like a great idea."

Pull the cover off, check the tire pressure, suit up and twist the wick. Man it was a pretty day. Crystal blue sky's, zero wind, and no traffic. Mostly stayed at low elevation for most of the ride except a quick jaunt up old Toll House grade and a quick 80 to 100 mph run down the super smooth moto GP high way 168, aka the 4 lane.

Included in the pics are some shots from the valley looking up at the fresh coat of paint on the Sierra's. Along the way passed by some range cattle. The only question is: Are they long or short range cattle? Doh! Used to ask my kids dumb questions like that to get a laugh. Stopped in Toll House for a great burger at the old store. Out front shot the two pics looking up at the 2 mountains where we used to fly our hang gliders back in the 70's. Yea I was a dare devil back in my youth. Started flying hang gliders after riding professional flat track. When I get to heaven I am gonna ask my angel how many times he intervened on my behalf:wink2:

After lunch about half way up the old road I grabbed a couple of shots of the high Sierra's looking S/E. The highest peaks are the Mineral King area where Disney had planned to build a Swiss Chalet style ski resort back in the early 60's. Shame they did not proceed. Snagged a couple of snow on the ground shots at the top, damn I knew I should have brought the snow chains.:surprise:

Had to wash the bike when I got home as there was a lot of wet roads on the ride. The higher elevation areas were sandy since Caltrans puts down sand for icy travel traction. Sure glad they don't use salt.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.