Not Completely Dead Yet? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not Completely Dead Yet?

Well crap I guess I am just like Mark Twain "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Yesterday me and my riding buddy Mark went for a delightful fall ride on some of our favorite roads. The old decrepit back held up ok as many of the roads had fresh pavement so very few bumps. Temps at 5k feet were in the mid 60's and the sky was a brilliant blue with fall colors on the trees.

Hell I even took a ride on a Vstrom 650 the other day in search of a softer riding bike for the old back. The suspension definitely soaked up the bumps better than my Versys but I don't know if I want to shell out more cash to extend my riding time a few more months or years.

Gotta say I really enjoyed the little V-twin on the Strom. Great torque and flawlessly smooth tranny. Just wish handled a bit better and had a 17 inch front wheel.

Plus I did a little tuning on my Nitron shock on the Versys. Made one full turn down on the preload taking the sag from 41mm to 35mm. Amazing the difference this made. Turn in and thru the turn is absolutely effortless. This also provides about 6mm more travel protection against the dreaded bottom out on a big bump.

Stay tuned for more smoke and mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74883984_822510791485439_3282174936285708288_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	166197   Click image for larger version

Name:	75308446_822510768152108_6704681134329954304_n.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	166199   Click image for larger version

Name:	75388372_822510741485444_3267346175149211648_n.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	166201   Click image for larger version

Name:	77222430_822510718152113_9112235390089035776_n.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	166203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_132907.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	166205  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_132918.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	166207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_133711.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	166209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_133724.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	166211  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 11-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
the super long wheelbase of the Stroms is definitely a good thing. Just sold my 06 Wee, also had two 1k's. Plan on trying a 650 Versys, but like you, I think back problems will be the end of my 50 year m/c addiction in a few years, at most. But, at least we ain't dead yet!!

Good luck to you!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
the super long wheelbase of the Stroms is definitely a good thing. Just sold my 06 Wee, also had two 1k's. Plan on trying a 650 Versys, but like you, I think back problems will be the end of my 50 year m/c addiction in a few years, at most. But, at least we ain't dead yet!!

Good luck to you!!
After riding the Strom then getting back on my Versys the differences in handling are quite apparent. The Strom is not a bad handling bike but compared to the Versys is definitely takes a back seat. I have owned many high performance street bikes and I have to say the Versys 650 is hands down the best handling bike I have owned, especially when you consider the price point of the bike.

The bike I would love to own but can't afford is the KTM Super Duke GT. I have ridden a couple of those and what a machine. You can ride slow, medium, or flat out and it does all equally well. The motor is insane and the WP suspension is second to none. I spent 2 grand on suspension on my FZ09 and it was not even close to the Super Duke stock suspension.

I saw your post and the picture of the 2015 Versys LT. At $4500 I would snatch it up before someone else does. Love the green color. I too have a 2015 green machine.

Good luck on your bike search.
dmer likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Well crap I guess I am just like Mark Twain "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.Ē ....

Stay tuned for more smoke and mirrors....
GREAT news Tim!!!

-

-

weljo2001 and hawkerjet like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 PM

You're not done til they throw dirt on your face.
Even if you limit yourself to short toodle runs you will be far ahead of the guys stuck on the couch.

in the words of Studs Terkle..... "take it easy, but take it".
hawkerjet likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Not to be funny but have you tried a kidney belt or some other type of back support? I know the kidney belt helps my back to feel better on some rides.
hawkerjet likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Not to be funny but have you tried a kidney belt or some other type of back support? I know the kidney belt helps my back to feel better on some rides.
I TOO heartily recommend this, as I do NOT ride w/ out one and I use the back-support that Home Depot supplies its workers - about $15 - and appears to have 'suspenders'.

-
turn8a likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:08 PM

I got out today for about 80 miles and decided that the forward controls must go back on the Sportster. Much more comfortable than the mid controls.....I guess that my legs are longer than I thought.

I did have one problem however.....about 30 buffalo blocking the road (Custer State Park for those familiar with the Black Hills). After a bit of studying I noted that there were no bulls or small calves in the herd. Very slowly I duck walked the bike thru the herd with the bike in first gear just in case I needed to move quickly. A car on the other side saw me moving and decided to move also.....lets see how much room there really is on this two lane/no shoulder road. It was interesting, I could have reached out and scratched several good sized cows.

Life is good.........
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The kidney belt is a double edged sword. While it can help, if overused it can cause the core muscles to get weaker from disuse, making the back problems worse. So use it sparingly.

I am glad to hear you are back on the bike! I recall having some bone-on-bone sensation during my recovery. I thought I would never run again. I avoided anything jarring for a long time. After a while it healed just fine.

There is still arthritis in some of my facet joints, but that is a different issue than the discs or the surgery. Walking, stretching, and the hot tub keep it all manageable.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post

I saw your post and the picture of the 2015 Versys LT. At $4500 I would snatch it up before someone else does. Love the green color. I too have a 2015 green machine.

Good luck on your bike search.
Thanks HawkerJet, after 6 hrs of driving today, she's safely tucked away in my garage! Thanks for the encouragement, I was having a hard time getting my butt in gear.
turn8a, Fly-Sig and hawkerjet like this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks HawkerJet, after 6 hrs of driving today, she's safely tucked away in my garage! Thanks for the encouragement, I was having a hard time getting my butt in gear.
Glad to help your addiction...Lol.

$4500 is a great price for an LT. My bike is a strait ABS model. I picked it up used 2 years ago for $4200. It had 11k miles on it.

You are gonna love it.
dmer likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:05 PM

I doubt I'll ever use the bags. They look great, but already took them off. My long trip days are over. The big GIVI trunk will come in handy tho'.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I doubt I'll ever use the bags. They look great, but already took them off. My long trip days are over. The big GIVI trunk will come in handy tho'.

I don't care for side cases either. The day i brought my V-1000 home i took them off and use a Givi E-55 top-case then i have these small bags on each side for tools and electronic goodies.

P1020355 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr
turn8a likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; Yesterday at 03:24 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

OMG, that seat looks comfy!! You must be a LOT taller than me. I'd never be able to touch on that. (5-7")I'm too tight to spend money on an aftermarket seat. It's cheaper to just hurt, and complain about it! lol Beautiful bike!!

Last edited by dmer; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

I went from a 2008 Weestrom to a 2007 Versys 3 years ago (was only going to be a short term bike while I fixed my GSX 1400, ended up selling the 14 and keeping the Kwaka..) Been 6'4 I need a big bike. Found the Suzuki much more accommodating in the legroom and comfort but man, the Versys handles sooo much better. Just needs a better rear shock.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
I went from a 2008 Weestrom to a 2007 Versys 3 years ago (was only going to be a short term bike while I fixed my GSX 1400, ended up selling the 14 and keeping the Kwaka..) Been 6'4 I need a big bike. Found the Suzuki much more accommodating in the legroom and comfort but man, the Versys handles sooo much better. Just needs a better rear shock.
I wanted a newer bike, my Wee was an 06, but I reeeally dislike the restyled skinny headlight with beak on the newer Vstroms. So the '15 Versys was a natural for me, as far as looks and legroom. I've only done a quick ride thru' the gears when I picked it up, so honestly have no opinion on the powerplant yet. But, like the Vstroms, it has great leg room, and the bars, with existing risers, are PERFECT! So ergonomically, I'm verry happy with it. Gotta' do a quick oil change, and will test the power when, or if, we get a warm snap. I'm not a cold weather rider!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
Found the Suzuki much more accommodating in the legroom and comfort but man, the Versys handles sooo much better. Just needs a better rear shock.
Totally agree. Here is my solution regarding a new rear shock.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ron-shock.html

Cookin Wid Gas

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wanted a newer bike, my Wee was an 06, but I reeeally dislike the restyled skinny headlight with beak on the newer Vstroms. So the '15 Versys was a natural for me, as far as looks and legroom. I've only done a quick ride thru' the gears when I picked it up, so honestly have no opinion on the powerplant yet. But, like the Vstroms, it has great leg room, and the bars, with existing risers, are PERFECT! So ergonomically, I'm verry happy with it. Gotta' do a quick oil change, and will test the power when, or if, we get a warm snap. I'm not a cold weather rider!
Since you don't like riding in the cold (same with me) you may want to consider shipping your ECU off to Steve in Sunny Florida for him to give it his magic flash.

It makes the engine run as it should-a-been from the factory...this is of course an intended play on words.

Steve is a world class engine builder/tuner. His flash makes the bike so much better and more fun to ride.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-complete.html
Buffalo_Bob and dmer like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The shoodaben ECU flash goes way beyond taking away the annoyances that seem to be common to the Generation 3 Versys and many other fuel injected bikes. To me the power delivery is perfect, much better than any other carbureted or fuel injected bike Iíve ever ridden. As good if not better than the Yamaha 900 Tracer I tested. Iím still amazed at how this transforms the bike!
dmer likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Re shoodaben: noted and checked his site. Will keep it in mind, depending how mine performs. Appreciate any and all tips, guys. I've lurked on this board for much of the summer, so was aware of the flash. If needed, I'll feel better spending $'s on the flash instead of a centerstand. I'm a firm believer in bang for the buck! (I'm cheap)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode