Riding thru AZ and UT, w/out REALLY checking the weather forecast... AGAIN! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
...and NOW for the LAST - 'Day 4' - the 28th of October...!

That motel in Kayenta was pretty quiet, so I was surprised when I awoke to see Bill already UP and dressed, as I usually woke up first.

"Have you looked outside yet, Ed?" he asked.

'Where's THAT coming from?' I thought as I walked to the drapes and peered out side.

"HOLY CRAP!" I said in surprise as I saw our bikes covered in snow....

IMG_4106BBcopy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

"Have you been outside?" I asked, to which Bill showed the towel he was heading outside to wipe off our seats w/, and I watched him do that thru the window.

Hard NOT to notice that the trees, as well as the 'grass' were now white.

IMG_4105BBcopy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The door opened as Bill re-entered our room - "At least the parking-lot only seems wet, NOT icy! So I wasn't slipping!"

We discussed what our options were, remembering that this motel didn't have a 'breakfast bar' and noticing the 'Golden Arches' on the other side of the highway - AZ 160 - so we decided that we would go there for breakfast and coffee, then ride W on 160 keeping in the "traveled" part, tire-tracks to avoid any ice and HOPING the weather had been kinder further W toward Tuba City, 72 miles away.

After our "Sausage'n'Egg McMuffins" and coffee were finished, again we discussed plans, deciding to stay w/ the earlier plans, and that I would lead, soon on the highway staying in the left-side tire tracks of the lane, while I could see Bill in the right-side tracks WELL behind me.

My FIRST thoughts - THIS isn't TOO bad changed to HOLY CRAP! as the 'wet' became rough ice across the WHOLE HIGHWAY - BOTH directions! We were 'committed' by that point, so I kept a pretty slow pace w/ ONLY gentle control inputs (around 34 mph), praying the whole time that NEITHER of us would 'lose-it' and go down, that the ice MIGHT end - as the sun came up behind us.

No such luck - THE ICY HIGHWAY LASTED WELL OVER AN HOUR while we covered about 50 miles, finally turning to MERELY wet for the last ten miles into Tuba City where we'd been FINALLY able to get back up to normal highway speeds, then to "rescue" in Tuba City - coffee at another MacDees!!!
Mattias likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-02-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 4 - continued!!!

After our coffee was finished, we headed W, filled-up our tanks, then transitioned onto AZ 89, S past the South Rim, NOW in sun w/ the USUAL blue skies smiling down on us, but on both sides where there was shadow under trees I could see snow.

After Flagstaff we got onto the same highways we'd used several days earlier heading N, and kept seeing snow in the shadows until we passed Clints Well, then FINALLY we were back into REGULAR AZ weather - sunny and warm!

Our route took us thru Payson, then we transitioned to AZ 188 past the Roosevelt Dam to Globe, then S on AZ 60 and 79, and HOME to Florence! where my wife brought us a couple of COLD beers into the garage!

IMG_0079 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Our last day had added 378 miles to make the "trip TOTAL" of 1420.8 miles over the four day ride.

onewizard and 52Degrees like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-02-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Ice and snow are 2 circumstances I know of that I absolutely will not ride in.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 PM

I've got to get back to Utah........lots of things I didn't get to see the last time I was there. Thanks for the pics Eddie.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My fuel mileage...

Altho' I didn't start w/ a full tank so that I could give you all my mileage over the 1420.8 miles, every time I 'gassed-up' I worked out my gas mileage for that tank, and the 'numbers' that I remember are:

50 mpgUS - TWICE (on long 'boring' higher speed sections); 56 mpgUS - SEVERAL times; 57 mpgUS - a FEW times; and the remainder in the 54 to 57 range, AND NO oil used!

As BIG RED is NOW at just OVER 87,000 miles - I figure that THAT is PDG...!

onewizard, SteveJ and 52Degrees like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Altho' I didn't start w/ a full tank so that I could give you all my mileage over the 1420.8 miles, every time I 'gassed-up' I worked out my gas mileage for that tank, and the 'numbers' that I remember are:

50 mpgUS - TWICE (on long 'boring' higher speed sections); 56 mpgUS - SEVERAL times; 57 mpgUS - a FEW times; and the remainder in the 54 to 57 range, AND NO oil used!

As BIG RED is NOW at just OVER 87,000 miles - I figure that THAT is PDG...!

I keep track of all my fuel usage, except for the first 600 miles and the 2 times I've forgotten to input the fill up.

And I kick myself for forgetting those.

Sounds like the 650s get almost 20 MPG better than the 1k bikes.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...We rode down the Dugway, and at the bottom I decided to take a pic of my GPS display to show how MANY switchbacks it contains, only to get a "RECHARGE BATTERY" display - I was no longer going to be able to take any pics on this ride - DAMN!

I just came upon a pic I took of my GPS at the bottom of the Dugway, back in '13....

DSC01653 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Exceptional, Ed! Iím jealous. We wanted to get out there this year but the production demons conspired against us. Looks like an epic exploration. Thanks so much for your beautiful pics.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 AM

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
Exceptional, Ed! I’m jealous. We wanted to get out there this year but the production demons conspired against us. Looks like an epic exploration. Thanks so much for your beautiful pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.
The WHOLE area of AZ and UT is gorgeous, and IMHO the WHOLE state of UTAH should be a "Nat'l Monument"! - - -

And normally should be ABOVE freezing in late October....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great ride!

My 2015 with the Shoodaben ECU flash gets just under 50mpg typically, with highway speeds around 70mph. Slower improves economy noticeably.

UT 12 is more exciting run North to South. The one section over the spine is a surprise as you come out around a corner, and the terrain drops away below as far as you can see. I recommend N to S rather than S to N.
52Degrees and Glenn21 like this.
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Great ride!

My 2015 with the Shoodaben ECU flash gets just under 50mpg typically, with highway speeds around 70mph. Slower improves economy noticeably.

UT 12 is more exciting run North to South. The one section over the spine is a surprise as you come out around a corner, and the terrain drops away below as far as you can see. I recommend N to S rather than S to N.
Is that a 650 or a 1k?

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Is that a 650 or a 1k?

Honestly I can't remember exactly the economy I got before the flash, but it was a bit more. Better than 50 mpg commuting on the highway. What I have noticed now is when rolling off the throttle the instantaneous mpg doesn't improve hugely. Before it would go to 99 mpg (and the engine got all jerky), and I think that is why the mileage isn't as good now. The flash cured the jerky on/off throttle by enrichening the mixture. Rolling down hills doesn't buy me what it used to, and around here much of my riding is 50% uphill followed by 50% downhill.

Currently I average around 48 to 49 mpg.

I wish I could get a similar flash for my car!
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM

Garage
You likely could, if you knew where to go to get it done. It's a pretty common thing nowadays, even for cars you wouldn't expect it for.

I was hoping your reflash was for a V1. ~50 MPG would be a game changer.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
You likely could, if you knew where to go to get it done. It's a pretty common thing nowadays, even for cars you wouldn't expect it for.

I was hoping your reflash was for a V1. ~50 MPG would be a game changer.
All I can find are high performance street racing reflashes, and none for the specific engine I have (smaller, non-turbo). They're all about maximizing torque and hp, whereas what I want is driveability. It is a much complained about problem on the internet, and a ripe market for a tuner who knows what he is doing.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

When I 'named' this ride-report as "Riding thru AZ and UT, w/out REALLY checking the weather forecast... AGAIN!", I guess I should explain THAT....

The day BEFORE as well as the day we left (25 Oct), the TV news weather-guy gave a GREAT ten-day forecast for AZ and UT, but showed some clouds in E UT moving into CO w/ snow and other crud in them, moving fast, so it looked like nothing would affect us.

Goes to show how LITTLE you can trust the weatherman....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Garage
nice trip report. great photos too. if i took the same picture people would wonder what i was doing. it's nice the little woman brought the beer to the garage. when do you think she'll let you back into the house?

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
...it's nice the little woman brought the beer to the garage. when do you think she'll let you back into the house?...
I'm hoping for a parole by Thanksgiving....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 PM

Gorgeous ride and photos...of all the areas to ride in the US, I'd pick the northern half of Arizona + southern half of Utah in a heartbeat. Gotta do this ride on my Versys 300 one day...

"Signals transmitted, message received." -Rush
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:50 AM

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.

2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650

2016 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode