• 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
a "PARTIAL" ride to the Needles Ferry

Now that I have my camera fixed and back here, w/ the weather forecast for 31C (88F) under scattered clouds LAST Friday - the 6th Sept - I planned a ride to the Needles Ferry along BC 6 from Vernon, as well as riding along Lake Okanagan at BOTH ends of the ride from Kelowna, and back.

As I was suiting-up around 1000, I briefly considered wearing something other than mesh, but headed out in mesh anyway. Riding along the lake I began questioning my decision, the clouds weren't 'breaking-up', but it wasn't THAT chilly... (YET!).

Along Lake Okanagan, and then riding BC 6 are awfully good riding roads - many twists, VG sight-lines - so I was having fun warming-up my tires, if NOT me!

The clouds were NOT dissipating as I expected, and I WAS cooling off (and regretting my decision to wear mesh), but I DO have heated grips, so turned them ON to a fairly HIGH position, and my hands started warming up. Oh well.

As I saw the distance TO the Ferry counting down from 80 kms I was getting REALLY cold, so I pulled over to check my altitude on the GPS, finding it reading 3860' ASL. I couldn't remember how much HIGHER the road would climb, so I decided to do a '180', have my lunch, then head back W towards Vernon.

The clouds started to disappear as my altitude lessened, the "ride enjoyment" level increased so I stopped for a pic of the Cherryville Roadhouse sign, and eventually it got sunny as I passed thru Vernon, then S along the lake.

All-in-all - GOOD ride even if I WAS wearing the wrong gear...!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	165529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359small.jpg
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	165531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360small.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	165533   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2361small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	521.9 KB
ID:	165535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	165537  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364small.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	165539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2365small.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	165541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367small.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	165543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368small.jpg
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	165545  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Now that I have my camera fixed and back here, w/ the weather forecast for 31C (88F) under scattered clouds LAST Friday - the 6th Sept - I planned a ride to the Needles Ferry along BC 6 from Vernon, as well as riding along Lake Okanagan at BOTH ends of the ride from Kelowna, and back.
I just missed you out there! I was on highway 6 on Thursday. I left Van on Wednesday,up the Duffy lake road and camped by Cache creek. Juniper Beach Prov. park, bad choice. Right in the middle of the east-west train mainline. Trains all night long, sleep for an hour at a time! Next day,my vision was 2 ferries. Over and down across Galena bay,down to the Needles boat and hit Highway 6 around 4PM and back to Vernon. Highway 6 through the Monashee pass is twistes of the highest order, I like going west best I think. If theres any bad weather around its here around these mountains. Ended up camping in Lumby Lions campground. Fri morning the weather was changing,on my way west back to good weather. I passed a Gen 3 Versys coming east in the mid-morning,maybe it was you! Looped up and down the improved Westside road,across the connector to Merrit and back on highway 6 to the Canyon and down. Passed a strange motorcycle fatality at Jackass mt., older guy who lost control,not speeding. Wind is deceptive in there,hot and strong that day, possible cause. A little sobering. Hit the weather right,I hear they got some crazy storms just after that.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Don't think you saw me - I started riding E around noon, then home about 1427 hrs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful Country up there. Thanks for sharing.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice country and ride, BTW what's the fellow on bike all about, just advertisement or some history behind it.

Thanks for the ride.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Nice country and ride, BTW what's the fellow on bike all about, just advertisement or some history behind it.

Thanks for the ride.
Just advertising for the pub/ restaurant.
Fastoman likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Don't think you saw me - I started riding E around noon, then home about 1427 hrs.
That sure sounds like a pilot..."about 1427 hrs."

Do you think you could be a bit more specific like 1427.3 hrs. or how bout the GMT cornversion?

Cheers and do always like your ride pics.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Spectacular country and great photos. I suspect the photo looking up at the Versys from below was somehow associated with having to "water the shrubbery." Can't think of many other reasons to wander down hill into the woods.
onewizard likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
That sure sounds like a pilot..."about 1427 hrs."

Do you think you could be a bit more specific like 1427.3 hrs. or how bout the GMT cornversion?....
GMT = last week, SOMETIME...!

hawkerjet likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Can't think of many other reasons to wander down hill into the woods. ...
As a matter of fact - I went in looking for a different, but effective, framing of the GREEN HORNET TOO for a pic, and that's about what I ended up liking. (I did, however add moisture to that area just beside the bike, side-stand side....
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in