4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By Kyle E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
IronButt Rally 2019 Versys 300 still in it.

For those that might not be aware Kurt Worden is still in it at day 8 of the IBR. On a dang V 300!!! Man in a race that is dominated by BMW 1200GS Super Tenere, Full sized Harley FJR 1300's ST1300 etc its funny to see the little V in the running.

IBR is a 11,000 + mile "race" that has no route takes place over 11 days. They gave one check point this year for Washington at day 5 or 6. The rest is up to the rider to deiced where they will go for points. There is a large list of places to score points across the US and Canada

Ive seen different bikes in Texas and Alaska on the same day (yes really).....

My hat is off to him for attempting it on such a small bike. 11,000+ miles on a 300 in 11 days!!
kiwicraig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow -- I didn't make 10,000 miles riding the entire last year. I can't imagine what is making 11,000 miles in 11 days.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Once did 1500km ride from Bangkok back to Malaysia in a single day ride and I know how it hurts.

11k miles in 11 days is sure gong to be painful. wish the ride all the best.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Wow that is impressive. I would love to know what kind of mods were done to the bike before the rally. Some competitors go to extreme lengths for extra fuel range and comfort. Good luck to him!

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 PM

That's very impressive. I know, as I have completed a single Iron Butt, the Colorado Classic. I ended up totaling 1,133 miles in 19 hours. It was done on a BMW R1150RT that had a perfect wind cocoon and a Russell Day Long Saddle.

Its hard for me to imagine riding 1,000 miles in a day at 8-9,000 rpm.....buzzing and vibrating. And then doing it for 11 days in a row on a 300cc bike.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Once did 1500km ride from Bangkok back to Malaysia in a single day ride and I know how it hurts.

11k miles in 11 days is sure gong to be painful. wish the ride all the best.
11,000 miles = 17,703km
Fastoman likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Wow that is impressive. I would love to know what kind of mods were done to the bike before the rally. Some competitors go to extreme lengths for extra fuel range and comfort. Good luck to him!
I've only seen one photo of his bike and it was a small head shot. From that a set of aux lights, crash bars and panniers.

Think Eric (guy on the S10 forum who was tech inspector) said 4 different bikes had FLIR systems on them.

Everyone has approximately 10 million additional lights on their bikes lol. Everyone has multiple GPS units mounted. I saw pictures of bikes with 4....

Most have an aux fuel tank installed. They limit fuel to 11 gallons maximum, and are very strict on mounting the tanks. You still have to get a dated printed receipt every 350 miles (or less) so the extra fuel is more about stopping when convenient not when needed.

Ton of pictures here might be some of the bike
https://hobartphoto.zenfolio.com/p387264174
asphaltaddict33 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 PM

Garage
Quite an accomplishment on any bike let alone a 300! Good for him! There’s a real biker!

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Really cool animation of the race and what different riders did. Click the link below.
No update of the guy on the V300. They have about 10 minutes to finish. Final scoring and such will take some time but they should have it up tonight Ill post here.

https://spotwalla.com/animator.php?i...H8auBIme7nX06w
weljo2001 likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Wendy Crockett riding her 2005 FJR rode 13,000 miles in 11 days and is the winner (holy cow!!). They have not posted who got what bonus points yet, just someone live posting from the banquet.

You don't win on mileage you win on points like going to Chicago had 4 or 5 points stops doing the length of the Mississippi River had a whole bunch and a bonus for doing them all etc.

Funny story. More FJR's finished the race than started the race this year. Few guys on BMW's had unrepairable breakdowns 2 separate FJR owners handed out their bikes for the riders to attempt a finish.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:45 AM

I got sucked into the ride reports for the first half of the race yesterday really interesting to see the different bikes and issues riders encounter in just the first few days.

IBR Daily Reports

There is a photo of Kurt and his X-300 in one of them, it looks like the least farkled bike in the rally. He is adopting the 'Go light, go fast, go far' mantra and I like it.

They also have the bonus list for the first part of the rally posted at that link so you can imagine how you would have planned a route for max points.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Kurt finished! An accomplishment all on its own. 2000 points away from a medal in 45th place. Amazing on the little bike that could!

He did 9540.5 miles.

96 riders started 71 finished.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
I got sucked into the ride reports for the first half of the race yesterday really interesting to see the different bikes and issues riders encounter in just the first few days.

IBR Daily Reports

There is a photo of Kurt and his X-300 in one of them, it looks like the least farkled bike in the rally. He is adopting the 'Go light, go fast, go far' mantra and I like it.

They also have the bonus list for the first part of the rally posted at that link so you can imagine how you would have planned a route for max points.
One of the things on points and locations for the points...... The GPS cords they give are for "within 100 miles of" then give directions on how to get there. To defeat people just plugging in the cords into a mapping solver and give the best route. SNEAKY. So you don't know unless you read the detailed instruction if say its 50 miles of dirt road or 5 mile hike once you get to the location unless you pay attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode