6Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gopher Safari #4

Got back last night from another "Gopher Safari" at a friend's ranch in southern Alberta, in the foothills of the Rockies.

Rode 1,515 kms (941 miles), EXACTLY half of that each way, as I didn't ride at all once I arrived at the end of an 11 hour day. The first 85% were in BC w/ temps around 28C (83F), but as I neared the AB border thunderstorms started poking up, the temps cooling down. His 5,500 acre ranch is "way back" in the Hills, so I had a freshly 'graveled' 20 km ride from the pavement to his place, which despite my background racing enduros (on a MUCH LIGHTER bike!!!) scared the CRAP outta me!

The stuff was up to 6 to 8" deep, and some places where it had 'piled up' - much deeper - so I spent those 20 kms standing 'on-the-pegs', weight BACK and using body-english to keep from 'going down' WHILE praying to God to help keep me from crashing. (For any of you that've ridden deep gravel - you'll understand. For those who haven't - it's a 'life-changing' experience, which I suggest you AVOID!)

A few beers chatting w/ Harry and his wife, then a nice 'ranch supper', and it was off to bed, serenaded by the rumbles and crashes of the CBs.

MORE coming tomorrow.
onewizard, Fastoman and chid like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here are a few pics from Day 1: (BTW - been having some 'probs' w/ my camera, so it "lived" in my tank-bag instead of around my neck, so FEW pics.)

leaving home at 0600

stopped for a "pee" break along the Kettle River

and saw this Canada goose family across it

My lunch-stop near Moyie Lake

and my GPS info at Harry's ranch - note the AVERAGE speed....

onewizard and sedro tom like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Nice ride. Thanks for sharing the ride with us. Be safe.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Up early on "day 2", breakfast w/ Harry, then off for my morning walk while he went to search up a cow-calf combo that had somehow been screwed up: the calf from one had been taken to an other part of the ranch w/ the OTHER mother, so NEITHER mom would nurse the WRONG calf. Once Harry got it sorted, he came back to get me, and took us to part of his ranch near the Oldman River where we 'set-to' to protecting his cattle's legs from the gopher holes....

By mid-afternoon the skies were darkening up, drops of rain hitting the windshield, so we decided to head back home to await his wife's return from 'minding' the grandkids. Harry asked IF I'd like a beer, so what could I do? We had to wait till she got home....

The three of us were going to try-out a NEW 'brew-pub' in a near-by town - wings-and-beer!!! I could go for THAT!, and starting on the beers while waiting would get us 'prepared' (his wife was planning to be our designated-driver!). By the time she arrived the rain had stopped, the sun peaking thru, so we headed to the Pub.

By the time we returned home the rain was back ON, but as it stopped for a little while I grabbed my camera for this shot.

Then, after ANOTHER beer or two, it was off to bed, so I put my ear-plugs in to INSULATE me from the crashing, flashing and banging, soon snoring away....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 3

Harry was planning to go to a neighbor's place to help w/ the branding, so after our usual breakfast, he showed me to his Kuboto 'side-by-side' then headed out, while I shouldered my rifle, headed for a 45 minute walk - there ARE grizzlies around his place, so what GOOD a .22 rifle would do....

The walk done, I started up the Kuboto, then circulated around the 1,000 or so acres that includes the 'home-quarter', on the look-out for fierce man-eating gophers, during which time I 'kicked-up' a group of six young mule deer bucks in velvet, a white-tail doe then a mule-deer doe/ fawn combo.

'Bout mid-afternoon the clouds which had been gathering all day decided to 'rain on my parade', so I got back to the ranch-house, under cover, then wiped-down the rifle and began packing for the ride home the next day.

Day 3 ended pretty much the SAME way that "day 2" had, but I was worried about the affect that the rain would have on the dirt road AND its load of gravel for the next morning's ride S....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 4 - riding home!

At oh-dark-thirty [ACTUALLY 0530!] the clouds were gone, the sun already up as I joined Harry for breakfast, and my relief was palpable when he said that he would follow me for the 20 kms to pavement in case I had any problems ( AND to help pick up the GREEN HORNET TOO IF I did come to a 'grinding halt')!

Everything was loaded as we headed out at 0700 - the gravel was a LITTLE less scary than it had been when dry, BUT the tracks where it had been 'kicked-out' by truck tires had areas that were as slippery as snot, so, AGAIN, I rode "on the pegs", weight back (and praying like MAD!...) till the pavement appeared 50 feet ahead.

I thanked him again for EVERYTHING, but ESPECIALLY for following me thru the gravel in his pickup, then re-mounted and headed W.

As I neared the 'Burmis Tree' I stopped for this pic,

Turtle Mountain in the right back-ground, then around the curve to the 'Frank Slide' which destroyed the town of Frank back in 1903 when the whole side of the mountain broke loose, burying the town under THOUSANDS of tonnes of rock, killing an estimated 70 people!

The pics done, I 'saddled-up' again, headed for home, w/ a planned stop for my lunch sandwich at the same place I had stopped three days previously, and arrived back home at late afternoon, my butt rather 'tender' for the last 1/5 to 2 hours of the ride - I GUESS that is a product of my advanced age, as it's NEVER happened before - EVEN on 12 hour days!

Here's my GPS at the end.

Note that my AVERAGE speed was 87 km/h, 54 mph, for the just UNDER 18 hours of the riding portion, and w/ PDG fuel mileage.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270copy.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	164211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2271copy.jpg
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	164213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272copy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	164215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274copy.jpg
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	164217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2275copy.jpg
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	164219  

Name:	IMG_2276copy.jpg
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	164221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278copy.jpg
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	164223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282copy.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	164225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2283copy.jpg
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	164227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284copy.jpg
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	164229  

Name:	IMG_2285copy.jpg
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	164231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2286copy.jpg
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	164233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287copy.jpg
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	164235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288copy.jpg
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	164237  
sedro tom likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-21-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:56 AM

Nice report. I love the pics of the scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode