• 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By Kyle E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lost a rear tire at 100mph. video

Lost a rear on the S10 at over 100mph. Interesting to go full lock in the steering out of the blue!

Kept her upright. There is a puncture in the tire so must have hit a nail or something.

chid and _Big_Mac_ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Yikes!! Nice job keeping it straight.
Kyle E likes this.

Ride while you can
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Good skills. A sphincter tightening moment.
Kyle E likes this.

2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300; 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100J

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it...
Kyle E and Devilsfan like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Didn't that ad say needs new tire soon?

Man! 100 mph! Could have been bad!

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Didn't that ad say needs new tire soon?

No, in fact it came with 2 set of tires! I had wanted to keep the spare set of Mitas 07's for this winter and some off roading trips. But guess Ill blow through them this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it...

It got the pulse going a bit, but I tend to get calm in situations like this. All I could think was... "oh asshole you're just running to the store for 5 mins to get a screw you don't need a jacket RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT????"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Holy chit!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I think the Versys put a screw in the rear tire of the s10 to get back at me for not riding it all week.... Bought the sucker a battery tender and everything and it goes and does this to me!
Devilsfan likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ride Em cowboy!

Nice job Kyle.

I had a rear go down but was only going about 30. It show do make her go squirrely.

Glad you kept it on the rubber.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:44 AM

Good work! That jacket thought is one to remember

2015 Versys 650
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Didn't that ad say needs new tire soon? <a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a>

No, in fact it came with 2 set of tires! I had wanted to keep the spare set of Mitas 07's for this winter and some off roading trips. But guess Ill blow through them this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Rub some Lexol on the seat to get rid of the butt pucker marks on it...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

It got the pulse going a bit, but I tend to get calm in situations like this. All I could think was... "oh asshole you're just running to the store for 5 mins to get a screw you don't need a jacket RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT????"
Heading to the store to get a scew and you pick one up on the way. What a coincident.

I sure was glad for TPMS on my concours. It alerted me of decreased pressure before the bike would havr gotten squirrely so I was abke to pull over and get it on the center stand before it went totally flat.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
THAT was way-y-y less drama than I was expecting!

I had a rear start deflating a few years ago in AZ (at highway speeds), and it was rather exciting, but I got over, and stopped before it was totally flat.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Pretty sure that seat is going to have a permanent pucker mark on it, good job saving it. Also a tribute to the stability of the S10, a lot of bikes would've probably gone into a tank slapper
Kyle E likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
So, how does a bike behave when the rear tire blows out. Does it just start wallowing back and forth like the video shows, or was it more pronounced and you were able to react and keep it in a straight line? Also, I am assuming rear brakes are a big NoNo in this situation?

'09 Versys
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
So, how does a bike behave when the rear tire blows out. Does it just start wallowing back and forth like the video shows, or was it more pronounced and you were able to react and keep it in a straight line? Also, I am assuming rear brakes are a big NoNo in this situation?

I was driving in a straight line and instantly I was at "full lock" on the handle bars with the rear end sideways Just hung with it kept the front tire going straight and tried to bring the rear end back under me without over correcting, then stepped out again a few more times. If I would have had a hand off the bars, changing the music or something, I would have 100% lost it on the first slide.

Honestly the worst part was when it went from going right while I was still in the lane, to going left and right when I got below 50 mph or so in the emergency lane. Thats when I came close to loosing it. I was anticipating the right and it went the other way

I touched no brakes at all till just at the very end. Just got off the throttle and tired to keep it going straight.

Situations like this are very rare. Normally you get some wobble out of a deflating tire and know to get over ASAP. This was a blowout where I lost all pressure without warning.
Jmason likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Yowza! That is some scary stuff. Great job maintaining control though. Glad you made it out unscathed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode