Kiwi's 4000km ride around south island, NZ - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Kiwi's 4000km ride around south island, NZ

After many months of planning, 6 guys rode for 9 days and 8 nights away around some of the best scenery and roads you could ride in my view. One of the team flew in from Aust and hired a bike here.

Day 1 was a ride from my home town of Timaru to Bluff (bottom of NZ) then staying in Invercargill.

Team all set to go sat morn.

First coffee stop of trip, 3rd pee stop

We had some real great twisty roads around the south east coast.

Arrived in Bluff and the pommy australian had to touch down his foot in the sea at the bottom of NZ

Total KMs for day 555k's, fine weather during day and heavy rain on our first night away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 2 Invercargill to Milford sound then camp up at Te Anau motorcamp.

Southern coast line where the tree get so blown by winds coming up from antarctica that they lean over to the north.

Lake Te Anau

Heading into milford sound close to homer tunnel, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Tunnel

Arriving at Milford Sound http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound
Our little cruise boat and i spent a bit of time sitting up with the captain talking bikes and when we got out into the tasman sea we tried to turn boat into right wave to get one of my buddies wet who was standing up the front.

Heading back the 120 km trip to Te Anua as its a 240k round trip into the sound with no fuel until your back in Te Anua.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-21-2013 at 04:31 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 2 Continued

The road into the sound and through the tunnel takes my breath away and i have been in a few times before so imagine how some of the guys just were blown away who had not been here before, massive rock faces and beacuse of recent rains you had waterfalls everywhere.

If you look closely at this photo you can just make out western entrance to tunnel higher up.

Passed by mirror lake

Total kms for day was 439ks

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great scenery! Wish I was part of the group.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM

Garage
Wow. Cool ride and great pictures. Stuff like this gets me through the Winter! (Windchill was -23C here this morning)

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM

That really looks like a great ride. Did'nt you get a new video camera for this trip? The pics are great and we don't have anything like that in Florida.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome! So, are the white arrows on the traffic lanes to help get the tourists used to riding on the port side of the road?

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
That really looks like a great ride. Did'nt you get a new video camera for this trip? The pics are great and we don't have anything like that in Florida.
I did not get the gopro 3 white one until day 5 as it was posted to where we arrived but i think we made a mistake sticking sucker cup to screen as a bit of shake, my plan is to go back to milford sound area and record with gopro in lat feb early march as have 20 days off then.

I will upload a couple of vids as i did some with my normal camera as well.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-21-2013 at 02:10 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Awesome! So, are the white arrows on the traffic lanes to help get the tourists used to riding on the port side of the road?
Yep because we have had tourists kill a few people on roads going wrong way and my local bike club had a father/daughter killed about 4 years ago with a tourist van on wrong side of road going into the group of motorbikes on a toy run.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
MTS

Excellent post Kiwi! What a ride!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 3 Te Anau to Wanaka with time spent in Queenstown on luge and eating. The original trip plan meant only a 227 k day but we decided to ride the longer way straight to Wanaka and come back over the crown range which is the highest sealed road in countryand spend time in the tourist meca of Queentown then ride home to our motorcamp in wanaka over the crown range again which is only a 70k ride, https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

One of the original bungy jumps in the world.

top of crown range the team assembles for standard photo.

No Video

This photo looks down over queenstown where we went up in the gondala and went on the luge, to ride the luge you then go up again on a small chair lift.

Evening meal down by the edge of lake wakatipu in queenstown.

We went inside for the feed, sorry about quality of my camera work
No Video

Return trip over crown range that evening

Total kms for that day 471k and another great day with great guys..

Day 4 Wanaka to through beautiful haast pass to Hokitika ( on the wet coast), At Haast for lunch our group split in half with two other following me to Jacksons bay ( this was the only piece of road in the whole trip i have not been on) which was a extra 100km round trip and the other three went up the coast to go to franz Josef Glacier and take there gear off and walk for a hour, we were to meet them back in franz Josef township.

Just some shots on ride into through haast pass

Jacksons bay which is as far south as the road goes on the west coast.

Just before township of fox glacier

We decided to ride in to where the other boys would park there bikes for walk into glacier but it was to hot to stay long so left a not on there bikes and took off to town for a cold drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Josef_Glacier

Total kms for day 4 537ks

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 5 Hokitika to westport which is only 140kms then unload gear and have some lunch then ride a return trip of 190km to Karamea where the west coast road ends and thats as far north as you can go on sealed roads, the roads are a bit rough, twisty and some serious drop off cliffs and i also knocked my new gopro off its sucker that was on tank as i use my left hand to adjust my right knee armour while moving at about 80 kph and camera bounced down road with no damage apart from a couple of marks on the black locking release thingy, have a safety line on now lol. Some of the vids from the gopro are on a friends notebook and we going to check it out tonight but my guess is with mounting on screen it a bit shakey.

End of the road at Karamea

These roads are very very tricky but fun, one stretch was 26 km of what you see in photos so you have to be at top of your game or you will end up in ditch if you push it to hard.

Looking back to where we had come from on way back to Westport

Evening meal at Westport, im not on drugs just have problem with camera flash haha

Total kms for day 5, 372k's
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
as always, its nice to ride with buddies.

Awesome scenes and trust you had a awesome ride.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Now thats a great time!!!!!!!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 6 Westport to Nelson with detour to top of south island to a place called Farewell Spit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farewell_Spit

At farewell spit

We all put our rain suits on in the morning as it was forcast for heavy rain and a few showers had come and gone while we were getting ready but we got no rain and we did not get wet the entire trip.
This was the first morning i used the gopro camera but the vids are in a friends computer and we will not get together to sort them out until next week and that is why not a lot of photos.

photo of the buller gorge and hope the vid of this road came out okay as its a great ride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buller_Gorge

The takaka hill is a must for riding bikes, http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/grea...roads-Number-3

In Nelson I talked one of the older guys into starting with tom yum soup, never seen a mans face go as red as that when eating the soup apart from me biting through a chili in thailand while having soup.

Total kms for day 6 was 481ks

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-22-2013 at 04:15 AM.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 AM

Really great to hear you all had a blast.. Top photo's mate... that tunnel I'd nearly forgotten about from my last trip over to South Island. Such a fantastic place your country. I would love to do a tour with you.
Bloody great mate!! Still envious you can get away for so long. Gotta love your missus!

Last edited by crow; 01-22-2013 at 04:25 AM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 7 Nelson to Hanmer springs via the inland scenic route. The plan for the day was not to be to late to Hanmer to have a good soak in the hot pools there and I had booked our motel only a couple of minutes walk to the pools.
http://www.hanmersprings.co.nz/

Photo shot on queen Charlotte sound

First stop on the way was a cafe in Blenheim

Inland scenic route after we had turned off main highway

Total Kms for day 7, 431k's
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Day 8 Hanmer to Akaroa via lewis and Arthurs pass.

This was our last big day as day 9 was just a 200km run home and mostly boring straight roads down the main highway on canterbury plains we got away early and blasted some serious k's so we could get to the two very nice 3 story apartment we had hired for a final night together. Total distance for day 8 was 509 kms and not a lot of photos as we probably all just about over photos by now.

This photo is not far from top of arthurs pass on the western side and it was drizzling lightly and we were head to the eastern coast, funny thing is once we got over the pass it was sunny straight away and when we stopped for a light lunch at springfield it was up to 30 celcius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur's_Pass

This is a older photo of lookout on arthurs pass in the dry

Going up arthurs pass
No Video

2nd vid shows you how we went from drizzle to sun.
No Video

Last edited by kiwi 41; 01-22-2013 at 05:03 AM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Last day was just a short 200km ride home with one fuel and coffee stop.

Final photo was where we started 9 days ago overlooking the bay at Timaru.

Really great bunch of guys and enyoyed having a bit of bike swaps on the road especially a good go on the hired triumph sprint over the takaka hill and relaxing in a honda ST 1100 1991. The next day after the trip i rode the ninja 1000 part way with the the guy who was taking the hired bike back to christchurch and let him have a turn on the ninja and he was impressed as i did find the triumph very lumpy in the engine compared with the ninja.

Made a suggestion to the team of a trip from KL Malaysia to Chaingmai Thailand and back in a couple of years so may see if that comes about.

Right off to town later as Kawasaki NZ have a road trip and are in my town for next six days with 30 min test rides on ZX14, ZX 10, zx 6 r, ninja 300 and a couple of others so going to spend some quality time at my local
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode