By the Lake - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

By the Lake

Been riding about once a week lately as the weather has been in the low to mid 60's.

No Polar Vortex here.

Some fun twisty roads up around Pine Flat Lake where the pics were taken.

One of the pice was "stylized" by Google. Can you guess which one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190116_125452-EFFECTS.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	160723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190116_125512.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	160725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190116_125438.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	160727  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at the "greens", I would guess the FIRST one....
hawkerjet likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
I tried that throwing your coffee in the air trick yesterday.

As it turns out, 62°f in California just makes it messy.

But my driveway smells like coffee, now.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
My brother has been working in Wisconsin & now he's in Minnesota. Heres what he dealt with yesterday..... -37 wind chill -57
Shibumik and 52Degrees like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 PM

Just got home from Minneapolis. Holy frozen arctic hell! I've been in sub -30 temps high in the mountains before, but for some reason down lower the cold just cuts and hurts much more. Walking from the van to the hotel front door was breathtaking.

It was so cold we left all the APUs running on every parked aircraft overnight to keep the various systems warm enough. The water tanks had to be purged even with heat on the aircraft. Up at altitude the temps were right at the minimum allowable, -87F. We were kind of stuck up high for a while during flight - we couldn't descend because the minimum allowable temperature actually decreases with altitude, which meant we could only stay where we were or go higher. We were hoping it didn't tick one degree colder, or we'd have to declare an emergency for being outside of the operating limitations of the aircraft. Craziest cold I've ever encountered in aviation. It was even too cold for the deice fluid to be sprayed before takeoff.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Just got home from Minneapolis. Holy frozen arctic hell! I've been in sub -30 temps high in the mountains before, but for some reason down lower the cold just cuts and hurts much more. Walking from the van to the hotel front door was breathtaking.

It was so cold we left all the APUs running on every parked aircraft overnight to keep the various systems warm enough. The water tanks had to be purged even with heat on the aircraft. Up at altitude the temps were right at the minimum allowable, -87F. We were kind of stuck up high for a while during flight - we couldn't descend because the minimum allowable temperature actually decreases with altitude, which meant we could only stay where we were or go higher. We were hoping it didn't tick one degree colder, or we'd have to declare an emergency for being outside of the operating limitations of the aircraft. Craziest cold I've ever encountered in aviation. It was even too cold for the deice fluid to be sprayed before takeoff.
Talked to a buddy who flies for Skywest. Overnight in Fargo last night they left the APU running.

The coldest I ever operated in was -35c in Calgary. Even though the bird got parked in the hanger overnight, just sitting on the ramp for an hour before we arrived played havoc.

Fired up the APU and lit up the avionics and got to stare at numerous cautions and warnings for about 30 minutes until things began to warm up.

On the other end of the scale got stuck in Palm Springs when the OAT rose to 124f. Our takeoff numbers ended at 120. Dispatch had to contact the company who created the performance program so they could calculate numbers for the higher temps. By the time all this took place the temps had "cooled" to 120 and off we went. Made for a nice lunch break for the crew, but the pax were not too happy...Lol.
Fly-Sig and 52Degrees like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
I know a guy who makes those charts with the takeoff weights and temperatures. Seems like a really boring way to make a living. Lol.
hawkerjet likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
...The coldest I ever operated in was -35c in Calgary. Even though the bird got parked in the hanger overnight, just sitting on the ramp for an hour before we arrived played havoc....
Coldest for ME was working on the ramp ('baggage-basher') at Edmonton International ('65 or '66) - temp was -40F w/ a 40 mph wind - the radio gave the wind-chill as being -108F.

We had a DC8 come in from YVR, (pre loading-bridges) and because the engines couldn't be started when they were turning-over, the aircraft was turned left-wing into wind, so PAX were walking down the stairs INTO that wind, MOST dressed for Vancouver weather.

We had a 'cab-over' Ford heater plugged-in, facing the wind, engine running, and when I tried to move it so the DC8 could leave, even tho' it was toasty-warm in the cab - the power-steering had frozen, so I backed it up about half a mile to get into the lee of the buildings, then waited till I could turn the wheel to park it inside, in the concourse.

During my 37 years as a pilot, the COLDEST I remember was during 'advanced jet training' on the T-33 at CFB Moose Jaw, in Saskatchewan. NO idea of the temp, but I finished the walk-around, got in, strapped-in, then (because IF you attached your O2 mask BEFORE you set take-off power, you would freeze the valves in it) sat there waiting for a non-com to pull over a power unit and "start me", the Tbird parked at 90 degrees to the wind, so it was HOWLING across my face, the ONLY respite being the collar of my winter flying-suit pulled UP....

Operationally, I flew all over the Arctic in the RCAF (including over the true North Pole), as well as Canada in winter-time - both airforce and airline, and THAT T-33 episode sticks in my mind as the COLDEST...!

Later, after a tour flying C-130s, I was told that my next tour was instructing at Moose Jaw, so I put in my resignation from the RCAF - joining Air Canada!!!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 AM

A couple of days ago the official temperature in Cotton, MN(just north of Duluth) was -56 F. I have a brother that lives there. His quote "It was a might nippy".

He has had -61 on a calibrated/verified thermometer, back in '96.

Another brother living near Bemidji, MN had -45 and -48 this week.

We did have a morning of light patchy frost this week in FLA.

All above temps are actual, not windchill.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...All above temps are actual, not windchill....
My sense of it is that MOST people do NOT understand what "wind-chill" is, and confuse the two temps....
Shibumik likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
A couple of days ago the official temperature in Cotton, MN(just north of Duluth) was -56 F. I have a brother that lives there. His quote "It was a might nippy".

He has had -61 on a calibrated/verified thermometer, back in '96.

Another brother living near Bemidji, MN had -45 and -48 this week.

We did have a morning of light patchy frost this week in FLA.

All above temps are actual, not windchill.

My brother goes to bemidji minnesota all the time. Thats where he was earlier this week before he went to North Dakota. He headed home to Texas yesterday. He tracks oil lines. He'll be in Chicago and a few other places in about a week...
Shibumik likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

The best I have done was about -6C working in China , but you guys are like living in cold storage..

That should real boring , all packed up and doing nothing..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:54 AM

Garage
I just rode home from work. I really don't care that the local weather stations claim 8 mph wind, 29 mpg at 50-85 mph says all you need to know about that 8 mph report.

Oh, and 46° in the driving rain.

Not that I'm complaining...

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
I just rode home from work. I really don't care that the local weather stations claim 8 mph wind, 29 mpg at 50-85 mph says all you need to know about that 8 mph report.

Oh, and 46° in the driving rain.

Not that I'm complaining...
Man 52 you are a trooper.

I am such a light weight. I don't do wind, rain, cold, dark, dirt roads (well sometimes but not often. Hate getting my bike all dirty and the chain gritty)

But the great spring riding days are just around the corner.
52Degrees likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Naw... I just don't like driving cars unless I really have to.

Well, that... combined with all the names I call the Harley guys at work... I kind of have to ride in all weather now.
onewizard and hawkerjet like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
...combined with all the names I call the Harley guys at work...- I kind of have to ride in all weather now....
52Degrees likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Garage
Will a Versys even crank up at -35? 8-)

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Garage
That's an interesting question. The sensors should be fairly accurate down to -128, I think.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Military grade electronics (the chips themselves) are rated down to -55C, which is -67F. Automotive electronics are usually pretty decently rated, too, but not mil-spec limits. I'd expect the electronics to function surprisingly well actually. Problems might be more physical/mechanical at super low temperatures than electronic. Anti-freeze below freezing point, battery performance, frost on the spark plugs preventing start-up (a known problem in aircraft), fuel failing to atomize properly in the combustion chamber, the radiator keeping the coolant too cold, etc.
52Degrees likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in