Member Rides Show off your Versys...

2Likes
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
62 degrees-gotta ride to a dive bar

Remember, when I say dive bar, I don't mean a dangerous bar. Just one that is old, a little rough around the edges and has great food.

It was a cool and somewhat damp day, but we headed north toward Florence on Hwy 79. We took Cactus Forest Rd west and then turned south on Attaway and west again on Martin. This takes you out to right across the street from The Gallopin’ Goose on American Avenue in Coolidge. This was all part of the continuing search of “dive bars” for great luncheon spots. As we pulled in to the parking lot we thought “This can’t be a dive bar, the parking lot is paved and there is a limo parked out front”. But once inside it was “Oh Ya, this IS a dive bar”. The inside is dark, the chairs are metal, they have a separate room that opens to the outside that has a dance floor and The Waylon Jennings room – more on that later. In addition to other things signifying this is a dive bar; the bathrooms are outback and beyond that is a rodeo arena. While covered, the open area also has the two pool tables. It is typical bar food, they serve coffee, but not creamer, and they don’t serve dessert. We both enjoyed our meals. The two waitresses were super nice and one brought out a copy of a Waylon Jennings autobiography that showed a mention to the time he spent in Coolidge. See photo – it explains the name for his room and that he actually played here. We will definitely return to this dive bar again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gallopin Goose pano.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	160413   Click image for larger version

Name:	G Goose interior.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	160415   Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ and Mike at The Goose.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	160417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red door bathrooms out back.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	160419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waylon Autobiography.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	160421  

Devilsfan likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Do you know how the Buddy Holly reference fits in to the history of music??

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That dive bar looks like a great place to get ones drink on!

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Do you know how the Buddy Holly reference fits in to the history of music??
FIRST story on that, that I heard MANY years back, was that Waylon had a seat on the plane but gave it to the "Big Bopper" because he (the "Big Bopper") was ill.

...And then carried a load of guilt figuring HE had been responsible for the Big Bopper's demise....

Is there MORE, Chuck?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FIRST story on that, that I heard MANY years back, was that Waylon had a seat on the plane but gave it to the "Big Bopper" because he (the "Big Bopper") was ill.

...And then carried a load of guilt figuring HE had been responsible for the Big Bopper's demise....

Is there MORE, Chuck?
You got it 100% right Fast Eddie. Come on guys, you let a Canuck ace you out on US rock and roll history??
OK, you can redeem yourself. Who sang the 8 minute long song that mentions the crash day as "the day the music died"?? (Eddie, previous winners are ineligible)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You got it 100% right Fast Eddie. Come on guys, you let a Canuck ace you out on US rock and roll history??
OK, you can redeem yourself. Who sang the 8 minute long song that mentions the crash day as "the day the music died"?? (Eddie, previous winners are ineligible)
Chuck - did I ever mention to you that there is a Canadian news magazine named "Macleans"? Sorta OUR version of "TIME". [I know, I KNOW - totally irrelevant to this thread.]

We GOTTA ride together again!

BTW I was just over 15 when Buddy died, and as he and the Crickets were my FAVORITE group, it just tore my heart out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
American Pie by Don McLean
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
American Pie by Don McLean
Congratulations Buffalo Bob!! You are correct. The next time you ride through AZ, I will buy you a beer.

Eddie, very subtle hint in your note about MacLeans Magazine.
Buffalo_Bob likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Eddie, very subtle hint in your note about MacLeans Magazine.
Chuck - how come you didn't mention a beer for ME...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Chuck - how come you didn't mention a beer for ME...?

A major oversight on my part and my deepest apologies. The next time we gather at the Riverbottom or the Gallopin Goose, I owe you a beer.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not - I've NEVER been to the "Goose", even since I learned about the "Waylon Jennings" connection....

MY bad.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode