• 6 Post By cjcintucson
  • 3 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Dive Bar Scouting

I keep a list of "dive bars" or "biker bars" in the area that always have great food and a fun atmosphere. One of them is always a lunch destination for the rides I plan with friends. Yesterday we went to the Circle S Saloon so I could complete my dive bar list. It was a great place and probably my favorite so far of the places up that direction. We then went on past the place to the El Tiro Gliderport. Open I think Friday afternoon and all day Sat and Sun, we will definitely go some time to see some gliding in action. Of the 6 at the table, only two of us never held pilots licenses. We circled back and did the obligatory ride across Park Link Rd (even though there was a couple miles of dirt due to construction), headed down through Catalina and eventually ended our time together at the new Dairy Queen in Dove Mountain. The weather was pretty darn decent (78 degrees, partial cloudy) and glad we went because the next few days look like not great weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MCs at Circle S.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	159775   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Riding Group.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	159777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tucson Soaring club.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	159779  

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Nice mixture of bikes. Trust you have a great ride and thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM

In the mid 80's I was on a business trip to Texas and stuck there over the weekend, so my buddy and I went looking for excitement. Picture 2 clean cut corporate professionals in our mid 20's, minus the pocket protectors since we were off the clock. We saw a dive bar with a motorcycle in front of it, so we pulled on in. The bike had "Bandidos" stenciled on the tank. Looks exciting!

That should have been our warning, but we were damned Yankees without a clue. It was a serious biker gang bar.

We walked in from the daylight into a pitch black room with music blaring. As we stood there stunned by the dark we heard a voice call out over the loud speaker "You boys come on in!". Gradually our eyes adjusted and we realized we were likely the only 2 non-felons in the room. Dancing on the bar top was a topless girl, none too alluring to be honest.

We each bought a beer, sipped on them for a couple of minutes, and scrammed! Nowadays I'm more discerning about which bars I'll go into.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Garage
I like to stop at little country out of the way places, but if it has the word 'bar', 'tavern', 'pub', etc. in the name I will now pass it by. I don't mind people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to be around strangers who might be partying. For some reason people get amorous, feisty, brave, rude, and obnoxious when they have a buzz on and a stranger becomes the focus of their attention.

I stop at BBQ places, Country Stores, Diners, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leipers Fork.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	159781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonshine IL.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	159783   Click image for larger version

Name:	013 Rapid River Grill.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	159785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soda Pop Junction 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	159787   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 05 26 005 Green Mountains of VT.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	159789  

Fly-Sig likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I like to stop at little country out of the way places, but if it has the word 'bar', 'tavern', 'pub', etc. in the name I will now pass it by. I don't mind people drinking alcohol, but I don't want to be around strangers who might be partying. For some reason people get amorous, feisty, brave, rude, and obnoxious when they have a buzz on and a stranger becomes the focus of their attention.

I was/am of the same mind. I do make an exception for brew pubs, however. A much more "wholesome" atmosphere. Plus the beers can be quite tasty. And most have decent food. Avalanche in Silverton, CO and the Kootenia Brew Pub in Bonner's Ferry, ID come immediately to mind.

I have also purchased a couple of stainless steel growlers so I can taste more of the goodness back at camp.

And they almost all have cool stickers that look good on the bike. My collection is growing.

Skol
twowheeladdict likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

One of my AZ favorites is the San Tan Flat Steakhouse on the Hunt Hwy, about 15 miles S of my home. John Wayne lived in the area, and there's a 'specialty-burger' there called THE DUKE which has an 8 oz patty, two types of cheese, bacon strips and mushrooms, as well as fries - and ONLY $12.99 - easily washed-down w/ a Four Peaks "Kilt Lifter" Scottish Ale!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I agree completely. And I guess my list being labeled "dive bars" is sort of a misnomer. I think only about 2 of the 10 actually serve alcohol as their main business. That and the fact that I don't drive at night (car or motorcycle), due to my eyes, our outings to these places are limited to weekday lunches. But, you are right and will keep an eye out for the places you mentioned to add to my list.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 PM

The cloest to me is Kaiaua pub with a good 60km twisty ride or 25km dull ride.Then the Rangiriri pub is a very good 1hr ride with 2 routes,both very good rides.Then its the Okoroire pub the best riders pub in the Waikato.A decent ride With lots of bike parking with all riders welcome and no hassles.These all offer a safe place to have a quiet beer and a feed.Kaiaua even has bike parking in the garden bar,leave your helmet and jacket on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode