Someone at work got tired of being called a "Harley pansy"

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Turk and Devilsfan like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 AM

I have a neighbor that bought a gorgeous 2000 Deuce. I know him from time-to-time banter as I'm heading out for a ride and we'll talk motorcycles or rock and roll.

Anyway, when I head out I often see him and his Harley outside and he's shinning up the chrome. I have to pull up along his driveway and give him **** for spending more time cleaning the bike than riding it!

He texted me this week and said he wanted to ride, so we went yesterday. (I finally got the parts for the Ninja 500 forks and resealed them on Sunday so I decided to take the EX.)

He's a nice guy but he can't ride for too long as he broke his back years ago and can't handle a really long seat-time. So we did 115 miles and I took him through some decent curvy roads. Let me tell you, I don't miss the cruisers at all!!! He was WAYYY behind me and I was going moderate! (Then again, I was on a Ninja!) There were a few times I looked back to see him crossing the yellow center line.

But, man, is that Harley gorgeous! I've always been a fan of the older Deuces with their slick gas tank, not the newer years that bubbled-up the tank.

We had a nice ride and stopped at the Coney Island for some lunch. And the weather was slightly breezy and 75 degrees!

And I wasn't embarrassed at all to be riding with a Harley owner!
Skypilot 69 likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I have a neighbor that bought a gorgeous 2000 Deuce. I know him from time-to-time banter as I'm heading out for a ride and we'll talk motorcycles or rock and roll.

Anyway, when I head out I often see him and his Harley outside and he's shinning up the chrome. I have to pull up along his driveway and give him **** for spending more time cleaning the bike than riding it!

He texted me this week and said he wanted to ride, so we went yesterday. (I finally got the parts for the Ninja 500 forks and resealed them on Sunday so I decided to take the EX.)

He's a nice guy but he can't ride for too long as he broke his back years ago and can't handle a really long seat-time. So we did 115 miles and I took him through some decent curvy roads. Let me tell you, I don't miss the cruisers at all!!! He was WAYYY behind me and I was going moderate! (Then again, I was on a Ninja!) There were a few times I looked back to see him crossing the yellow center line.

But, man, is that Harley gorgeous! I've always been a fan of the older Deuces with their slick gas tank, not the newer years that bubbled-up the tank.

We had a nice ride and stopped at the Coney Island for some lunch. And the weather was slightly breezy and 75 degrees!

Those softails don't handle curves worth crap. Even if he was a capable rider the lean angle limitations would force him to slow it down.

Now if he were a capable rider and on a touring model like the road king he would have had no problems maintain 10 mph over the speed limit through those curves. I have actually had to pass novice sport bike riders up in the smoky mountains while riding my Road Glide.

My latest Harley has zero chrome because chrome takes effort to keep looking shiny although shiny chrome definitely attract female attention.
Devilsfan likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Someone at work got tired of being called a "Harley pansy"

I have never heard that term. In what context is it used?
52Degrees likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I ride with a couple of friends that ride HD and HD style bikes.

One has a fat boy I think and the other rides what I call a Kawi-Davidson....a Voyager. My buddy on the Voyager is amazingly fast on it for such a big hog.

Guess it all comes down to the smile.
Devilsfan likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I love kawa and my brother live Harley, though he is smaller in size..When we ride he always goes missing on turns and i have to slow down to make sure he is there on my tail...well is all boils down to what one's passion is about.
onewizard and Devilsfan like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 PM

All depends on your riding skills. Versys 650 will have a hard time keeping up with Yellow wolf on his gold wing on the tail of the dragon. Enjoy this vid.
Devilsfan likes this.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 11-20-2018 at 11:28 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Oh and never underestimate a beat up old harley chopper. lol
onewizard, Fly-Sig and Devilsfan like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Outstanding Experienced rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
All depends on your riding skills. Versys 650 will have a hard time keeping up with Yellow wolf on his gold wing on the tail of the dragon. Enjoy this vid.
That was a excellent vid, and the rider following shooting it did a great job, pay attention to the weight shift of the rider, the braking , the entry and exit lines , not all riders on bikes like this can perform the same. Thanks for posting!
jaaklucas likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM

A while ago I tagged along to the tail of a gaggle of Goldwings on a road like this. It was also a bit windy. Couldn't really keep up with the degree of comfort they were showing. Those big heavy Hondas are primo-engineered for highway,low center of gravity,low clearance with all that weight kept low. Very well thought out for riding good pavement,best big highway cruiser in my opinion.Even my lowered Versys 650 is still tall especially with a full tank of gas and some cross wind. The lowest center of gravity it is not.Kinda apples and oranges on the bikes but the Goldwing rider was excellent. Those bikes are close to 800 lbs dressed, most of it down low for road handling and stable plowing through wind. Versys 650 is more of a nimble dancer through a variety of situations..and we dont need a reverse gear!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 PM

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 PM

Thought he was going down at 1:08 Those Harley dunlop tires suck in the twistys. I've pushed my 03 harley softail standard to the limit on the dragon. The dunlops would break loose on sharp curves if you applied too much throttle too early on exit. Avon venom worked a lot better. Shing shen worked extremely well, but they no longer make them for street bikes. only dirt bikes. I really enjoyed the video.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
A while ago I tagged along to the tail of a gaggle of Goldwings on a road like this. It was also a bit windy. Couldn't really keep up with the degree of comfort they were showing. Those big heavy Hondas are primo-engineered for highway,low center of gravity,low clearance with all that weight kept low. Very well thought out for riding good pavement,best big highway cruiser in my opinion.Even my lowered Versys 650 is still tall especially with a full tank of gas and some cross wind. The lowest center of gravity it is not.Kinda apples and oranges on the bikes but the Goldwing rider was excellent. Those bikes are close to 800 lbs dressed, most of it down low for road handling and stable plowing through wind. Versys 650 is more of a nimble dancer through a variety of situations..and we dont need a reverse gear!
The Goldwing built Traxxion Dynamics suspension business because they are so poorly sprung for the American market. Any wing you see shredding the curves probably has the full Traxxion Dynamics treatment.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have never heard that term. In what context is it used?
Where I work (central California), Harley guys come up to me every day and tell me how it's way too cold for them to ride and ask me how I do it.

I tell them "it's because I'm not a pansy like all you Harley guys."

I might use a different, but similar sounding word. Lol.

They stop and just stare at me for a moment, then start laughing. I mean, what are they going to say?

Truth be told, I wouldn't want to ride a Harley year round. Too hard to keep clean.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Ok that guy is nuts! Zero margin for error, and when he hit that slippery patch he nearly went into the rock cliff. Gotta give him kudos for getting that bike through the twisties quickly, but he's playing with fire.

I learned a long time ago to drive/ride as if something just beyond where I can see is a severe threat. Either an obstacle in my lane or a crazy motorist doing something stupid. Rocks fall off of cliffs, oncoming motorists drift into the wrong lane, mattresses fly off of car roofs, etc.
twowheeladdict and Devilsfan like this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
Where I work (central California), Harley guys come up to me every day and tell me how it's way too cold for them to ride and ask me how I do it.

I tell them "it's because I'm not a pansy like all you Harley guys."

I might use a different, but similar sounding word. Lol.

They stop and just stare at me for a moment, then start laughing. I mean, what are they going to say?

Truth be told, I wouldn't want to ride a Harley year round. Too hard to keep clean.

Now I am really confused because your location says hellish which implies hot. I would be more of a pansy on a big V-twin when the temps are above 90 than I would with temps in the 50s. How cold does it get in hellish inland California?

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think it got down to 14f here a couple of years ago, and may again this year.

The "hellish" description is more about summer here than winter. It's my least favorite time of year.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More recently, it's been getting down into the upper 20s on my way home from work. I think it was 28 on Monday morning, but don't quote me. Everything seems to blend together working graveyard shift.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode