Kiwi's 9 day ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Kiwi's 9 day ride

In two day i will be on my way for a 9 day 8 night away around south island of NZ. There will be 6 riders, 3 Kawasaki's (2 of which are versys) 2 triumphs, and 1 Honda. One of the guys just flew in from Aust today.

Aust having bush fires but there weather has an effect on us so look what my cheecky wife emailed about the conditions of where we will be riding.

My wifes encouraging info
A small tornado in Kaikoura has lifted a roof and brought down power lines in the south island coastal township.

Police received a call from a member of the public who reported the tornado on Beach road, in the centre of the town, about 9am, Southern Police communications shift manager Paul Reed said.
It lifted the roof off a house, which "went flying across the road", and is believed to have brought down power lines, which remained on the road, he said.

No one was hurt but power had been cut to several areas.

Police and emergency services remain at the scene and traffic had been halted.

The wild weather had affected local businesses, with Whale Watch cancelling its tours today. It was also a casualty of the power cut, a staff member said.
Meanwhile, heavy rain and lightning caused havoc in other parts of the South Island.
Water levels at Lake Wakatipu are being closely monitored today after it rose half a metre during heavy rain overnight.
But the lake hasn't yet reached its first flood warning threshold level and Otago Regional Council is confident it won't rise too much more - much to the relief of nearby residents and retailers, Radio New Zealand reported.
The Clutha is also high and several roads around the region have been closed because of flooding and the threat of landslips.
Heavy rain and lightning hit parts of the South Island overnight, sparking a number of emergency services callouts.
Fire officers attended several calls due to flooding, with Gore and Lumsden the most affected.
The Gore Volunteer Fire Brigade said flooding was widespread in the north and west of the area and it was called to seven houses where waters threatened to damages houses.
"There were some concerned residents about flood waters entering their houses," said chief fire officer Steve Lee.
Twenty-two fire volunteers, two appliances and a tanker worked to pump water from buildings. There were no evacuations and the weather was clearing, he said.
Crews from four tankers remained at Swannanoa, north Canterbury, dampening down hotspots where a scrub fire started at 3.30am.
Lightning caused six other fires, which have all been put out, in the South Island overnight.
State Highway 94, Milford Road, was closed last night because of potential flooding and was likely to reopen today.
Otago Regional Council duty flood manager Kirsty O'Sullivan said Lake Wakatipu would likely reach the top of its beaches - at 310.8m above sea level - around lunchtime today but was not expected to begin flooding the town.
Lake Wanaka was also expected to peak at lunchtime but without causing flooding.
Yesterday's rain cut the West Coast off from the south again.
Flooding of State Highway 6 at Sawmill Creek, 4km north of Makarora, led the New Zealand Transport Agency to close the highway at 5pm.
Due to high winds and heavy rain the Milford Track was closed from 11am yesterday, with 120 independent walkers on the track across the three huts.
Thirty one walkers were expected to come off the track yesterday and the rest stayed an extra night.
Other parts of the South Island are facing fire dangers, with windy conditions expected.
A total fire ban imposed across Waitaki was in place as rural firefighters continue to warn farmers of the dangers of conducting burn-offs in windy conditions, in the wake of a severe gale warning issued for Otago yesterday.
The MetService had forecast norwesterly gales of up to 120km/h in exposed areas of Otago and Waitaki Civil Defence emergency services manager Chris Raine said the ban would remain in place until the weather improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

80% packed
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The itinerary,

Ride south 2013 Distances
Day 1: 12th jan 2013 Timaru to Invercargill via the Catlins, 441km 5 hrs 46 minutes
Invercargill-Bluff-Invercargill 56km 48 min
Total for day 497km and 6 hrs 10 min

Day 2: Invercargill to Te Anau via Riverton and lake te anau, 187km 2 hrs 30 m
Te Anau-Milford Sound-Te Anau, 236km 2hrs 46 min
Total for day 423km and 5 hrs 16 min

Day 3: Te Anau to Queenstown, 171km 2 hrs 9 min
Queenstown to Wanaka via crown range 68km 58 min
Total for day 239km and 3 hrs 17 min ( luge and other stuff in Queenstown)

Day 4: Wanaka to Hokitiki 419km 4hrs 50 min
Optional detour Haast-jacksons bay-Haast , 105km 1 hr 12 min
Total for day 419km 4 hrs 50 min or including detour 524km 6hrs 2 min

Day 5: Hokitika to Westport, 140km 1hr 51min
Westport-Karamea-Westport, 190km 2 hr 26 min
Total for day 330km and 4hrs 17 min

Day 6: Westport to Puponga (close to farewell split) 331km 4hrs 17min
Puponga to Nelson 151km 2nrs 23 min
Total for day 482 km and 6 hrs 40 min.

Day 7:Nelson to Hamner Springs via Picton, 399km 5 hrs 9 min
Total for day 399km or 5 hrs 9 min

Day 8:19/1/13 Hamner Springs to Stillwater, 201km 2hrs 23min
Stillwater to Darfield, 193km 2 hrs 23min
Darfield to Akaroa, 111km 1hr 33 min
Total for day 505km or 6hrs 19 min

Day 9: Akaroa to Timaru via leeston, 223km 3 hrs 6 min
Total for day 223km or 3 hrs 6 min

Summary
Day 1, 469km 12th of jan
Day 2, 423km
Day 3, 239km
Day 4, 419km
Day 5, 330km
Day 6, 482km
Day 7, 399km
Day 8, 505km
Day 9, 223km 20th of Jan 2013

Total without any detours 3489km and 43hrs of travel time

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good luck Kiwi! Take your new camera and maybe a still camera as it sounds like you might see some thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 AM

What's your Aussie mate doing for a mount? Is he shipping his over or hiring one there?

The South Island is one of my favourite places anywhere in the world I've ever been to, but I've never ridden there.. best beer in the world too..

I tried to get the Tooheys Rep here to import me a pallet of Speights- without any luck, apparently they used to but not anymore.. Typical that was just before I'd got to trying it..

You really get about on your bikes mate- I'm so envious you can get away for that long too.
Have a great time you lucky bugger!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The man from across the ditch has hired a triumph sprint from christchurch and rode up to meet him and he is staying in my home town of Timaru which is 160 k south of chch.

Its going to be a aventure with floods, washed out bridges and over my side fires burning out of control in canterbury being fueld by hot dry winds. Speights is a good drop a real mans drink they safe down in the deep dark south.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Good luck Kiwi! Take your new camera and maybe a still camera as it sounds like you might see some thing!
The new camera is a gonna after i cooked 3 of them so they giving me my money back but my normal camera takes great photos and does do vid and the cannon is 14 optical and 14 mega pixel.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 AM

Those Air hawks are great eh?! I've one that I use on my road bikes and my WR and after 10 hrs or more in the saddle I'm up for more.
The best hot seat fix I've ever known..
Possibly the best mod I have ever owned.

I had a mate call me an old lady when he first saw it, but after the first 300km he was wingeing of a sore arse and wanted to try it out.
I said it was too hard to take off easily and he's never forgiven me for that prank as we did over 1000km that day. I let him try it the next day on the last run home and I took it off in around 25 seconds.
He went and ballistic when he saw how easy it was to fit...

He bought one a few days later and now we joke about going for a ladies day out which is private humour between us for a big distance ride.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Those Air hawks are great eh?! I've one that I use on my road bikes and my WR and after 10 hrs or more in the saddle I'm up for more.

Brought the air hawk because the ninja 1000 is not the best seat but since i have one may as well put it on the versys for 9 days in the saddle.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 AM
MTS

[QUOTE=crow;225903]Those Air hawks are great eh?! I've one that I use on my road bikes and my WR and after 10 hrs or more in the saddle I'm up for more.

+1 Absolutely! Only thing I had to do on the V was correct forward seat slope and with Air Hawk, best seat ever! Ride all day!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
The new camera is a gonna after i cooked 3 of them so they giving me my money back but my normal camera takes great photos and does do vid and the cannon is 14 optical and 14 mega pixel.
Good on you mate! Cann't wait for photos!

Some new camera's coming out. Maybe a different new one?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Good on you mate! Cann't wait for photos!

Some new camera's coming out. Maybe a different new one?
Have not got time to look for a new dedicated bike vid camera but got the bug to get one so will look around when back from trip, taking off in less than 24 hrs so depart time around 8am sat morn NZ
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have a great & safe trip...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Geez, sounds like a good adventure to me! Standing by for photos and ride report.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
and safe ride buddy.

Standing by for pictures...

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Total distance for trip 4000k with 8 nights 9 days away, will post a ride report in separate thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in