Off Road Technique from my ride yesterday. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Scott Zinda
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Off Road Technique from my ride yesterday.

I got some dirt miles in again yesterday. I have some thoughts that may help some guys new to dirt or gravel. Most was winding climbing and descending fire roads nothing to hardcore but the loose gravel was tricky for some of the big bikes with me. The roughest sections had some very rocky shale that would slide. Overall in all of it the Versys X was super stable.

The way I rode the Versys was not like riding a dirt bike although I also do this on a dirt bike for super technical downhill. I tried not to use the clutch or brakes. Its was that simple. If I kept the bike in 2nd gear I could climb easily without pealing out the back tire on slippery rocks, and the engine would slow me down in a very comfortable and predictable fashion downhill. Engine braking is the best version of ABS on tricky downhills.

I did shift to 3/4 gear for straight aways of course.

There is no need to feather the clutch. The Versys won't stall going up or down in second gear unless you come to a complete stop and even then as long as touch the throttle a tiny bit, it will just push forward. It is a tractor.

I was also using stock tires. I think these tires are just fine for most off road if you ride know how to ride them. I can see the urge to to panic when the bikes has a bit of a slide on rocks, gravel, or sand, but the reality is they hook up just fine when you let out the clutch, lay off the brakes, and just idle or give it throttle. No I did not air them down. I had the recommended stock pressure for the street.

One other thought. I was standing up most of the time down hill or in tricky sections. You would be surprised how much more control you have standing up. You will feel it instantly. Just let the bike surf below you and look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. And let go of the clutch and brakes! I promise that works wonders.

I will probably get some beefier off road tires because there are so many sharp rocks in Southern California, but I don't have to have them. I had the most street oriented tires yesterday in the group of KTMs and BMWs and I had zero problems keeping up even in the roughest parts of the ride.

I am still learning how to ride these larger bikes having grown up on light weight motocross bikes. I would love to hear the techniques you guys use that may help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45389584_10213031684883586_7175944848925523968_o.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	159471   Click image for larger version

Name:	45453420_10213031693563803_4133171312409444352_o.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	159473  
sedro tom and kiwicraig like this.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Zinda View Post
...I am still learning how to ride these larger bikes having grown up on light weight motocross bikes. I would love to hear the techniques you guys use that may help me.
ALL I would add, from my experience, is (while STANDING on the 'pegs, OF COURSE!) to lean as far forward as possible going UPHILL to load the front wheel, and to keep from wheeleying over backwards; and to lean WAY back w/ your knees gripping the tank for steep downhills, using REAR brakes only for PROBABLY 90% of the time.

ALSO it's very important to replace any rubber-covered foot-pegs w/ "toothed" MX-style ones!!!

Scott Zinda likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gravel, rocks, sand, technique, versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode