First year, 20,000 miles done. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

First year, 20,000 miles done.

GOD I LOVE THIS THING!!!!
Typical story of I rode a dirt bike when I was a kid. Then I hit 39 years old and decided to buy a bike for the road....(midlife crisis accomplished).

On a whim I decided to take the MSF course and the first time I let out the clutch I was hooked.
I finished the class on a Thursday at 2PM had my license on Friday, and the Versys on Saturday just about a year ago. The ride home was a little nerve wrecking. Taking back roads most of the way home, but Ill never forget that first left hand onto a 3 lane road. I took all three lanes and part of the emergency lane I was so scared to lean!!!!

A few months ago I was heading to a gun shop on the other side of town, missed the exit. Said "OH haven't been to Mesquite in a few years, lets go there" Got to Mesquite "Oh I haven't been to St. George in a while" 300 Miles latter I was home from just heading 10 miles to the gun shop for a quick minute.....hah!

20,000 miles in one year, I am still just in love with two wheels. Its amazing how free I feel on the bike, even when people are trying to kill me 2-3 times a day. I'm so glad I went with the versys over the Honda 500x I was leaning towards.

I can't wait for the next 20,000!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Great write-up!!! Your feelings are shared with many of us, no doubt! I always have said that riding is therapy. I have NEVER had a bad ride, nor have I ever pulled into the driveway still pissed off at something...ever!!! (Even when my bike went one way down the road and I the other way!)
twowheels, Kyle E and Shibumik like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:18 AM

20k in one year!!! That's fantastic.

You are one "riding fool"...just as the Gump was a "running fool." Love to ride and love to run.

Heck I thought I ride quite a lot but you got me beat. I only did 11k the first year owning my little V-650.

I could not agree more about your comment, "Its amazing how free I feel on the bike."

Having busted up both feet in an accident back in the mid 70's, my activities have been somewhat limited since then. Running and jumping or long hikes in the mountains have all in the rear view since then...but when I get on the bike I feel totally normal (whatever that is...Lol.) The point is when I am on the bike there are no limitations or restrictions on my ability to perform.

This reminds me of a quote from the Late Martin Luther King and I guess I could call it my riding mantra : "Free at last, free at last, than God Almighty I'm free at last...amen and amen.
Kyle E and Ricki Ticki Tavi like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Garage
20k in one year, wow I don`t come nowhere close to that on my car.
Kyle E likes this.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
20k in one year, wow I don`t come nowhere close to that on my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
I only did 11k the first year owning my little V-650.
GET OUT MORE!!!!!!! Hah!

hawkerjet Man I hear you. I spent 4 months in a wheel chair and a few more learning to walk again. Ill never run again, but I'm happy to walk a few miles a day (and fly a 150 or so!)

Thankfully I live someplace where I can ride year round and it never rains. I probably wont do as much this next year, but who knows. I work from home 3-4 days a week, so I have the luxury of being able to set my own hours. Someday's you just say "ohhh its 2:00 why dont I go for a lap around Lake Mead" 75 miles latter.....

When the guy at Costco gas station knows you by name you may have a sickness.
Its kind of funny to look at my fuel log it is nearly every other day.
Bike (Kawasaki KLE650 Versys) | Fuelly
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

-
Kyle E likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
GET OUT MORE!!!!!!! Hah!

hawkerjet Man I hear you. I spent 4 months in a wheel chair and a few more learning to walk again. Ill never run again, but I'm happy to walk a few miles a day (and fly a 150 or so!)
Man that brings back some memories and as Bill Clinton once said "I feel your pain." Lol. Spent 3 months in a wheel chair with casts on both legs up to my...well you know which parts I mean.

Then crutches for another 9 months and don't forget 6 months of physical therapy. Built such a relationship with the folks at physical therapy that they celebrated my graduation day with an office party, complete with a cake lit with a dozen candles. Real fine folks back then.

But at least we can ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Kyle E likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Garage
There is truly nothing like riding a motorcycle. The first time I drove in a sports car, my first vehicle in high school, I was hooked on "being there". That's how I think of it. The closed cab of a car is like watching it on TV. Feeling the wind, the sounds, even the rain means it's real. A motorcycle is one big step more real than a sports car. You can lean, feel the wind on your face, pull over on some side road, stop about anywhere.... and did I mention the camaraderie? We wave at each other, get in long conversations, make plans to go somewhere, and tell stories. Oh man, the stories.... Yeh, wouldn't trade it.
Kyle E likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Garage
Congrats.

I am on the waning side of my riding career after averaging 25,000 a year for many years. Now I am forced to trailer or haul my bikes to the fun riding locations instead of riding them there. At least I am still riding.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Congrats.

I am on the waning side of my riding career after averaging 25,000 a year for many years. Now I am forced to trailer or haul my bikes to the fun riding locations instead of riding them there. At least I am still riding.
Sooo trading the Versys in on a Harley? Kidding.
I get the not wanting to do the slab miles, its kind of pointless to do so for most. Makes the miles on the bike much more enjoyable once you get where you are going without all the extra crap on it, and sore muscles.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sooo trading the Versys in on a Harley? Kidding.
I get the not wanting to do the slab miles, its kind of pointless to do so for most. Makes the miles on the bike much more enjoyable once you get where you are going without all the extra crap on it, and sore muscles.
I did. I now have a Road Glide Special and the Moto Guzzi V7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark 03.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	158073   Click image for larger version

Name:	016 Lake near Ruidoso NM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	158075   Click image for larger version

Name:	109 SW8 Silverton.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	158077  
Kyle E likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That Guzzi is sexy. I went by and looked at them the other day and man I would love to have one.
I really like the new/er front end on the big road bikes from Hardley like that , they look mean now.

Saw the funniest thing about Harley being towed the other day...

Some Harley guy talking about all the great rides hes taking this year and how much he enjoys riding side by side with his brothers...

Some random guy comments

How are you fitting 2 F-150s with enclosed trailers in a single lane?
(massive butthurt ensues)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
That Guzzi is sexy. I went by and looked at them the other day and man I would love to have one.
I really like the new/er front end on the big road bikes from Hardley like that , they look mean now.

Saw the funniest thing about Harley being towed the other day...

Some Harley guy talking about all the great rides hes taking this year and how much he enjoys riding side by side with his brothers...

Some random guy comments

How are you fitting 2 F-150s with enclosed trailers in a single lane?
(massive butthurt ensues)

When I was out touring these United States I saw more Harleys out there touring than any other brand of motorcycle. I was actually amazed at how few Goldwings I saw by comparison.

I put 60,000 miles on my Vulcan Voyager which was a natural progression to my first Harley touring bike.

This was my stable in 2014. The Moto Guzzi Cafe Classic was my first venture away from Japanese motorcycles. Since then I have owned Triumph and Harley outside of the four Japanese brands.

I don't mind the comments about trailering because I have ridden the miles. Now it is about quality miles instead of quantity miles.

I like having the portable garage with me as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011 My Stable.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	158081   Click image for larger version

Name:	011a US82 between Cloudcroft and Alamogordo.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	158083   Click image for larger version

Name:	020 Portable Garage.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	158085  
Kyle E likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:23 AM

The HD Electra/Road Glide is by far what you see the most when going on a long road trip. Lots of people out on those covering huge miles. Other than cornering (it'll go fast enough) it's got self adjusting valves, belt drive and tires that last forever in comparison to sport touring bikes. Good wind protection too. They make great touring bikes. Crossing the US involves going in a strait line most of the time anyways especially in the middle.

I'm really looking forward to seeing HD's take on the ADV bike in the next few years. Hopefully it's not super heavy.

Kyle you got a great deal on the used V, enjoy! I'm trying to convince a friend on mine to go the same route for an upcoming long trip next year. He's only owned large HD's before and is pretty apprehensive about a "small" japanese bike.
Kyle E likes this.

Last edited by Lee R; 09-05-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Is that a 238 Kawi in the pic?

Cookin Wid Gas

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Is that a 238 Kawi in the pic?

1975 KT250 Trials

Here is a better pic, and one of what it would have looked like when it rolled out of the factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001 KT250.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	158111   Click image for larger version

Name:	484868.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	158113  
Kyle E likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
The HD Electra/Road Glide is by far what you see the most when going on a long road trip. Lots of people out on those covering huge miles. Other than cornering (it'll go fast enough) it's got self adjusting valves, belt drive and tires that last forever in comparison to sport touring bikes. Good wind protection too. They make great touring bikes. Crossing the US involves going in a strait line most of the time anyways especially in the middle.

I'm really looking forward to seeing HD's take on the ADV bike in the next few years. Hopefully it's not super heavy.

Kyle you got a great deal on the used V, enjoy! I'm trying to convince a friend on mine to go the same route for an upcoming long trip next year. He's only owned large HD's before and is pretty apprehensive about a "small" japanese bike.

The Road Glide Special handles curves quite well. It just takes a lot more skill to ride one fast than it does a bike 1/2 its size. Oh, and the Ohlins I have on it help keep those tires in contact with the road.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...and the Ohlins I have on it help keep those tires in contact with the road.
Is that the meaning of "road-hugging-weight"...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The Road Glide Special handles curves quite well. It just takes a lot more skill to ride one fast than it does a bike 1/2 its size. Oh, and the Ohlins I have on it help keep those tires in contact with the road.
What make you of the Pan America?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Is that the meaning of "road-hugging-weight"...?

A lot like the Concours 1400. Holds a line really well, but not so happy in fast esses. Very planted.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode