• 3 Post By PJC1955
  • 2 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By Bale2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well that sucks

Had to happen eventually. Luckily it wasn't a high speed violent event, but I dropped my '16 V650LT, 2200 miles, on a really crappy gravel road in West Virginia. A wrong turn led me uphill through some nastiness, that ran into dead ends on a couple branches, and I had to turn around. That hill was a lot steeper than it seemed coming up, and the ABS wouldn't let me lock up to any controlled slide. Eventually my limited skills and substantial luck ran out, the front caught a crater, and I high-sided over and down. ATGATT ( except jeans, no armor) paid off and all I got was a skinned knee, some scars on the hard case, a damaged hand guard ( but not hand) and a hole punched in the plastic by the right front blinker. (Question: should I replace, or just leave the black gorilla tape in place as a battle scar and reminder?) Object lesson: when you leave your route directions on the kitchen table, don't go by sense of smell. Stop and check the gps. That would have prevented the wrong turn, and so forth. Still a great day. Last note: armored cordura and ballistic mesh pants ordered today. Will pull the trigger on crash bars mid September. Ride safe, everybody.
onewizard, 16VGTIDave and Kyle E like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 AM

Replace those front turn signals with micro sized units. I used R&G brand LED signals. They are brighter than factory and they won't hit the ground in a tip over. You'll need an adapter plate to mount them on, which R&G sells inexpensively. For LED signals you need a load adapter which is a simple plug-in to the wiring and is quite cheap too.

Super glue will work on the fairing plastic btw.

I had a similar low speed tip-over on a steep uphill dirt/gravel trail switchback. I'm not good at those and knew it but pressed on due to peer pressure. I fell the long way, down not up the slope. I broke a collar bone and also broke off the right side foot peg. All from a nearly zero mph tip over. But, the micro sized turn signals didn't hit the ground and thus the fairing didn't get damaged.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 07:15 AM

A couple of things.

A gps can lead to some pretty interesting conclusions, like a "road" that has been grown over by twenty year old trees. DAMHIK, IJK.

On the factory front turn signals there is a metal plate on the inside of the stalk mount. Remove that and the odds of the fairing being broken on a fall down are virtually eliminated. I've ridden over 35k miles after having done that and all is good. That includes speeds up to a ton and some off road. The rubber seems to be stiff enough to hold them in place. Somebody has commented that you can do the same to the rear ones.
Buffalo_Bob and StormRider like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC1955 View Post
a hole punched in the plastic by the right front blinker. (Question: should I replace, or just leave the black gorilla tape in place as a battle scar and reminder?)
Glad you are ok.

I had to replace my right side when I bought the bike used. Previous owned dropped it in his driveway and poked the turn signal thru the cowling.

Partzilla is where I get all my parts. They are consistently the lest expensive online store I have found. Buck 35 and a little shipping will have you back in the pink...er green, well at least for me.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...732c6cd6c8e30c
StormRider likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Garage
I too had that punch during a tip over. So common. I think you can undo the turn signal mounting bracket so the just the plastic fairing holds it in place so it will just pop out during a tip over.

Edit: Whoops someone mentioned this idea already...sorry.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.

Last edited by StormRider; 08-28-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Someone said this already.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 AM

Garage
Another lesson is don't climb any hill you are not willing to come back down.

I got committed on some ATV trail hills on my dual sports that I knew if I didn't get out I was walking out because there was no way I was going back down with the cliff on one side.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post

On the factory front turn signals there is a metal plate on the inside of the stalk mount. Remove that and the odds of the fairing being broken on a fall down are virtually eliminated. I've ridden over 35k miles after having done that and all is good. That includes speeds up to a ton and some off road. The rubber seems to be stiff enough to hold them in place. Somebody has commented that you can do the same to the rear ones.
This is exactly correct. My fairing broke when the signal popped out after a low side. Had to replace both. I removed the metal plates and the rubber has been more than enough to retain the signals. I would have removed the plates on day 1 had I known.
PJC1955 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Removing that metal piece works, but when I went down HARD on my '15 (after forgetting to remove the disc-lock from the front brakes), the SW-Motech "crash-bars" saved me from breaking anything other than my left saddle-bag....

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...8-19-july.html [post #6]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode