Stuff you forgot / stuff you didn't need. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Stuff you forgot / stuff you didn't need.

Something I have been thinking about lately now that the weather is about to start cooling off here in the desert. Another month or so till I start camping again.

What is the thing you forgot on the last trip?
What is the thing you didn't use you should have left at home?

For me I always forget to take new towels in my camping gear. I wash them when I get home, and never put them back!

And I always think I need a shovel for some reason and never use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 PM

most things i take on a trip i don't use. some say if you didn't use it on your last trip, don't take it next time. but i disagree. i've never used my S&G tire plug kit, but i always carry with me, even in town. always have my tool kit under the seat that includes everything i need to basically work on the bike anywhere.

what we take should reflect where we're going on our trip and what we plan to do, as well as precautionary things to get use out of a pickle, like a tire kit, mini compressor, duct tape, a quick stand to raise the rear wheel, etc. ..... i bring a extra clutch cable too, but I'm paranoid.

every person is different, but there will be a lot of overlap re what different people will choose to take.

one thing i take too much of is clothes. i usually don't wear half of what i take.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:13 PM

There were a few things I didn't use on my 2 moto camping trips earlier this summer. I'll see if I can remember any others to add to the list.

Extra water from home. I prefer not to drink tap water from random sources, and not knowing either whether H2O would be available (it wasn't in some of the places), I brought about 3 gallons with me. I ended up only using about half of it. I did drink the gallon of Gatorade I brought!

Rain gear. But if it had rained I would have wanted it. Ditto all the tools, emergency equipment and spares for important items like a fire starter. Worth carrying.

Too much stove fuel. I ended up only using about 20% of the Coleman stove fuel. A smaller bottle would have been plenty.

Extra gloves. One pair of the summer touring gloves was plenty. No need for a second pair of gloves.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
Never needed my roadside repair kit, or my first aid kit. I probably carry too many gloves trying to be prepared for changing conditions.

I have check lists so I don't forget anything.

Same for prepping the bike for the trip.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...Too much stove fuel. I ended up only using about 20% of the Coleman stove fuel. A smaller bottle would have been plenty....
I "FIXED" that, by buying a camp stove that uses gasoline.

-
16VGTIDave likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
There were a few things I didn't use on my 2 moto camping trips earlier this summer. I'll see if I can remember any others to add to the list.

Extra water from home. I prefer not to drink tap water from random sources, and not knowing either whether H2O would be available (it wasn't in some of the places), I brought about 3 gallons with me. I ended up only using about half of it. I did drink the gallon of Gatorade I brought!

Rain gear. But if it had rained I would have wanted it. Ditto all the tools, emergency equipment and spares for important items like a fire starter. Worth carrying.

Too much stove fuel. I ended up only using about 20% of the Coleman stove fuel. A smaller bottle would have been plenty.

Extra gloves. One pair of the summer touring gloves was plenty. No need for a second pair of gloves.
ditto on powerade. i bring a quart of water, but i rarely touch it. i guzzle the powerade all day. keep 2-3 strapped to the top of my luggage at all times.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:14 AM

Garage
Always been a 'spreadsheet' guy, so I use them to create lists, log maintenance events, create routes, etc. Google Sheets is a great tool to use since you can easily access your worksheets from your phone, tablet, computer, and you can easily 'share' them if desired. I have a packing list that I use for every trip, here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
StanBo, SteveJ and Kyle E like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:22 AM

KnobbyGuy,

I like the list. I may copy that.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Something I have been thinking about lately now that the weather is about to start cooling off here in the desert. Another month or so till I start camping again.

What is the thing you forgot on the last trip?
What is the thing you didn't use you should have left at home?

For me I always forget to take new towels in my camping gear. I wash them when I get home, and never put them back!

And I always think I need a shovel for some reason and never use it.
Best base layer is anything synthetic like Cool Max type underwear under gear or athletic t-shirts made without cotton. It's comfortable and you can rinse it out in a sink and wear it wet and it will almost instantly dry while you wear it.

Evaporative cooling vests only work so well for me and are probably a waste of money. Just wet a t shirt and you have the same effect and work as well or better. See above.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-11-2018 at 07:42 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 AM

Garage
Modded my versys for offroading including using a KX450 dirt bike front fender. When looking for tires the best I could find was 120/70 17 for the front front, but if I had figured out that 130/80 r17 rear tire mounted in reverse is 1.5" taller and fits, I woulda got that instead.

The problem with owning a Versys is if you want to replace it with noticeable improvement, you either need a Ninja 1000 or a Husqvarna 501.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I "FIXED" that, by buying a camp stove that uses gasoline.

-

Wow, I can imagine that might represent an opportunity for an "explosive" evening meal or morning coffee!

Personally, my camp stove is fueled by nitro glycerin. Go big or go home someone once said. I think that someone is now dead.
Kyle E likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM

Garage
Most hikers these days use something like the JetBoil system and eschew the old style Colman stoves due to weight and size.

If you want something that packs small, is very lightweight and works without pots and pans they're your best choice.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-21-2018 at 08:37 AM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Most hikers these days use something like the JetBoil system and eschew the old style Colman stoves due to weight and size.

If you want something that packs small, is very lightweight and works without pots and pans they're your best choice.
The guy that I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail with has switched from Jet Boil to these because they are so much smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/BRS-Outdoor-C.../dp/B00NNMF70U
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Problem is, as I see it, you need a butane (or propane) canister for those stoves, which MIGHT NOT be available wherever you ARE! Gasoline...? Right there, in my Versys' gas tank. The stove isn't too big either -

-
16VGTIDave likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
...Personally, my camp stove is fueled by nitro glycerin. Go big or go home someone once said. I think that someone is now dead.
When I worked in the "oil-patch", we would 'do' what we called a "jungle-lunch" - a can of stew w/ a hole to let out steam, placed on the intake manifold of our truck around 10AM, then by noon - nice and HOT - ready to eat!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, I can imagine that might represent an opportunity for an "explosive" evening meal or morning coffee!

Personally, my camp stove is fueled by nitro glycerin. Go big or go home someone once said. I think that someone is now dead.
I remember once seeing a radiograph of a detonation wave in a chunk of teflon. Where I work, we used to treat nitromethane as an explosive. Others usually treat it as a flammable liquid and put it in their vehicles. I agree that gasoline is dangerous, but so is propane.

If you are really worried about being around an explosion, then you should not keep anything combustible around you. As an example, silo explosions come from grain dust.

Here is a video of what is called a BLEVE, for instance.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:08 AM

My stove is a Whisper Lite which was pretty state of the art way back when. The new version can use auto gas or Coleman white gas. My old version can only burn Coleman white gas.

The newfangled stoves can burn hotter, and they do seem to be cleaner (less sooty) after use. One thing to be aware of is if they need propane/butane canisters you can't carry those with you on airplanes or even trains (if they search). Crossing borders can be problematic. And douchebags leave the empties to litter campgrounds. The more remote the campground the more likely a canister will be left behind rather than carried out.

Mine works fine for my needs so I won't bother replacing it. I seem to have passed that age of needing to have the latest greatest version. Except guitars. The next guitar is going to be the last one!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Problem is, as I see it, you need a butane (or propane) canister for those stoves, which MIGHT NOT be available wherever you ARE! Gasoline...? Right there, in my Versys' gas tank. The stove isn't too big either -

-

Ah a gourmet meal I see. I'm envious - love chili, but it doesn't like me very much.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ah a gourmet meal I see. I'm envious - love chili, but it doesn't like me very much.
That's because you PROBABLY 'wash' yours down w/ beer, while I, being such a gentleman, wash MINE down w/ "Evan Williams" bourbon...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:

-
oh, sh-t. i think i'll stay upwind !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode