Another Colorado Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Another Colorado Ride

I missed most of the good weather in September due to trips to Turkey and Alaska, but my buddies talked me into taking Friday off. The weather in Denver all week was rainy and stormy, but the forecast was for slightly better weather on Friday.

The basic trip was from Littleton to Palmer Lake/Monument on 105, then south to Colorado Springs and up to Cripple Creek.

105 is one of the best ways to get down south from Denver - it's less traveled and a lot more twisty and scenic than the highway. Once we got to Colorado Springs, we headed for Goldcamp Road and Cripple Creek. After a short detour up the 'northern' portion of Goldcamp Road, you see a sign that says Goldcamp does not go all the way through to Cripple Creek. We took the rest of that loop anyway, then found the Old Stage Road detour that hooks back up with Goldcamp Road after a few miles.

I was a little apprehensive on the dirt/gravel roads at first, as the last few times on gravel weren't the funnest rides I've had. But these roads were more hard packed dirt with a good base, and with all the moisture we've had lately, the traction was pretty good.

We stopped at the St. Peter's Dome Trailhead. There is a good overlook of Colorado Springs there:

The three bikes: a Ulysses, my Versys and a Multistrada

While we were there, we hiked the trail to the base of the dome. No one wanted to scramble up vertical boulders, etc. with motorcycle boots on, so we returned to the bikes for the rest of the trip. (Note to self, leave the cotton layers out next time, sweating while hiking and getting back on a bike traveling at 40 - 45mph chills the body a little bit )

From St. Peter's Dome, we continued to Cripple Creek. I wanted to stop and get some pics of the bikes with the Victor/Cripple Creek gold mine in the background, but it was raining by then so we pushed on to Cripple Creek and lunch. All in all, we probably ran close to +/- 35 miles of unpaved roads, including three old train tunnels.

I told you the weather had been cold in Colorado:

After lunch, we headed up to Divide, just in time for another nice rainstorm along the way. Then we finished by heading East towards Woodland Park and then North to Deckers:

From there, I headed north to Pine Junction, then back East to Littleton.

Things I learned: My rear tire is down to wear bars at about 4,600 miles. Time for new tires. Heated grips would have been nice (sitting in my garage, waiting for install). Handguards may have helped a little (sitting in my garage, waiting for install). Riding with buddies that have heated vests, and heated grips, makes it seem about 10 -15 degrees colder

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 PM

Sounds like a great ride. I wish it weren't such a long ride for me to get down to that part of the state without an overnight stay somewhere.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 AM
MTS

Nice trip! Love those hard packed roads.

Was on a deep big rocked gravel the other day and had to turn around. It was too much for me. Big round rocks. First time I turned and ran. Gravel was about a foot deep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Very cool, hand guards make a huge dif even if you have not got heated grips. My V has barkbusters and my other bike has heated grips but no guards, if I am riding into very cold wind chill conditions prefer the v with barkbusters but having both would be better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 PM
COD

Very nice ride Kiwi ... and the pics look great! I took a spin in the country today and decided to turn the bike around when I realized I was unfamiliar with the road ahead... So I pull into a gravel parking lot. In retrospect, I would have probably been better off on the road ahead. No pic of me duck walking my V thank god!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 AM

What sorts of hand guards does the Versys community like?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM

next time you ride down the southern part of the front range bypass Cripple creek and continue west on CO 24 head south trhough Twin Rocks rd around Florissant National Monument. Once past the monument head south on CoRd 1 then to Co Rd 11. That ends on Hwy 9 north west of Canon City. You can return via Canon City through Hwy 50 or head up north on Hwy 9 to Hartsel. CoRd 1 and 11 are all paved and in good condition they have a fantastic set of high speed sweepers and curves and barely any traffic. The only hazard is on CoRd11. The road goes through BLM open range so you have to watch for the cattle guards and chances of livestock on the road.

You are going to like that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode