It's Cold up here! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's Cold up here!

I went for a two hour ride today and I don't think I broke my record for the coldest temps I've ridden in but I think I came close. My outside temp gauge said 20F/-6C. Glad I made the investment in the heated liner. What's the coldest you've ridden in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 PM

It was 11 degrees here this morning. Pretty cold for this time of year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Probably 55 to 60 degrees f

,,,what? I'm a wimp.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 PM

It was 14 last week here in colorado. It was still bareable but I wouldn't go for more then a half an hour without a heted liner in that temp.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Nice pics of your bike. It was in the low 20's and very windy here today. I shoveled the snow off my sidewalk and the wind blew it right back. I'd like to go for a little ride this weekend even if it's just over town to top off my gas tank. All the people around here are wimps. Once it gets below about 50 you never see any bikes out here. People think I'm crazy when I take my bike out when it's cold. The problem in my area is ice. Going up and down below freezing the snow melts and turns to ice.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 AM

My commiseration to you Ocean and the rest of you up north. Not to rub it in, but we're having highs around 70 where I live in NM at present, (although the night time lows are in the mid 30s).

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It was -21 C (-5.8 F) here this morning... November 6th was my last day when it went up to 17.6 C (63.7 F), which is unusually late in the year. So I just have to wait at least till end of March. It gives me lotsa time to take suspension apart and grease it, replace fork oil, do some exhaust porting, build a custom magnaflow/Yoshimura silencer for my Muzzy exhaust, etc. I just have to wait over four months to see how it sounds and runs, and how it does on the dyno...
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Probably 55 to 60 degrees f
,,,what? I'm a wimp.
Bear, don't tell me you've put your bike up for the winter in TEXAS! Unless you're doing what bear's do in the winter - hybernate.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
Nice pics of your bike. It was in the low 20's and very windy here today. I shoveled the snow off my sidewalk and the wind blew it right back. I'd like to go for a little ride this weekend even if it's just over town to top off my gas tank. All the people around here are wimps. Once it gets below about 50 you never see any bikes out here. People think I'm crazy when I take my bike out when it's cold. The problem in my area is ice. Going up and down below freezing the snow melts and turns to ice.
Jim, that's the problem is those ice patches. Riding in this weather presents new challenges. The greatest being that drivers don't expect a lunatic on a motorcycle this time of year. Just a 1/2 hour ride makes all the difference to me. If I can get that in then I'm happy. I'll ride until the roads get full of snow, ice and sand and then I'll put the bike away. One year I was able to ride to the end of January. Last year I wasn't that lucky - I had to put the bike up at the end of November and there just wasn't any good days left until spring to ride. That was tough.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1015 View Post
It was 14 last week here in colorado. It was still bareable but I wouldn't go for more then a half an hour without a heted liner in that temp.
Skibum, +1 on that heated liner. I need the heated gloves, too. The snomobile gloves I'm using are only good down to 32F/0C. After that my fingers start to tingle.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
My commiseration to you Ocean and the rest of you up north. Not to rub it in, but we're having highs around 70 where I live in NM at present, (although the night time lows are in the mid 30s).
Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? Keep us up to date on riding and send plenty of pics of sunshine and blue skies. It's cold temps and grey skies until spring around here.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It was -21 C (-5.8 F) here this morning... November 6th was my last day when it went up to 17.6 C (63.7 F), which is unusually late in the year. So I just have to wait at least till end of March. It gives me lotsa time to take suspension apart and grease it, replace fork oil, do some exhaust porting, build a custom magnaflow/Yoshimura silencer for my Muzzy exhaust, etc. I just have to wait over four months to see how it sounds and runs, and how it does on the dyno...

Invader, I enjoyed those warm temps while we had them, too. Today, snow isn't predicted and if the roads are clear - I'll go out again. You always have plenty to do on your bike - can't wait to see pics and hear about the results of your latest modifications. Always a good read from you.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Bear, don't tell me you've put your bike up for the winter in TEXAS! Unless you're doing what bear's do in the winter - hybernate.

Nah, our bad weather is short-termed & sporadic, so no hibernation necessary. Call me a fair weather pilot...

By the way, its foggy & 59 degrees f (what key is the little circle for 'degrees' anyway??) right now with the threat of rain. Its supposed to hit a high of 71 a little later & hopefully it wont rain. I'll probably take a short ride then.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 AM

Nice bike ocean. You gotta love the way the bike looks. Stay warm.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Nice bike ocean. You gotta love the way the bike looks. Stay warm.
Thanks, Carbo. I'll try to - it's hard to stay warm at this time of year.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 AM

" Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? "
Not quite amigo. It's all about elevation here in the SW USA. In the summer I ride up in the mountains. I can gain 4700 ft. in altitude in a 25 minute ride from my door. That equates to about a 15 to 20 degree, (F), drop in daytime temperature. Even down low it's not too bad as long as you're moving, and have a mesh jacket. Wintertime we stay down lower except for mid day. The trade off is that the lower elevation rides are generally less entertaining, (fewer twisties). Here are some of the summer rides:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1119
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1816

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
" Miguelito, this is your riding time - in the summer it just get's too hot, right? "
Not quite amigo. It's all about elevation here in the SW USA. In the summer I ride up in the mountains. I can gain 4700 ft. in altitude in a 25 minute ride from my door. That equates to about a 15 to 20 degree, (F), drop in daytime temperature. Even down low it's not too bad as long as you're moving, and have a mesh jacket. Wintertime we stay down lower except for mid day. The trade off is that the lower elevation rides are generally less entertaining, (fewer twisties). Here are some of the summer rides:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1119
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1816
You got me - what a ride! Nice pics, thanks! Keeps me hopeful waiting for next spring.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Nah, our bad weather is short-termed & sporadic, so no hibernation necessary. Call me a fair weather pilot...

By the way, its foggy & 59 degrees f (what key is the little circle for 'degrees' anyway??) right now with the threat of rain. Its supposed to hit a high of 71 a little later & hopefully it wont rain. I'll probably take a short ride then.

Bear,

You are right about the sporadic nature of our bad weather here. Today was perfect for riding. Last week it was pretty cold (for San Antonio) lows in the upper 30s, but highs in the 60 to 70 range.

The code for the degree symbol is Alt+0176.

This week looks good except for Thanksgiving and the day after.

Keep riding,

Monte
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, i rode to work today (whopping 6 miles! Look out iron butters!). It was great on the way home. I had crap to do or I would've taken the LONG way home. I'm hoping to ride on friday.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Must be pretty dang nice being down in wide open Texas... I bet it's pretty dry too. Are you at high elevations? Any bugs out there? How about swamp or bush? Do you have to watch out for coyotes, rolling hay balls and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode