and the transformation has begun.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
and the transformation has begun..

after doing that big motorcycle vacation, there were certain things I needed from my bike (even if it was "designed" for it). Don't worry, I take the KLR out for the real rough stuff. Hopefully these modifications will make my quest http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d.php?p=154877 more possible.

so the transformation begins...

next installment will be the installment of the R1 shock, which I already have a better spring installed in... just gotta find someone to drill out those hardened bushings

*those are shinko 705s (130/80 front and 150/70 rear)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1548.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	15733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1560.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	15734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1561.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	15735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1565.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	15736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1568.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	15737  

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
...next installment will be the installment of the R1 shock, which I already have a better spring installed in... just gotta find someone to drill out those hardened bushings

*those are shinko 705s (130/80 front and 150/70 rear)
I got a machine shop to make me up a new one to replace the (removable) hardened one, and opened up the other (mild steel) bushing with my drill press stepping up 1/64" at a time. Took awhile, but works great.

Watch your Shinkos very CAREFULLY for tread separations!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 AM

Love the tires, how much did it change handling? And that luggage setup, mind sharing the details? I have the same exact 2011 V and am trying to turn it into the perfect touring bike. Heated grips and handguards are on the way. Now I was considering the Pelican cases or the Trax alu cases with quick release EVo sw-motech rack...those luggage aint cheap!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

yup...fasteddie... i have read all the reviews of the older shinkos on advrider.
The dude I rented the stroms from on my epic motorcycle vacation put shinkos on all his rentals and said he had read the old stories and had never experienced any issues. I talked to numerous other riders and they all said they read the reviews and haven't experienced any tread seperations either. *needless to say, I still check the treads everytime I get on the bike.

Kawa - I wish I could have gone with the 120/90 front but there were a lot of factors that didnt fair allow me to get it. (invaders posts saying it isn't designed for the 3 inch rim and it not being tubeless.) I feel like the thinner profile would have lead to a more similar control. Saying that, the control is fine...it does feel like it is easier to lean over in turns (good and "bad" thing). Although I have not tried to take a hard turn with it leaned over and grind any pegs with the shinkos...which I do not plan to. As far as highway behavior,, it is almost identical although I would say that the stock or pirelli scorpion trails seem to want to stay upright and straight more.
The turning is what I thought when putting a much "rounder" tire on the front. Turning the bars is slightly more difficult but not hindering. I am excited to air them down to 20/25 and go on some dirt/gravel roads and report how that works.

My luggage setup is the SW Motech side racks and the SW Motech rear rack with SeaHorse 720 cases (bout $40 a piece and IMHO they are just as good). Also, If price is a factor... I got both SW Motech luggage racks from people on this forum, used. If you keep an eye peeled on twisted throttles scratch and dent section, you can find good stuff too.

*i still have to fab a little riser for the front fender.

1997 KLR 650

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

BAMF - here's the link to a thread I did on raising it HALF as much as most of the other guys have (I run a 130/80 front also):
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...g+front+fender

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

oh yea, i forgot to mention how I routed the brake lines.

I originally thought that the cross over brake line from a friends old honda shadow (19 inch front wheel) would fit, but it still touched and wouldn't allow the fender in.

So I got on ebay and bought a brake line from some cruiser (40inchs) and decided to run two straight from the master cylinder. All this entailed was to take the longer bolt from the right hand brake (that holds both brake lines) and swap that with the bolt that originally went into the master cylinder. After bleeding the line and routing it down the fork leg, it works great.

I will note that the compound in the shinkos definitely is more prone to locking up. I think that might be because they are a harder rubber (which might account for their very long life).

1997 KLR 650

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

thought you guys would enjoy seeing me, rippin offroad on the versys!

No Video

1997 KLR 650

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 PM

What was with the Nazis?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 AM
MTS

Is that the neo-nazis group you passed, that does all the crazy stuff? Thats why I have 3 weapons at all time!

Great job on your bike and I love those type of back road! Just a blast!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 10-05-2012 at 06:47 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 AM

What exhaust do you have? Sounds great.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
What was with the Nazis?
WWII rein-actors I would guess.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM

It looks pretty cool, but I'm sure the the lack of a front fender will present a problem at some point. What's the plan?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versystole View Post
What was with the Nazis?
I believe they were "Wehrmacht" troops (who were not NECESSARILY Nazis).

Here's a Ural with US Army colors, and an MG42 (Wehrmacht).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07405.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	15887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07406.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	15888  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Hey BAMF, are you going to do something for a front fender? I love the fat tire look but it looks like it makes a mess right now.. I wanted those tires for my last bike, they were not yet released so I settled for Distanzias. Not bad but the front tire tread is nowhere near as deep as the Shinko's.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

at first I thought those dudes were just crazy old guys in the woods reinacting WWII...but it makes more sense that they might be filming something...either way it was weird lol

also check out the photos in the video at 00:27... I was able to remount the fender by using scrap metal in my garage...it was 3/16 plate steel and I drilled out the holes for the stock bolts to go into the stock holes and then drilled out new holes to reposition and raise the fender. I should post pics because i think it is an easy and cheap fix.

Stud muffin - I have shinko 705s on it now. I kinda wish I would have gone with the 120/90 but peoples doubts about it being reliable swayed me. I think a taller and thinner tire would dig into turns more and not float/drift.

zatx - I have the two brothers exhaust with the P1X "quiet" tip... it is still loud, louder then the arrow by far. But I like the deep bark.

1997 KLR 650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode