6Likes
  • 3 Post By kiwicraig
  • 1 Post By kiwi 41
  • 2 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
4 days around the East coast of New Zealand

I recently had a great ride through to Gisborne and around the east coast back home.From Opotki through the Waioeka gorge in good conditions hardly any traffic.140kms of 4th,5th and 6th gear sweepers tight stuff and hills,realygood stuff.Next day down Tiniroto rd to Wairoa,its alittle known road with 120kms of all 3rd 4th 5th gear work.Up and down the gears on the brakes fun.By the time i got to Wairoa my left foot was sore from changing gear.Back to Gisborne via Mahia where New Zealands space program lifts off from.Stopped at Morere hot springs for a relaxing soak in the hot pools.Next day left Gisborne heading north,stopped at Tolaga bay for coffee.From Gisborne to Opotiki is all great riding,300kms of twisty bends hills and hardly any long straights.The best bit is between Hicks bay and Waihau bay.It was raining heavily there so stopped for the night there.Next day riding in perfect conditions along great scenery,stopped to see White island which is an active volcano blowing heaps of steam.Great riding all the way home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I sooooo much want to spend 3-4 weeks wandering around Kiwi land.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Come over feb-march when the weather is better and the roads have less traffic.Bring your wet gear,it will rain.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
it's amazing to be able to travel virtually on the other side of the globe with street view and see the scenery.... and what a nice roads!!!
Thanks! I wish one day I'll be able to ride there....

one thing though: the cars are on the wrong side of the road

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Have not ridden much up the north but did one ride starting from Timaru to Wellington then Tokoroa then around the east coast on a same roads you would of road on. Stayed in a old gang club house not far from Ruatoria ( pretty rough neighborhood). There were 50 bikes on this ride and i was one of the few jap bikes and all the other jap bikes were cruisers. Was told to watch my maori and harley jokes for my own safety.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:05 PM

I'd probably end up with half a dozen tickets for riding on the "wrong" side of the road. I had trouble with that in England.

Sounds like a real nice ride.......kind of like the Texas Hill country.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Looks like you enjoyed your ride and thanks for sharing.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'd probably end up with half a dozen tickets for riding on the "wrong" side of the road. I had trouble with that in England.

Sounds like a real nice ride.......kind of like the Texas Hill country.
No Video
kiwicraig likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
When I rode in Thailand I kept repeating, under my breath, this MANTRA:

DRIVE LEFT, LOOK RIGHT.

Helped keep me safe!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would love to see some photos of a New Zealand bike trip. Definitely it's on the short list of places I want to visit.

I had rented a bike in Australia and did really well staying on their side of the road. Except once, took a break at a small park and as I hopped on the bike to leave the road was mostly empty so I didn't have any frame of reference and my mind must have been wandering. Anyway, wrong side of the road and I find myself heading straight toward a car. Fortunately he saw me and slowed way down and gave me a beep.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My son is working in Christchurch. Sent my wife over the Christmas holiday this year. Hopefully my back will be healed enough to make the next trip.

I've been watching videos of riding over there and my brain freaks out when the rider enters a roundabout, or turns at a side street.

The photos my wife took remind me a lot of the West coast of the US out in the country.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Garage
My sister and bro-in-law visited New Zealand and Australia, a 2-month tour. They had planned to spend a month in Australia after New Zealand. They were in Australia for a few weeks then went back to NZ. They preferred it there as NZ had such widely varying topography.

I got an email from my sister saying "sell everything, bring your motorcycle to NZ." Sent me links to some really gnarly mountain rides. Wow.
onewizard and kiwicraig like this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Almost any road except highway 1 is worth riding.Any back road north of Auckland,in Waikato are roads I have riden.Most roads in the South island I have driven [before i had a bike] and all are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode