Member Rides Show off your Versys...

5Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 2 Post By Arion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Four hours in the SUN, during winter in AZ!

Yesterday I headed E w/ another fellow that lives here, but he rides a scooter. One w/ THREE wheels - a Piaggio. He was OK w/ some easy dirt, so after gassing his 'scoot'

we headed S on AZ 79, then E on the Florence/Kelvin Hwy. First stop was near a "crowned saguaro"

then a few miles E there's an area w/ many large boulders.

We continued E, then took this pic w/ the Ray Mine in the distance (showing ahead of the 'scooter' windshield).

There's a parking area for the "ARIZONA TRAIL" that joins Utah to Mexico via AZ just beside the F/K Hwy.

The bridge I showed being built in an earlier ride-report is coming along - shouldn't be too long now....

Then we continued to Winkelman on AZ 177, to NE towards Globe on AZ 77. We saw several HUGE groups of riders coming SW on 77, MOSTLY H-Ds, but there was ONE Versys, another '08.

We were riding in first gear, VERY SLOW, because of a heavy truck going up the hill, so turned around to head back towards Winkelman,

then via 177 past the F/K Hwy to Superior where we stopped for lunch at a "SUPERIOR" Mexican restaurant, then back to home. The ride took 4 hrs 41 mins to cover 184 miles, the temp around 80F.... Wonder what the 'poor folk' were doing...?

weljo2001 and steve1503 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:46 PM

The "poor folks" were freezing their butt's off waiting for you to post pics of another AZ ride
onewizard likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM

As always, great photos Eddie. I hope it's not heresy but I have a soft spot for the Piaggio MP3. It's a hoot to ride and it can comfortably lean at spectacular angles without inducing Force Ten rider pucker. Can't say I've ever ridden one off road, but on road it's pretty darned good.

I read somewhere recently about two "senior"gentlemen who rode cross country on a pair of MP3s and had a great time. Their story gives credence to the proposition a gigantic engine and a gazillion horsepower aren't essential parts of enjoyable touring. It's a shame that there seems to be a stigma about riding a "scooter." There are a number of very capable ones available, however, the down side is they usually cost a lot more than an equivalent motorcycle. Oops, I think it's time to step down from the soap box. Seems I may have gotten a little carried away, but I still like the MP3. And, just like a real motorcycle you can still fall over!

I presume also that the Versys among the huge flock of mostly Harleys was there to add class to group.
quexpress and Turk like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 02-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
The "poor folks" were freezing their butt's off waiting for you to post pics of another AZ ride
I HOPE that I spell this correctly....

NYAH, NYAH, na nyah, nyah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
As always, great photos Eddie....
Thank you!

Quote:
...I hope it's not heresy but I have a soft spot for the Piaggio MP3. It's a hoot to ride and it can comfortably lean at spectacular angles without inducing Force Ten rider pucker. Can't say I've ever ridden one off road, but on road it's pretty darned good....
I haven't ridden it (YET), but it took me quite awhile to get over seeing the two front wheels looking as if he was dragging BOTH his feet....

Quote:
...I presume also that the Versys among the huge flock of mostly Harleys was there to add class to group.
He was "following", riding the END of the line.... MAYBE his job was to pick-up whatever FELL OFF...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I HOPE that I spell this correctly....

NYAH, NYAH, na nyah, nyah!

Thank you!

I haven't ridden it (YET), but it took me quite awhile to get over seeing the two front wheels looking as if he was dragging BOTH his feet....

He was "following", riding the END of the line.... MAYBE his job was to pick-up whatever FELL OFF...?

If that's the case - and it's pretty likely given what he was following - I hope he copious onboard storage.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Seems I remember saddle-bags and a top-box....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode