Ridin' the foothills... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Talking Ridin' the foothills...

It seems to have been a trying summer for me, and I have done less riding than ever. My little grandson, has been having some health problems, and the stress on the family has been tremendous. This day seemed perfect to simply don my moto-gear and get a ride to shake out the cobwebs, that have been forming.

Map link of my route.

I live in Sacramento, which is right near the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range and it's some of the most amazing riding ever. I love the fact that after schlugging through random traffic, I can easily disappear on some back roads.

I grabbed a couple of shots from google just to show you Hwy 49.

Note all the fun tar snakes!!

Winding upward toward the clouds, my first stop was Stumpy Meadows, which is an awesome place to regroup before riding one of the best roads in the area, Wentworth Springs road.

My helmet always leaves an impression.

It wouldn't be real unless I proved i was there.

Well loved sign.

Sorry no photos of Wentworth Springs or Icehouse Road. I was too busy shaking out the cobwebs! After an awesome ride down to Hwy 50, i decided I was still not yet ready to take on civilization, so I cut off at Pollock Pines and went towards the Amador Wine country finding a great little out of the way road, Starks Grade.

Someone mentioned to me that they noticed cupping on my front tire. Enlighten me here, I thought cupping was normal wear, but they said i am on my front brake. Well, I admit to riding the twisties with a bit of zest and using my front brakes generously. Is this a bad thang?? The only thing i see on my front tire is a nice set of chicken strips!

Things are definitely dry this time of year, but I love the old barns of working farms and ranches.

Especially with the apocalypse glow.

By the time I dropped back into valley, the temps were around what one would expect in the pits of hell. 102+

But I've a very fortunate girl and have this awaiting me, in my backyard!

My quick 175 mile loop did wonders for cleaning out the recesses of my cluttered mind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by demenshea; 09-04-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Cool pictures and report! I too take pictures of old barns and buildings on my rides...the rougher and more dilapidated the better. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes for your grandson's speedy recovery from those health problems.

Bill -- 2012 Versys

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Garage
Great ride report. Thanks for sharing. This is the sort of thing I live on through the Winter..

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

guys, it's amazing the great riding that's right outside my door!!

Also, thanks for the positive energy toward my grandboy. He needs all he can get. He has a bone marrow disease that's both rare and complicated. *sigh* Children should never be ill.

I plan on getting out again this week. It's a great attitude adjustment, and focus renderer.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Nice photos, Prayer on the way for your grandson and when things happen to kids its not fair.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 09-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Garage
Nice country! Use your brakes as you wish, don't worry
about what "They" say.

Ride while you can
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Prayers and good vibes for your grandson, though you don't look old enough to have a grandchild, IMHO. He must help keep you young, not to mention the Versys as well. Enjoy shaking out the cobwebs.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Excellent pictures and a very nice bike!

Sorry to hear about your Grandson and your right Children should never be ill. Nothing puts things into perspective like a walk round a children's ward in a hospital. Best wishes.

Last edited by Sprockutt; 09-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
Nice country! Use your brakes as you wish, don't worry
about what "They" say.
YEA!!! I was always under the impression that twisties was the perfect place to use engine braking and front brakes if needed. I was beginning to question my skills!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Prayers and good vibes for your grandson, though you don't look old enough to have a grandchild, IMHO. He must help keep you young, not to mention the Versys as well. Enjoy shaking out the cobwebs.
Thanks for the prayers/energy for Eli and the compliment on my youthful unaltered appearance. Well, unaltered but for hair dye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprockutt View Post
Excellent pictures and a very nice bike!

Sorry to hear about your Grandson and your right Children should never be ill. Nothing puts things into perspective like a walk round a children's ward in a hospital. Best wishes.
Thanks, the Versys and I are finally bonding. It's quite different than my 1250 Bandit, but I am growing quite fond of its performance.

I totally agree...it sucks when kids are ill. He hurts, is grouchy and doesn't understand it all. He just wants to go out and climb trees, which he can't do right now along with nearly all activity. It's darned intense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode