Member Rides Show off your Versys...

6Likes
  • 4 Post By hawkerjet
  • 1 Post By CuddyBuddy
  • 1 Post By CuddyBuddy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Cali Winter Days

Can't stand the politics and taxes but ya gotta luv Communist California winter weather.

Took the boss to the Central Coast Thursday and Friday. Temps at the beach were about 72 and 5 miles inland 80 degrees. That's right 80 degrees in December.

Then today me and Mark took a ride to Shaver lake, elevation 5200 feet, where the temp was a comfortable 63 degrees. The warm temps at the coast are not unusual for December but 63 at Shaver is very unusual. Should be 5 feet of snow by now with temps in the teens.

We swapped bikes for the trip down the hill. I rode his Triumph Tiger and he rode my V-650. The Tiger is a bit of a hog compared to the Versys as expected, but it does have that really nice 3 cylinder motor with a great exhaust sound.

Once back on my Versys I was again reminded just how sweet the little V-650 really is. It just keeps racking up the miles while creating lots of smiles.

Happy new year fellas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5978 resized.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	140081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5977.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	140089  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Must be the heat from all those terrible wild fires drifting north. Eighty degrees in December is nice. In San Antonio we're looking at low temps over the next few days in the 20s. Most people around here will freeze just thinking about such "low" temps!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Here in southern Ms. we're looking at lows in the teens every night for at least the next week.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Must be the heat from all those terrible wild fires drifting north. Eighty degrees in December is nice. In San Antonio we're looking at low temps over the next few days in the 20s. Most people around here will freeze just thinking about such "low" temps!
Hey Arion - my wife and I are doing a month-long drive through the Southern states in January. We'll be in San Antonio the third week of January. Any recommendations for places to see, or restaurants to visit?

Paul
2012 Kawasaki Versys 1000
2012 Honda Gold Wing 1800
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Forecast highs for here in Florence, go from 70F today to 77F Friday, and we had 80F last week twice.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Forecast highs for here in Florence, go from 70F today to 77F Friday, and we had 80F last week twice.

-
Man it is really hard to beat Zona for spectacular winter weather.

But summers are so brutal they more than make up for it.

You are doing it right Freddie, you O'l snow bird...Lol.

Maple leaf's in the summer and the star sunset for winter.

Cheers mate and happy new year.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy View Post
Hey Arion - my wife and I are doing a month-long drive through the Southern states in January. We'll be in San Antonio the third week of January. Any recommendations for places to see, or restaurants to visit?
Well, this could be a simple answer but it isn't really because it depends on what you're interested in. Downtown, the River Walk is usually a "don't miss" place to visit and almost any restaurant on the river can be a good choice, again, depending on what you feel like indulging in. If you like Tex-Mex, Casa Rio is one of the oldest restaurants on the River Walk. I remembering taking the bus downtown in the 50s to eat there. It's still going strong!

The Institute of Texan Cultures in the Hemisfare grounds is also quite interesting, as is Hemisfare Tower at the top of which there's a revolving restaurant much like the Space Needle in Seattle. The Alamo is interesting but it can also be a disappointment. The Alamo is akin to a holy shrine for some Texans although it can be crowded which makes the experience less than ideal because it's a small building. It's right downtown and across the Alamo Plaza are typically touristy places like a wax museum, etc.

The Spanish Mission Trail south of the city is also quite interesting (the northern most mission is the Alamo). Our favorite is Mission San Jose which has undergone restoration since I first visited and the interior of the chapel is rather spectacular.

If you have time a drive some 70 miles northeast of San Antonio to the old German town of Fredericksburg is worth while. Good German beer, bakeries, and restaurants. It's also the site of the Admiral Chester Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War which is fascinating. If you go, plan on at least three hours to view all it has to offer. The first time I visited many years ago it was just the old Nimitz Hotel that housed the museum. Now it's almost an entire city block not including the annex a few blocks away.

No doubt there are other places worthy of mention but at the moment these are my suggestions. Enjoy your trip and best wishes for safe and enjoyable travel.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 12-31-2017 at 08:24 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Garage
Much appreciated Arion. Thanks!

Paul
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Much appreciated Arion. Thanks!
De nada.

Arion

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Garage
Quote:

Plenty of good places to eat all through Texas...But for sure you have to try the Tex-Mex (chicken enchiladas with sour cream is a good choice). Also the Bar-B-Que and A Chicken Fried Steak.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Plenty of good places to eat all through Texas...But for sure you have to try the Tex-Mex (chicken enchiladas with sour cream is a good choice). Also the Bar-B-Que and A Chicken Fried Steak.....
Man oh man Weljo - there goes my New Year's resolution.
weljo2001 likes this.

Paul
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Man oh man Weljo - there goes my New Year's resolution.

Ah,You'll have the rest of the year to get back on track..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Well, this could be a simple answer but it isn't really because it depends on what you're interested in. Downtown, the River Walk is usually a "don't miss" place to visit and almost any restaurant on the river can be a good choice, again, depending on what you feel like indulging in. If you like Tex-Mex, Casa Rio is one of the oldest restaurants on the River Walk. I remembering taking the bus downtown in the 50s to eat there. It's still going strong!

The Institute of Texan Cultures in the Hemisfare grounds is also quite interesting, as is Hemisfare Tower at the top of which there's a revolving restaurant much like the Space Needle in Seattle. The Alamo is interesting but it can also be a disappointment. The Alamo is akin to a holy shrine for some Texans although it can be crowded which makes the experience less than ideal because it's a small building. It's right downtown and across the Alamo Plaza are typically touristy places like a wax museum, etc.

The Spanish Mission Trail south of the city is also quite interesting (the northern most mission is the Alamo). Our favorite is Mission San Jose which has undergone restoration since I first visited and the interior of the chapel is rather spectacular.

If you have time a drive some 70 miles northeast of San Antonio to the old German town of Fredericksburg is worth while. Good German beer, bakeries, and restaurants. It's also the site of the Admiral Chester Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War which is fascinating. If you go, plan on at least three hours to view all it has to offer. The first time I visited many years ago it was just the old Nimitz Hotel that housed the museum. Now it's almost an entire city block not including the annex a few blocks away.

No doubt there are other places worthy of mention but at the moment these are my suggestions. Enjoy your trip and best wishes for safe and enjoyable travel.
Arion - we're loving San Antonio. Great city! Took your advice and ate at Casa Rio. Mmmm good! Walked the riverwalk, visited the missions, spent time at the Alamo, enjoyed an amazing laser light show displayed on San Fernando Cathedral, and had a great lunch at La Magarita in Market Square. Took a bus tour and a riverwalk boat tour. Friendly people, clean city - great place! Very enjoyable.

Paul
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Ah,You'll have the rest of the year to get back on track..
Might take more than a year to get back on track. Been eating (and drinking) our way through Texas. Totally enjoying everything about this state. Great food, wonderful people, enjoyable temps. In fact, we enjoyed our stay at South Padre Island so much we're thinking of renting a condo next January. And future Januarys.
weljo2001 likes this.

Paul
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Arion - we're loving San Antonio. Great city! Took your advice and ate at Casa Rio. Mmmm good! Walked the riverwalk, visited the missions, spent time at the Alamo, enjoyed an amazing laser light show displayed on San Fernando Cathedral, and had a great lunch at La Magarita in Market Square. Took a bus tour and a riverwalk boat tour. Friendly people, clean city - great place! Very enjoyable.

Glad you enjoyed your time in S. A. Next time you pass through perhaps you would enjoy wandering through the Texas Hill Country - towns like Comfort, Wimberly, Kerrville, Fredericksburg are all interesting in their own right. And, in the vicinity of the village of Vanderpool is the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. It's worthy of visiting but not as much as before the café closed. They were known for great burgers - and Australian meat pies, which are hard to come by in Texas.

wherever you go, safe and enjoyable journeys.

Arion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode