had a winter AZ ride, CHILLY! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

3Likes
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

had a winter AZ ride, CHILLY!

I decided it was about time for a longer ride yesterday (FIRST day of winter), so I planned to start w/ the Florence/Kelvin Hwy, then transition onto pavement via Winkleman and Globe (fairly HIGH above sea-level).

I dressed 'warmly' (I thought... my wife had asked IF I was going to wear the heated jacket liner, but I said NO...), so I had my Kilimanjaro jacket c/w its zip-in liner, cool-weather leather gloves ON (but at least I had my COLD-weather gloves w/ liners in my saddle-bag), so away I went.

By a few miles into the Florence/Kelvin Hwy I began questioning my "planning", then stopped for this pic (...AND to get those HEAVY-DUTY gloves out of my saddle-bag, and ON!).

As you can see from the pics - NOT a cloud in the sky - BUT it was NOT warm as I rode E,

and I began questioning my lack of 12v heated-gear. I stopped for this pic

about 10 miles from the pavement, then changed my plans to stay OUT of the high-country, instead planning to TRY to find the Happy Camp 'town-site' from the 1800's. I stopped by this old settler's cabin

enroute to Superior (where the Happy Camp road starts) thru this pass.

It stayed chilly, so I re-checked my maps in Superior, then took the Silver King Mine ROCKY dirt-road N, transitioned to the Happy Camp Road (MORE ROCKY dirt!), till I turned N on 'backroad 605' where I soon started doubting the sanity of being out here, alone , so I stopped for this pic,

got BIG RED turned around w/out dropping it ( - ), then back S away from this gnarly terrain!

As I got back to the Happy Camp Road I stopped for a long line of side-by-side ATVs, then when the dust had settled I headed out, W then S and onto AZ60, to AZ79, home 45 minutes later after riding 97 miles.

It was VERY nice getting into the heat of my house.... BTW - today is even COLDER (FIRST hard-freeze here so far this season!), and I AIN'T riding today!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065copy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	139289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	139297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067copy.jpg
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	139305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	139313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069copy.jpg
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	139321  

Name:	IMG_0071copy.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	139329  
weljo2001, AlaskaJeff and SteveJ like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:59 PM

We went out yesterday, but headed south of Tucson for warmth. I-10 to Hwy 83 to Sonoita and then Patagonia. Lunch at the Velvet Elvis. Almost all the pasta dishes were like $12 and up, so I had the Timido - I guess it was because I was too timid to eat a big dish of pasta, or too timid to pay that much money. It was a calzone filled with cream cheese and motzarella (sp?) cheese topped with a great marinara sauce. It was so YUMMY, probably enough calories to last me through Christmas Day. Then on to a ghost town named Harshaw. You would be proud Eddie, I actually rode on fairly rough two track road (that is me with the white helmet). Then back out, a tour of Patagonia Lake, and on home via I-19. A little cool to start at 10 a.m. (wore my battery heated gloves), but perfect the rest of the day. The ghost town put us pretty close to Mexico, hence the sign we encountered on the dirt road. Below freezing over night here, but now warm enough for a dog walk a short time ago. Next outing is next week, a group ride to Eloy to watch the international sky diving jump week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0381.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	139337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0383.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	139345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0384.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	139353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8573.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	139361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8576.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	139369  

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Chuck - does this mean that you're willing to meet for a burger at the "Riverbottom Grill" sometime in January, then ride the Florence/ Kelvin w/ me...? It's NOT a gnarly road, but pretty sure you'd enjoy it, now that you've ridden some two-track (the F/K is a wide, pretty smooth road)!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Forgot to add, our ride was 210 miles on Wednesday. Lunch at the Riverbottom Saloon (I know they say Grill now, but I refuse to change)--Definitely. The FK road, I will see if my riding buddies will ride with us so I have some company for the trip up and back. Ron has the BMW off road model (1200 GS??) and the other a V-Strom 1000). Keep in touch and have a Merry Christmas Mr. and Mrs. Fasteddie!!

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:04 PM

The riding is pretty much done here for the for-see-able future.........got about 6" of white stuff and snowing again. Temps just barely into the double digits (11 degrees F.).

I will have to settle for checking out your snow-less ride pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode