• 5 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By KnobbyGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Beautiful Fall Day Ride

Rain is coming tomorrow and with it much cooler temps. Spent the last couple of days on the central coast where yesterday the high was 85 degrees right at the waters edge...that's right 85.

Back in Fresno and did 140 miles today up in the Sierra's. You could not script a better day for riding. Temps in the upper 70's, abundant sunshine and blue skies along with the colors of fall and light traffic.

Included a couple of pics so those of you who have already winterized and put away the bike can ride vicariously once more this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5812.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	137665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	137673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5753.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	137681  

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
Rain is coming tomorrow and with it much cooler temps. Spent the last couple of days on the central coast where yesterday the high was 85 degrees right at the waters edge...that's right 85.

Back in Fresno and did 140 miles today up in the Sierra's. You could not script a better day for riding. Temps in the upper 70's, abundant sunshine and blue skies along with the colors of fall and light traffic.

Included a couple of pics so those of you who have already winterized and put away the bike can ride vicariously once more this year.
Don't want to sound desperate but I was out a couple days ago, 44'F and gale force cross winds, saw some snow drifts in the northern part of my ride, total distance 350 KM, my ride before was 950 KM in 1 day, I was more tired from the 350 KM ride due to fighting the cross winds all day, than the 950 KM ride. So if we had upper 70 weather I may need to acclimatize to that
StormRider and hawkerjet like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 AM

It's also been beautiful up here outside Sacramento too but the rain is expected tomorrow, so I took a quick trip before the change. Lot's of fall colors, and people out hiking along the American River. Took a few shots near the confluence of the North and South forks of the American River. The shot from the road up to Forest Hill gives a good view of the river winding along. The Tall bridge you see in one picture is the Forest Hill bridge, 730 feet above the river. The bridge can be seen in the beginning of the 2002 film XXX in which Vin Diesel's character Xander Cage is seen driving a stolen red Chevrolet Corvette off of it, then jumping from the car mid-flight and parachuting to his accomplices at the bottom of the American River Canyon. It feel real spooky driving over that bridge on my bike!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	137689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	137697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	137705  

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Wow cool stuff Bob. Thanks for the movie history. Don't think I ever saw that movie but sounds exciting.

Kinda James Bond like.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 AM

Supposed to be near 70* here today so I'm going out for a ride.................not sure where to or for how long but I will ride.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
It was 35F on my weekend fall ride in Ohio....at least we had sun! Sierra's look beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4854 2lr.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	137721  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
It was 35F on my weekend fall ride in Ohio....at least we had sun! Sierra's look beautiful.
35 degrees...yikes would kill the average man.

When temps get much below 50 this old guy is done.

Cheers.
StormRider likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Mid to upper 60's yesterday.........130 miles and through Custer State Park. All kinds of critters out and on or near the road. Buffalo, deer, antelope and the ever present prairie dogs. Had to weave my way through a herd of about 50 buffalo.........big bulls, cows and calves. I could have reached out and touched them as I passed.
Buffalo_Bob and StormRider like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Mid to upper 60's yesterday.........130 miles and through Custer State Park. All kinds of critters out and on or near the road. Buffalo, deer, antelope and the ever present prairie dogs. Had to weave my way through a herd of about 50 buffalo.........big bulls, cows and calves. I could have reached out and touched them as I passed.
Very cool! Need a video camera on your bike!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM

Garage
Mid 50's and all sun today in Mid Ohio. Here's the sunset from Mt Jeez right down the road from Malabar Farm. Supposed to be a little warmer and all sun tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	217MtJeezVersys.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	137745  
StormRider likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Very cool! Need a video camera on your bike!
It would have made an excellent video..................
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I suggest that it's not a good idea to ride thru a herd of buffalo, as they've been known to charge vehicles (which is GONNA HURT!).

I wish I could have taken pics when my buddy and I had a herd of them go into a stampede across the road (about 20 yards ahead of us) on the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on the 29th October.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I suggest that it's not a good idea to ride thru a herd of buffalo, as they've been known to charge vehicles (which is GONNA HURT!).

I wish I could have taken pics when my buddy and I had a herd of them go into a stampede across the road (about 20 yards ahead of us) on the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on the 29th October.
Yeah, that's one of those "proceed at your own risk" sort of things. I wasn't about to try to spook them into leaving the road however. They didn't seem to mind the odd looking green, quiet thing that passed among them. One calf got a little skittish but that was it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Garage
Pittsburgh Pa checking in. 65*, clear and sunny. Not many of these left before the darker colder winter sets in. A beautiful day to ride a motorcycle, and that's exactly what I did. Nothing dramatic, just a usual loop of twisty, hilly, lightly traveled roads right here in northern suburbs, skirting the edge between developed and undeveloped land. Will see what tomorrow brings in weather. UPS is supposed to bring my winter jacket
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

When I went through there in '12 on the Versys the buffalo were with calf. When the cars started putting pressure on them to move out of the way was my cue to get out of there.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Garage
Yesterday was 64 degrees in middle Tennessee and it was a cold ride on the FZ-07. I am spoiled with heated grips on the Harleys. Think I will get some Oxfords for Christmas.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Yesterday was 64 degrees in middle Tennessee and it was a cold ride on the FZ-07. I am spoiled with heated grips on the Harleys. Think I will get some Oxfords for Christmas.
Sounds like you have a garage full of bikes. FZ07 is a cool bike. I had a 14 FZ09 and it too was a neat little pocket rocket.

When I first "retired" back in 2015 I had a stable of 3. FZ09, Connie 14, and a WR450 dirt machine.

Now being in the poor farm just have the 15 Versys 650.

With just one to choose from it makes it real easy when it's time to ride. Plus it makes my garage seem really spacious.

Cookin Wid Gas

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like you have a garage full of bikes. FZ07 is a cool bike. I had a 14 FZ09 and it too was a neat little pocket rocket.

When I first "retired" back in 2015 I had a stable of 3. FZ09, Connie 14, and a WR450 dirt machine.

Now being in the poor farm just have the 15 Versys 650.

With just one to choose from it makes it real easy when it's time to ride. Plus it makes my garage seem really spacious.
I've been running 6 to 8 bikes for several years now. I keep wracking my brain on if I had to get down to two bikes, what would they be. Too hard to decide.

Here are my Kawasakis in 2010

My Kawasakis plus Honda in 2012

My Kawasakis plus Moto Guzzi in 2014

My current stable of bikes

There are a few that came and went in between the photos like the 2014 Triumph Trophy SE that I only had for a year and 10,000 miles.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Looks like you replaced your Versys with the FZ07?

Cookin Wid Gas

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looks like you replaced your Versys with the FZ07?

Yes. During the 30,000 miles I owned the Versys I would tell people that if I could only keep one out of the stable of bikes I had alongside it, it would be the Versys. Then I started taking more work trips in the winter and hauling my 250 in the back of the truck just wasn't working out since it barely does a true 65 MPH. The Versys was too tall and killed fuel economy and required 3 ramps to load and unload safely. I started on the hunt for a 400 lb or less bike that could do a true 80 mph and short in stature. I settled on the FZ-07.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode