Getting the touring bug....... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Getting the touring bug.......

I had a buddy over for ribs Saturday and he was telling about his friend's 28 year-old son who just finished a +8,000 mile trip in 40 days on his Triumph Scrambler. He's about to start law school and wanted to explore the country before school started. After reading his daily blog and seeing the pictures, I've been thinking about this non-stop.

I'm thinking of a 10-15 day trip from Atlanta up to Maine, Crossing thru Vermont to western, NY where I have a place in Chautauqua (may rest a few days) and over to Chicago and back down thru Tennessee.....not sure of the exact route or when I'll do it however I'm looking at different routes now. Google maps has the basic route right around 3,000 miles. No oil changes or bike maintenance should be required.

I may pick up Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives book and pick out cool places to eat along the way and base my route off the eateries in the book.

I'm excited about planning this trip, I hope I can make it happen one day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Do it!!

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM

I have taken a trip last 4 years with my sons, my oldest and I have '08 Concours14 and I let my youngest ride my Honda ST1300, We have gone to Las Vegas, Colorado, Virginia and just got back from California (Yosemite) last month. The only problem with our trips is we cram them into one week. The only site seeing we are getting is at 70-80mph to maintain our hectic pace of 450-600 miles a day. Very little Interstates are involved. We do get way off the beaten path sometimes which is nice. We reserve Motels all along the way because it would be way to much work to camp each evening. We have already planned next years for Montana.

Doing 3000 in a 10-15 days sounds like a more enjoyable pace.

We are also Diner, Drive-Ins and Dive fans and have hit at least one on each of our trips.

Try to do it if you can, it can be a lot of fun.

-- Larry --
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2008 Yamaha Zuma
2004 Honda ST1300

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Do it!!!
I did a 12 day 4200 mile trip last year and loved every second of it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Like others say just do it as you only live once, in our summer next jan have arranged a trip around south island, NZ and we will over 8 days do around 3500km or 2200 miles. One friend of a friend is flying in from Australia and hiring a Triumph sprint to ride with us.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST/SV View Post
We reserve Motels all along the way because it would be way to much work to camp each evening.
I plan on staying in Hotels as well. I'm not much of a camper.....in fact, my wife calls Holiday Inns camping. Since she won't be with me. I imagine I'll be staying at a lot of Holiday Inns, Motel 6's and Days Inns, which is fine by me!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quick question for those who have done this before, how do you map out your route to maximize two-lane highway, small town, back road scenery vs Interstate travel? I'm familiar with GA, TN, NC, and western NY however when it comes to the rest of the trip I'm clueless.......do you just get an old fashioned paper map and figure it out?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM

DO IT.

Another tip is to google the scenic byways for the states you'll be traveling in.

I abhor interstate, that's pretty much the only way I used to travel. Now I look for little tiny roads on google maps (dirt is great too), aiming for BLM land, anything green, anything blue and small towns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR-7 - hers
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Had a place in Chautauqua for 17 years. The "Star Cottage" on the corner of Janes and Warren. Lots of good memories.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM

If you do this trip and are heading through Ma. let me know if I can I will ride with you a bit, maybe get a bite to eat and give you a little tour around.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Yes... Do it! I just did a solo 5678 miler from Florida to Montana and back... No interstates. Nine nights camping, 4 nights motel, 5 nights friends homes. Best time of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Quick question for those who have done this before, how do you map out your route to maximize two-lane highway, small town, back road scenery vs Interstate travel? I'm familiar with GA, TN, NC, and western NY however when it comes to the rest of the trip I'm clueless.......do you just get an old fashioned paper map and figure it out?
I mapped 17 days of travel using Google maps... all secondary roads and small towns. I then converted my 17 Google routes to GPX files and uploaded them to my Zumo 660. Then, each morning I called up that day's route and just followed the magenta line to the end of that day's route... Worked well for me... Although at times I found out that I'd really routed myself through some truly desolate areas of Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma that made me wonder what I was thinking...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 08-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Had a place in Chautauqua for 17 years. The "Star Cottage" on the corner of Janes and Warren. Lots of good memories.
We use to rent a house on Jane's. I'm on the corner of Oak and North Lake Drive. My wife has spent time up there 45 of her 47 years. My wife's grandmother started going to CI in the early 1900's. Her mother's side of the family lived in Pittsburgh. We've been married for almost 20 years, god I'm getting old.........and I've been up there every year but two since then. We ended up buying her Aunt and Uncle's house about 7 years ago. I just got back last week and will be going back after the season in September. I think I like it better out of season, a little more quite!

Last edited by rlj; 08-06-2012 at 07:53 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Yes... Do it! I just did a solo 5678 mile solo from Florida to Montana and back. Nine nights camping, 5 nights motel, 5 nights friends homes. Best time of my life.
I read your posts earlier. Sounds like a good trip. And thanks for your service!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I read your posts earlier. Sounds like a good trip. And thanks for your service!
Yeah... I'm still working on that ride report as time permits.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Just do it and wish you well...

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM

Lots of fantastic National Park sites to check out along the way, see: http://www.nps.gov . Buy an annual pass and you're good. Wait until right after Labor Day and there won't be any crowds. Have a great trip!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm 55 years old and did a week long ride this year that was right about 3500 miles. I was concerned that I was not up to that kind of a ride, but I really did better than I thought. I did have the advantage that I was with a group of 4 other riders, and they had done this trip several times. I am so glad that I did the trip and am really looking forward to next years trip. Just for fun, go to Motorcycleroads.com and look over the states that you plan on riding thru. I think it will give you a good start on planning. Good luck.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I used Google Maps in terrain mode to look for twisty roads with elevation changes, usually a good sign. Street View can give you an idea what the quality of the road looks like (if you want to avoid gravel). Be aware that Google is very optimistic as what to constitutes a road so best to check small back roads on other maps, Bing / MapQuest etc, to make sure they actually exist.

Google "best motorcycle roads" in the areas you are looking at. Usually somebody has posted great rides online.

Are there motorcycle specific maps available? Butler Maps has just that for the Rocky Mtn area and that helped me a lot.

Having a paper map along is always good as sometimes that magenta Garmin line takes you places you know hadn't planned on going (though that detour turned out to be the highlight of my trip).

Good luck!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Having a paper map along is always good as sometimes that magenta Garmin line takes you places you know hadn't planned on going (though that detour turned out to be the highlight of my trip).

Good luck!
Brings to mind that older couple in Nevada last winter, who followed that magenta line in their mini-van till they got stuck. Many weeks later she was found alive but LIGHTER, and I don't believe they've found his remains yet.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:41 PM

Watch out for the touring bug.

Google Cormorant Island. I'm there with my wife and bike. Been bitten and now do a big trip each year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode