Using BC ferry - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Using BC ferry

I am taking the V on a trip to Victoria and will be taking a BC Ferry from Vancouver.

Have any of you guys done this? Just wondering the procedure on the Ferry; are the bikes strapped down somehow? Do you have to bring your own straps?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM

I will be on the Port Angelas - Victoria ferry next week. Not sure that is a BC one though.

Last summer we were on one of the Alaska state ferries and we had to strap them down. They had some ropes that I wouldn't trust. We brought our own straps and it looked like most everybody else did also. Two straps will do it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks kenr74,

That business with the straps is just what I was wondering...I will bring some.

BTW the Port Angelis to Victoria ferry is called the Black Ball ferry. It is not a BC ferry but American.

Brian

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Bikes on the BC Ferries aren't strapped down. It isn't necessary as it isn't rough water. The have a bunch of the stepped wooden blocks to wedge under the bike opposite the stand side.
The only time there may be any chance of possible fall over would be if they make a bit of a hard landing when docking but everyone is back down to the bikes by that time anyways.
The part I love is that motorcycles are first on/first off with BC Ferries, no matter when you get there, bikes go to the front of the line.

2013 Versys1000
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM

FYI-Yea, I am on Vancouver Island and took my KLR across a couple times with no troubles. No straps required or anywhere to strap down too. I does get pretty choppy if there is a good wind blowing, but normally smooth. I think I paid about $41 (cdn) for bike and rider.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM

The bikes ARE tied down for the Prince Rupert-Port Hardy ferry (I was on it last weekend), but the tie downs are supplied (they go over the seat), as are chocks.

For inland Puget Sound WA State ferries tie downs are not required.

The Alaska Marine ferry tie downs are required, and must be supplied (there are some on the ferry, but not many).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I will be on the Port Angelas - Victoria ferry next week. Not sure that is a BC one though.

Last summer we were on one of the Alaska state ferries and we had to strap them down. They had some ropes that I wouldn't trust. We brought our own straps and it looked like most everybody else did also. Two straps will do it.
This ferry had ropes and blocks to keep the bike in place.

Just did a BC ferry and they just had blocks. No problems but if I had a bungee cord I would have used it on the front brake lever.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
...Just did a BC ferry and they just had blocks. No problems but if I had a bungee cord I would have used it on the front brake lever.
In a 'pinch' you can use the velcro tab on one of your gloves to hold the front brake ON.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode