• 1 Post By CJRuffner
  • 1 Post By hurricanebob
  • 1 Post By Kyle E
  • 3 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My first Bike!

After doing tons of research on motorcycles, and relearning how to ride.
Bought this little red guy yesterday!!

2011 650.
Previous owner installed aftermarket brake lines, frame sliders, tank protector, battery tender connection, and it has the factory hard (givi monkey) cases. And promptly let it sit in his garage for 6 years before selling it to a dealer. It only had 2500 miles on it when I picked it up yesterday. Already have added 100 to that.

Talk about a nervous ride home! Other than the TU250 at the MSF course last week, I haven't been on a bike in 20 or so years, and that was all dirt on a little 125. I've literally never ridden on pavement before last night for the ride home. Heck I haven't driven a manual transmission car in probably 30 years.
WOW the power this thing has, WOW how bad I suck at 90deg corners at stoplights!! I managed to make it home without embarrassing myself too much. I did stall once but was rolling so was able to cover it.

Few more miles under the belt today, and doing much much better. Think I have the clutch control figured out and am now taking corners "okay" or at least not a danger to the guy 5 lanes over anymore hah!

Had to do a panic stop today when a car came out of a shopping center not seeing me. Kept my cool, was too hard on the rear brake, and the rear got a tiny bit out of shape. But didn't even stall. So guess it is coming back to me.

Sorry for rambling. Just very excited about this whole thing. Ive had a smile on my face the entire time I've been riding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vs1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	133113   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	133121  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
After doing tons of research on motorcycles, and relearning how to ride.

Bought this little red guy yesterday!!

2011 650.

Previous owner installed aftermarket brake lines, frame sliders, tank protector, battery tender connection, and it has the factory hard (givi monkey) cases. And promptly let it sit in his garage for 6 years before selling it to a dealer. It only had 2500 miles on it when I picked it up yesterday. Already have added 100 to that.

Talk about a nervous ride home! Other than the TU250 at the MSF course last week, I haven't been on a bike in 20 or so years, and that was all dirt on a little 125. I've literally never ridden on pavement before last night for the ride home. Heck I haven't driven a manual transmission car in probably 30 years.

WOW the power this thing has, WOW how bad I suck at 90deg corners at stoplights!! I managed to make it home without embarrassing myself too much. I did stall once but was rolling so was able to cover it.

Few more miles under the belt today, and doing much much better. Think I have the clutch control figured out and am now taking corners "okay" or at least not a danger to the guy 5 lanes over anymore hah!

Had to do a panic stop today when a car came out of a shopping center not seeing me. Kept my cool, was too hard on the rear brake, and the rear got a tiny bit out of shape. But didn't even stall. So guess it is coming back to me.

Sorry for rambling. Just very excited about this whole thing. Ive had a smile on my face the entire time I've been riding!

There are some online resources such as:

Sport riding techniques by Kenny Rogers and Nick I.

A Twist of the Wrist

More Motorcycling

...that may help you with some more advanced techniques, but there is no substitute for saddle time.

Congratulations!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats......Was out your way awhile back....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 PM

I had a Buell and I did a front wheelie (not on purpose. I think I thought the brake was the clutch) that didnít stop. I went right on over but thanks to ATGATT, I wasnít hurt bad, just a separated shoulder. After this incident I attended a Safe Riders Course that Harley sponsored. I learned a lot and it got me comfortable on the bike again. It was the best 100.00 I spent that year. If you can find a Riders Class near you, you will not be sorry if you invest in it and attend.
azmatnawaz likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 PM

Congratulations! this is a great all-around bike, and very forgiving. You think it and it goes there, almost. This is the closest you will get to flying, on the ground that is. Before long it will just become an extension of you. Always practice paying attention to driving and what's around and in front of you. And practice controlled braking in a back parking lot from 20 mph. Enjoy!
azmatnawaz likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Doing errands on a bike is a pain in the ass, and I was loving every damn minute of it.
Having to gear up/down every stop adds so much time, but the blasting between the stops makes up for it in a big way.
Even braved the freeway, it was out of my league and got off after a couple of exits, too windy to try and learn today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post
And practice controlled braking in a back parking lot from 20 mph. Enjoy!
I actually went out to the community college this afternoon (they have the MSFcourse laid out in the parking lot) Spent some time going over what I am worst at. Positive side is after flubbing the "box" on the test on a little 250 during my class (put a foot down), today on the Versys I had zero problem doing continuous figure 8's inside the box. Still a lot of practice needed on everything, but rome not in a day etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Congrats......Was out your way awhile back....
Nice! Next time hit me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRuffner View Post
If you can find a Riders Class near you, you will not be sorry if you invest in it and attend.
Yep, went through the MSF course at the local college. Got the basics covered and well worth the 2 days of time. Once I get a bit further along in my skills, I plan on seeking out some intermediate classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie View Post
There are some online resources such as:
Thank you for the recommendations. Ill for sure check them out.
Rotten Ronnie likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Stay away from roads with shopping centers until you gain more experience. The bike needs to be an extension of you so you can focus on what others are doing. Find some quiet back roads and a large empty parking lot to do your practicing. The first six months are crucial in building your skills.

Remember that Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.
Skill plus situational awareness is what keeps you out of harms way.
ATGATT might save you some skin when the other two fail.
azmatnawaz, timster and Kyle E like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Riding a bike is by Sight - it will go where you see.. be careful and be safe.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
Congrats Kyle E! Welcome back to the world of 2 wheels! You were smart to take the MSF course. One thing I can tell you is be as visible as possible to prevent cars cutting you off. I live and work in a very congested area. Cars would pull out in front of me all the time until I started wearing Hi Viz gear. Now they can clearly see me and it has almost completely eliminated this problem. A simple Hi Viz vest over your jacket will work wonders. You still have to keep your head on a swivel for the completely clueless!!

Keep riding, keep practicing safety and you will be a pro in no time.

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode