ANOTHER "boring" BC day...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
ANOTHER "boring" BC day...!

About a year ago I rode with a friend, Ray, he on a KLR, me on the Green Hornet (and wrote a thread on it), from Peachland, BC, via dirt and some pavement, to Princeton, then Hedley - site of a famous gold mine hanging near-vertically from the mountain - then up one of the twistiest roads ANYWHERE, the Hedley Nickel Plate Road, named after a huge mine on top of the mountain, the road dirt and gravel WITH ABOUT A THOUSAND TURNS AND SWITCHBACKS rising from about 1500' ASL (sorry, but I neglected to check what exactly the altitude was at the bottom) to 6,349' at the top.

Ray has made plans to move from this area back to the "Big Smoke" - Toronto - so we made plans to do the ride again (so I could get some GPS waypoints for future rides on it) before his leaving. Then he sold his KLR BEFORE we could ride it again !

So WHAT would any self-respecting 'Versatile' V-rider do...? Yup - get out the maps and try it solo, which I did yesterday. Forecast was to get close to 100F again so my 100oz 'Platypus' was filled-up while I put mesh pants on along with a NON-mesh jacket, the better to delay evaporation while enhancing it, as I could soak my t-shirt for cooling. Left here at 0900, and started up the Princeton Road in Peachland at 1000hrs. It turns to dirt pretty quickly, so I was busy watching for "familiar" dirt trails cutting off it to the south, occasionally stopping to re-check my maps, then making a waypoint prior to turning off the main road IN CASE I'd found the right trail. I tried a few trails, but all of them petered out within a mile or so, so it was back to the gravel road, eliminating the waypoints I'd made for them.

There's lots of logging in BC so I wasn't surprised to feel, then see, a huge logging truck coming up in my 6. Pulled well over to let him pass, waiting for the dust to subside at least a LITTLE before starting up, then within minutes saw a FULL one coming towards me in HIS cloud of dust! Luck was with me and these were the only two I saw, as I turned southerly onto another gravel road which did NOT have dust all over the bushes and trees along the sides, presumably because no logging was happening in that area.

About 1100hrs my GPS began indicating that the Summerland-Princeton dirt road was paralleling me, just south of my position, and I came upon the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway) right-of-way, now a hiking/ biking/ motorized trail heading west, MY direction, so I joined onto it for the next 30 minutes till it joined into the Summerland-Princeton dirt road, near a creek. Looked like a good lunch site as well as 'water-for-my-teeshirt' site, so I put the Green Hornet onto its stand, pulled out my tripod and camera for a picture, then took my lunch-break. Afterwards, pulling the soaking tee over my head was definitely a "WHO-O-O THAT'S COLD!" moment, but it settled down to very comforting as it cooled me.

After another 20 to 30 minutes the road became paved, so I turned up 'the wick', passing many cottages, and soon was passing Princeton, headed east on the "Old Hedley Highway", staying off the main east-west highway and its attendant traffic. Soon I rode through Hedley, stopping only for a couple of pics, then east to that twisty road I mentioned earlier - the Hedley Nickel Plate Road - (but first I stopped at a culvert to re-soak my t-shirt) and some more pics as I rode up above 6,300'. (I apologize for the pic of the "Hedley Nickel Plate Road" on my GPS being out-of-focus.)

From the top, that dirt road passes through MANY more switch-backs till it joins the Apex Mountain ski-hill road back down to Highway 97 in Penticton, and about 45 minutes of paved 97 to Kelowna where I live. The Apex road is LONG and a JOY to ride, but you need to be mindful of gravel thrown onto the travel portion in switch-backs and turns, probably by pickups going wide.
That's possibly a 30 minute ride JUST down to 97 at the speed limit of 60 KPH (36 mph), but I MIGHT have made it a BIT sooner... !

When I filled up in Kelowna for my second time yesterday (11L of gas) I had achieved 73.6 mpgImperial (58.8 mpgUS), not too bad considering that of that 286 kms, probably 100 to 120 was on gravel (on ContiMotion tires, which are NOT DS rubber!), and as you can see from my GPS pics at the end, my average speed, and max, weren't excessive.

A good day was had, even IF I have to wash the bike sometime soon!

PS - I'm hoping that Ray can tell me exactly where the trails I missed start, for NEXT time!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08065.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	15188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08066.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	15189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08067.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	15190   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08068.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	15191   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08069.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	15192  

Name:	DSC08070.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	15193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08071.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	15194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08073.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	15195   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08074.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	15196   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08075.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	15197  

Name:	DSC08077.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	15198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08078.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	15199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08079.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	15200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08080.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	15201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08081.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	15202  

Name:	DSC08084.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	15203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08085.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	15204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08088.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	15205   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08089.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08090.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	15207  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 07-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful Area.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you can't shake the heat huh? Nice dense forest. Rained hard here today...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Yesterday I thought I'd go out and try to find the trail I remembered. Ray e-mailed me some directions, which I planned to follow.

I started out same as before, but his directions seemed to coincide with what I'd already done, so - I tried EVERY road or trail I could find, left and right. After close to 100 kms (62 miles) of gravel, I came to the conclusion that, MAYBE, I was remembering a trail from a DIFFERENT ride....

I had no particular plans to ride the whole route, so after a couple of hours I "did a 180" and headed for Ray's place, to see if he was home.

He was, and over some cool water we discussed the routing. His conclusion...? The BC Forestry Service had opened up a 2-track trail into a full blown gravel road as another logging operation got underway. Took some more pics though.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08091.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	15241   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08092.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	15242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08093.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	15243   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08094.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	15244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08095.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15245  

Name:	DSC08096.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	15246  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode