5 Days in Lewiston, ID - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
5 Days in Lewiston, ID

Last month I led a group of 6 other riders over to Lewiston, ID for 5 days of fun. I was out that way last September with most of the same riders for 3 days and that was one of the best rides I've had, so we couldn't wait to go back for some more. Given that it basically takes a day to ride from Seattle to Lewiston we would have 3 days in ID instead of just the one. Many hours of online exploration had produced some promising looking routes so, fingers crossed that it would be as good as last year, off we went.

Took the same route as last year to get there. Pretty straight roads for most of the way but a little detour through the orchards of Frenchman Hills made it quite interesting. Things don't really start to heat up though till you take the turn off to Starbuck.

US-261 to Starbuck

Small detour to see Palouse Falls

Dropping off the tent at Hells Gate State Park we finished off the day with a quick 100 mile run to Rattlesnake Grade. Arguably the best road in WA, it is simply a fantastic place to ride a bike.

North end of Rattlesnake

South end of Rattlesnake

The Rattlesnake?

Day 2 saw us repeat the loop from last year that took in Winchester Grade, Greer Grade and the Old Spiral Hwy. No pictures from Winchester or Greer as they are difficult places to photograph. Plenty of raw video footage which I will get around to processing sometime soon. Old Spiral Hwy has to be one of the best roads in the country. Simply amazing piece of engineering with many many sweeping bends as it winds its way up the steep hills outside Lewiston. It has been bypassed by a modern highway so that means there is little traffic on the road but the road condition is still A1.

[i]Panorama of Old Spiral Hwy[i]

Day 3 saw us heading out into the back country

Having fun on some gravel

You can have anything you want, so long as it's Huckleberry

Rolling hills

More gravel, and that's a Harley Dual Sportster in the background!

Day 4 and we went north
Headed up through St Joe's Natl Forest where there was a fantastic little twisty section (full of trees though so no photos). Skirted the south side of Cour de Alene lake (fun but lots of traffic) and then south to Steptoe Butte.

View from top

Snake River

Day 5 and we head home

A couple of videos from the trip. First a short one covering all 5 days

A then a longer one covering just the 50 miles of Asotin & Rattlesnake.

If you get the chance to ride in this area, take it. It's hard to find a bad road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Wow and WOW!!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Great pictures! Had you waited to this week (5 days in July) you could have had theme music too...

http://www.bluerodeo.com/music/disco...52ea52&album=9

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Wow and WOW!!
Ditto...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 12:21 AM

My back yard, literally. I love it.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode