Ready for the Blue Ridge Parkway !!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ready for the Blue Ridge Parkway !!!

Start of our weeklong camping trip is three days away. Can you believe THIS one? .... brother-in-law has become so impressed with my Versys, HE WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A 2012 VERSYS FOR HIMSELF !!! He knew his Harley Wide-Glide just wouldn't cut the mustard. He's been going farkle crazy; crash bars, highway pegs, handlebar riser, Givi top case and soft saddlebags. Just hoping for decent weather and a safe trip.

If any other members happen to see us on the Parkway, please pull over (safely ) so we can talk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Garage
Such a beautiful route. Hope your weather is great. Enjoy!

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Enjoy! I rode on it for a bit in VA a couple of weekends ago when I went camping but not for a whole WEEK.....I'm envious.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Have fun, stay safe......I was just on the BRP a couple weeks ago. My favorite road anywhere
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM

I rode to Maggie Valley Last Friday night. Got up at 5am Saturday morning and was riding the BRP by 6am. We didn't see another car or bike for at least an hour of riding. We ate breakfast at the Pisgah Inn and then headed to Mt Mitchell. The scenery was awesome early in the morning. We had a great weekend up there.

Picture from our table at the Pisgah Inn

Mt Mitchell

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Enjoy the ride and watch out for deer. They come out big time before dark. Had one jump out of the woods and land on the windshield of a minivan coming toward me. It was like a 3D movie with the deer flying through the air right toward me. I hit the throttle it it passed between me and my riding buddy.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm in roanoke... if you need assistance or just a cold beer..let me know
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments and invite. I'll send you a PM tsunamichop007. Can't guarantee our schedules will mesh, but it would be nice to meet up if possible.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM

Just got back to Burlington, Vermont from a tour of the BRP and the Smokey Mountains. Wow!! What a trip. Spent the first night in a cabin at a Front Royal campground. Hit Skyline at 6am, bears and deer! Next night was at Boone campground, lots of skunks. 6am traveled to Ski Beech and Valle Cruiz, on 194, a deer almost ran into me. Incredible curvey roads, Hotel in Cherokee, needed a good night sleep. 6am on Newfound Gap road to Clingmans Dome, No traffic, took pictures of the sun coming up. Then went to Caves Code, then took the Parsons road. This was a tricky, enjoyed the back country but was a little nervous, what happens if my bike has a problem? That's why I have a Versys, it's dependable. Ended up on the Dragon, I have never seen so many fast riders! For me it was a thrill to watch these knee draggers. Then traveled to Cataloochee Valley, saw Elk number 24, and a few bears. Met some wonderful rangers! This is another tricky road, thanks for my Versys the road was fun. Camp that night at the Nascar campground in Maggie Valley. It was funny to see my solo tent amongst all of the RV's. Next day, out at 5am and started my journey back from the beginning of the BRP. Watch for the turkeys! The views were amazing! And again there in almost no traffic between 5am and 8am. This journey was one I will make again soon, I enjoyed every moment, the riding and this area has so much to offer!
Didn't see any Versys in NC, TN or VA, but saw a blue one going south on 81 and a blue one going south on 88. Almost all of the bikes were Harley's or look alikes, Surprised with the number of trikes. Not the Can Am style. Ride early in the morning, but be careful of animals. The BRP is it great shape and for me the road from the end to just passed Boone was the interesting, meaning great views. Had lots of fun, till next time, Enjoy!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Hey pe4u, sounds like your trip was just as great as ours. Scenery was spectacular. Hospitality was great (thanks again for lunch Tsunami). Met a lot of nice folks. Roads were twisty and enjoyable. I actually was able to get most of the 'flat spot' worn off the rear tire . Everywhere we went, others wanted to know about the Versys. Our daily mileage of 160 miles or so was spot on. Considering we were tent camping, stopping to see some sights, and made it a point to go down into towns off the parkway for lunch and dinner, more daily mileage would have been too much. We put on a total of 1601 miles for the entire trip. We even got to sleep in the campground's laundry room because of the windstorm/tornado warning for Winchester, VA !!! Can't wait till next year.

P.S. - Check out my updated 'states visited' shown below

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to HumbleRider
I will be in Maggie Valley a week from Monday. A friend is going there for a Yamaha Raider rally. I'm tagging along...

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

Dennis Hartman
Crosby, TX

2009 Kawasaki Versys (Blue)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Proposed to #2 on one of those look outs. Great road. Marriage started out good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode