Vince not dead yet adventure ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vince not dead yet adventure ride

I took part in Vince's "Not dead yet" ride yesterday in Otis, MA.

There was me and another fellow blue Versys rider...anyone from the forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM

It was my Versys piloted by my friend John. I was on the R1150GS/Ural sidecar rig.

It was a great time! I was prepared to see the Versys on its side, and I wasn't disappointed. Barkbusters and HT engine guards did their job. Only damage was a bent brake pedal (bent completely into a U-shape -- no idea how that happened).

The Dunlops did not do well in the mud, but the bike otherwise performed very well. I think you had some serious-looking knobbies on yours, how did they do?

'09 Kawasaki Versys
'05 Kawasaki ZZR1200
'01 BMW R1150GS/Ural combo
'86 Honda V65 Magna
'81 Honda C70
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
It was my Versys piloted by my friend John. I was on the R1150GS/Ural sidecar rig.

It was a great time! I was prepared to see the Versys on its side, and I wasn't disappointed. Barkbusters and HT engine guards did their job. Only damage was a bent brake pedal (bent completely into a U-shape -- no idea how that happened).

The Dunlops did not do well in the mud, but the bike otherwise performed very well. I think you had some serious-looking knobbies on yours, how did they do?
Nice to see it was someone from here!

Yes, it was great indeed, but that was quite a long ride for me, about 800 miles round trip.

For the bent brake pedal, that happened to me once. I just dropped the bike on grass and the pedal bent pretty easily just digging into the ground, but it was quite easy also to unbend. Thin aluminum ...

Knobbies, yes, my front wheel is a Heidenau K60, my back wheel is a Shinko 705DS. I had no issues with mud, but had to ride slowly in hero sections, I bottomed the suspension a couple of time. Some pictures of the K60 installed here: http://www.dsaventurequebec.com/2012...shinko-en.html

I was quite impress with your bike, I remember seeing you arrive at the first gas stop. Wanted to take a picture for my blog - but did not- quite unique bike!

Last edited by burnedstar; 05-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedstar View Post
...For the bent brake pedal, that happened to me once. I just dropped the bike on grass and the pedal bent pretty easily just digging into the ground, but it was quite easy also to unbend. Thin aluminum ...
Beg to differ, UNLESS yours is the "racing" version....

Just stuck a magnet to MY brake lever, so IT is "thin steel"...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Beg to differ, UNLESS yours is the "racing" version....

Just stuck a magnet to MY brake lever, so IT is "thin steel"...!

You are right! Did the same here...I would have thought steel was tougher than that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode