Lower 48 Two Up with Canada and maybe Mexico! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lower 48 Two Up with Canada and maybe Mexico!

Hola.. From June 6th to July 8th I will be taking a trip through almost the lower 48 on my Versys with my Wife. I will be leaving from SW Florida and starting west. I plan to hit as many famous cities and sites as possible while also trying to enjoy the time. I have a tentative route planned though nothing is set in stone and plans or routes could change during the trip. I assume when we reach San Francisco that would be a good time to get some fresh rubber and maint. if needed.

I consider myself about 95% ready as i have less then a month before the journey starts. I have traveled lots in the SE so much time will not be spent in that region.

Any advice or tips are much welcomed!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	14613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	14614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	14615  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 PM

YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST!!! I did a 3 week trip a few years back solo. Northern Cali had some incredible places. I fully suggest taking the 299 from the coast in, that road was one of my favorite times. Lots of twists, elavation changes and very beautiful areas to stop and rest. I also suggest stiopping into Shingleton in Cali for breakfast at the Single Shingle. Best huevos racheros I have ever had!

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Travel safe and have fun! If my back injury improves by then I hope to be touring around that time also through the Pacific and Rocky Mountain states, (as well as Mexico). My girlfriend has ridden around 20k miles in the pillion position. We're both fans of the Airhawk seat cushions. Carry a tire plug kit, and inflator. I personally like to spend most of my touring in the mountains in the summer due to cooler weather and twistier roads even if they have afternoon T-storms, so I often forgo the touristy spots if they draw me into the flatlands.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Garage
That's epic, trooper. Best of luck on yourjourney. Enjoy!

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 PM

That trip is getting close now- has the excitement set in yet? Are you planning to stay in hotels? Tents?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Yes we are very exited and it seems like I'm counting down the seconds until we depart. I have a tire plug kit and a can of slime but hopefully I don't have to use them.

We plan to stay on the low ground and about 10 of the nights will be stayed with friends and family that are spread out along the trip. The other nights will be in hotels. I will look up the 299 and the huevos rancheros sound good!

Thanks, Eric
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 AM

You should bring the dog looks really happy on your Versys
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Looks like you'll be near the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way back down from the Northeast, so I recommend hitting as much of that as you can, especially if you've never been on it before. Perfect for riding, with lots of smooth twisties, no intersections or anything to make you stop (except for the great overlooks!), and hopefully traffic at a minimum or at least moving at a healthy pace ;-)

2009 Dark Titanium Kawasaki Versys
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 (Current Project)
2007 Suzuki SV650
2003 Yamaha FZ1
2002 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic
1993 Suzuki Katana
1987 Kawasaki KD80
Honda CT70 (Where it all began!)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Can't exactly tell from map but if you need a place to stay or anything in and around the Phoenix area, let me know.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 PM

On June 1, my wife and I are leaving California headed to Florida (and back). We'll be on the road about a month. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Michael
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMultiKawa View Post
Looks like you'll be near the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way back down from the Northeast, so I recommend hitting as much of that as you can, especially if you've never been on it before. Perfect for riding, with lots of smooth twisties, no intersections or anything to make you stop (except for the great overlooks!), and hopefully traffic at a minimum or at least moving at a healthy pace ;-)
Georgia, I have spent some time at the "Gap" and riding around the blue ridge and for sure I will be spending some more time!

Eric
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Can't exactly tell from map but if you need a place to stay or anything in and around the Phoenix area, let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
On June 1, my wife and I are leaving California headed to Florida (and back). We'll be on the road about a month. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Michael
Buckeye, Im planning to stay in or around the Sedona area and also around the GC if possible.. Any must recommendations or tips? If you had two days in that area what would you advise for some "Tourist"? haha

Michael, Sounds like the exact trip just different starting points.. are you riding the north or south on the trip to Fl? Im planing to do the south first and head north up the PCH from San Fran to maybe around Portland if the pace is quick enough..

Thanks,
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltrooper View Post
Michael, Sounds like the exact trip just different starting points.. are you riding the north or south on the trip to Fl?
Eric,

We will likely take a more central route with less of a loop than you are taking. We have friends in Orem (Utah), Tulsa, Memphis and the Daytona Beach area, so we will probably string those together with a stop at Barber Motorsports Park

We are being very loose with our plans; where we go may be driven by weather (rain, snow, heat, tornadoes, hurricanes) and whim.

Michael
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
Eric,

We will likely take a more central route with less of a loop than you are taking. We have friends in Orem (Utah), Tulsa, Memphis and the Daytona Beach area, so we will probably string those together with a stop at Barber Motorsports Park

We are being very loose with our plans; where we go may be driven by weather (rain, snow, heat, tornadoes, hurricanes) and whim.

Michael
Mike, Sounds like great fun! I have been to BMP, the Museum is second to none and make sure you have plenty of time to check out all the amazing machines they have! Even my non-motor head wife was very impressed with the Museum. It is a small world and who knows maybe we will cross paths! Ride Safe!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Buckeye, Im planning to stay in or around the Sedona area and also around the GC if possible.. Any must recommendations or tips? If you had two days in that area what would you advise for some "Tourist"? haha ...Thanks,
Take a look at 89 ALT south from Sedona to Prescott, then south from there on 89 to Wilhoit, on Mapquest. FABULOUS motorcycle roads!

And then you can turn around and ride the SAME roads north!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:11 PM

Trips like this are why I rebirthed the "lend a couch" thread... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=7001&page=6

Here is the map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...23eb0502&msa=0

This could come in handy and save you a bunch of money and time.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Buckeye, Im planning to stay in or around the Sedona area and also around the GC if possible.. Any must recommendations or tips? If you had two days in that area what would you advise for some "Tourist"? haha
Thanks,
What Fast eddie said , plus if you can come through Utah via Rt 24 from Hanksville to Rt 12 to Bryce Canyon to Rt 89 to Zion, then south through Kanab to GC you won't regret it. That's one of the most speco rides in the US IMO.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
Trips like this are why I rebirthed the "lend a couch" thread... http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?t=7001&page=6

Here is the map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...23eb0502&msa=0

This could come in handy and save you a bunch of money and time.

BAMF, Thanks and It just so happens that Philly may happen to be a stopping point on the way back south on the last of June or First of July! I always wanted to try a Real Philly Steak Sandwich!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Can't do much wrong in and around Sedona. Be sure to see the Chapel of the Holy Cross just outside of town. If you don't go all the way down 89 Alt at least go to Jerome. I assume you'll head out of town up Oak Creek Canyon, awesome. South rim of the Grand Canyon on everyones bucket list. Was there last month and experience what the Tower of Babel must have been like. Couldn't even guess what all the languages people were speaking.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

http://www.tripcolor.com/user/31396

Check out my above link to follow my blog.. So far were about to start day 3 attempting to cross Texas from Humble to Amarillo so we can ride down rt. 66 to Abq! The bike is running great and has plenty of power to haul us around though the front end is pretty light! Ciao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode