Signed up for Total Control class - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Signed up for Total Control class

I am going for the Total Control ARC class on Saturday at a community college close to me. I am not sure how much I will learn, but I know I will learn a few things. Anyone has any experience with those on their Versys?
stallhorn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did it on some bike.
You'll learn a bunch.
Have fun.

MotoEd
jose jimenez is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Member
 
razteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
let us know how it went.
razteo is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You can't learn too much about riding a motorcycle. Look forward to learning about your experience.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Bones is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,436
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
I am going for the Total Control ARC class on Saturday at a community college close to me. I am not sure how much I will learn, but I know I will learn a few things. Anyone has any experience with those on their Versys?
I did the ARC class in Gilbert, AZ a few years back. Great course, learned a lot, and dragged a footpeg there for the FIRST time!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how bout a linky...i want to learn too.

md and az...so is it a franchise or something?
broham is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Member
 
AzItLies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.
AzItLies is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Member
 
Baron650's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I took the Total Control down in Arizona about 5 years ago. Rented a sportbike in Phoenix. Great class and a nice escape from soggy Portland to some winter sunshine .
My son is taking it in the NW this summer, Olympia maybe?
Baron650 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I took the Total Control class and happy to report it went really well. I learned a bunch - how to be smooth on the throttle, how to trail-brake (dragging the brakes while still on the gas - worked very well with both brakes for me), looking into the turn (you are looking at where you are going instead of what is infront of you), and body position.

What made the biggest difference is smoothness on the throttle, body position, and looking into the turn. When you look into the turn, you stop looking at your turn point about 10 - 15 feet before you get there and crank your neck over to look 180 degrees at your exit point. You will also have your body position to the inside of the turn and lean the bike slightly to the outside until you get to your turn point. Then you keep your body position where it is and lean the bike using your inside arm ONLY. The outside arm should be relaxed and be there on the handlebar.. can't do any input with the steering.

I, and the other guys in the class were coming back with body as the bike leaned over - which essentially meant leaning the bike more to maintain the same turn radius. So towards the end, we were doing figure 8's and transitioning body position from right to left, while the bike is still leaned over the other way.

We also learned about suspension, sag, damping, etc.

It is a lot of fun. Getting a feedback from someone who you trust knows what he is doing makes a big difference in boosting your confidence. And you learn to have faith in your and your bike's abilities.

The one thing that I didn't quite like is that you have to wait for your turn while the guy infront of you goes through his drill and get comments from the teacher. When you have 6 guys (5 guys and a gal in my case) going around the figure 8 three times each and then talking to the instructor, you can wait for a bit between drills.

$335.00 isn't too bad for what you get out of it.

Here is their website:

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/

Last edited by stallhorn; 05-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
stallhorn is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Member
 
AzItLies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
good write up stallhorn, thanks for that.

That should be very informative to anyone thinking about taking advanced training. I teach the BRC and the ERC and with the latter, it's always surprising how many experienced riders don't get a good head turn... it's such an important part of riding well. It's not the only part, but it's a critical part nonetheless.

enjoy!
AzItLies is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Member
 
kevrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: reno
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
good write up stallhorn, thanks for that.
+1. that's useful info, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
I teach the BRC and the ERC and with the latter, it's always surprising how many experienced riders don't get a good head turn...
+1 again. i used to teach BRC in a previous life, many moons ago. i saw quite a few longtime riders pass thru the class. it was unnerving to watch and amazing to think they had survived for so long riding as they did. i was glad to see those guys taking to the class before the luck ran out. it's easy to spot untrained riders on the street. hopefully they are the rare exception among forum members....

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kevrider is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waynesboro PA
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallhorn View Post
I took the Total Control class and happy to report it went really well. I learned a bunch - how to be smooth on the throttle, how to trail-brake (dragging the brakes while still on the gas - worked very well with both brakes for me), looking into the turn (you are looking at where you are going instead of what is infront of you), and body position.

What made the biggest difference is smoothness on the throttle, body position, and looking into the turn. When you look into the turn, you stop looking at your turn point about 10 - 15 feet before you get there and crank your neck over to look 180 degrees at your exit point. You will also have your body position to the inside of the turn and lean the bike slightly to the outside until you get to your turn point. Then you keep your body position where it is and lean the bike using your inside arm ONLY. The outside arm should be relaxed and be there on the handlebar.. can't do any input with the steering.

I, and the other guys in the class were coming back with body as the bike leaned over - which essentially meant leaning the bike more to maintain the same turn radius. So towards the end, we were doing figure 8's and transitioning body position from right to left, while the bike is still leaned over the other way.

We also learned about suspension, sag, damping, etc.

It is a lot of fun. Getting a feedback from someone who you trust knows what he is doing makes a big difference in boosting your confidence. And you learn to have faith in your and your bike's abilities.

The one thing that I didn't quite like is that you have to wait for your turn while the guy infront of you goes through his drill and get comments from the teacher. When you have 6 guys (5 guys and a gal in my case) going around the figure 8 three times each and then talking to the instructor, you can wait for a bit between drills.

$335.00 isn't too bad for what you get out of it.

Here is their website:

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/
Glad you liked it. I helped the instructor set up his course when he was going to teach it at Hagerstown Community College. He wanted to use our truck driving range so I made myself available to help him measure and paint little blue dots everywhere. I dont think the course ever took place here because there wasnt enough interest. I was watching the roster for the first couple of offerings and no one signed up. I dont know if it was $$ that turned people off of if it was because he already offered the course just down the road in Frederick. I think it was because we also offered the advanced MSF course, which is considerably cheaper and many people dont know that Total Control is different than the MSF course. He stopped offering it here this year.

Last edited by ray h; 05-20-2012 at 02:40 PM.
ray h is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome